AWOL on XP

X

xane

Argh ! I installed Windows XP Pro and re-installed BF1942, plus 1.2 patch. There is no sound and the mouse doesn't work, so I get no further than the first GUI screen.

Any clues ?

W

Will

You aren't alone in this problem, I'm having a search for you, but I have a training course in 30 minutes.

W

Will

From random poster on EA forums
Now like many AMD owners the chipset on my motherboard is VIA, so you have to use the 4 in 1 drivers, this I have discovered is where the problems lied. I was running the latest drivers fro VIATECH which are 4.43. In a last bid attempt to fix the problem I searched the internet and found that the most stable seemed to be 4.41 so I uninstalled the 4.43 and then installed 4.41. I have now been playing BF1942 for 5 hours with no crash this is a first and longest for me. So I think (fingers crossed) this was the problem. Not sure it is the solution for all but for ppl with VIA chipsets and desktops crashes, get rid of 4.43 download 4.41 and try it.
That any help?

W

Will

And more stuff

From EA Tech Support, but without the crap advice
The latest patch will allow you to change your in game refresh rate, however you would have to edit a game configuration file. If you wish to do so, please follow these steps below (not recommended if the game already launches correctly):

Go to: My computer, then C drive, then Program Files, EA GAMES, Battlefield 1942, then the Settings folder. In that folder you will see a file called VideoDefault.con. You will want to double click this file to open it. If it asks you what Program to use (in Windows XP you will first want to choose "Display a list of programs for me to choose from), choose Wordpad. In there you will see a line with this command:

renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 0

Change the 0 to a 1 and then Save the file. This will allow refresh rates above 60 Hz in the game.

If the trouble persists past this point, please try there following:

When running DirectX games, some video driver's acceleration features may conflict with the Window's acceleration features. Follow the steps to adjust Hardware Acceleration:
1. Press the right mouse button on the "My Computer" icon from your Desktop.
2. Select "Properties" from the menu that appears.
3. Select the "Performance" tab from the "System Properties" window.
4. Select the "Graphics..." button.
5. Select the "Hardware acceleration" bar from the " Advanced Graphics Settings" window and turn it to "FULL." if it is not already set to FULL.

You will need to lower a Hardware Sound Acceleration setting on your computer to "basic". To do this, follow these steps:
1. Enter the DirectX Diagnostic Tool
(go to start, then click on run, and type in dxdiag, hit the OK button)
2. Select the sound tab at the top of the tool.
3. Set the Hardware Sound Acceleration Slider to "Basic".
Apparently fixes the problem you describe. The other stuff was "Check you have nothing running" and "Check you have the right CD in" and that sort of thing.

X

xane

I upgraded both the Detonator (41.09) and VIA 4-in-1 (4.41) with no result.

I'll try that refresh rate issue, and the sound acceleration too.

Thx.

W

Will

No problem. Good luck with it, it does sound like the refresh issue, I had that when I added the 1.1 patch.

X

xane

Just to clarify I am not actually getting into the game at all.

The first "movie" is the spinning EA logo, I know it normally makes a whirr-cluck noise, it does not now, no sound.

The first menu with the "user" profile selection has no background music, and the mouse is not responding, the cursor stays in the middle of the screen, I can alt-tab out and kill the program, but I can't progress further into the game.

Is this the "refresh" issue, any indicators/links would help ?

W

Will

No, its not, the refresh rate issue is a crash to desktop, not a lock.

I'll have another dig for you in a bit.

X

xane

FYI I've already scanned the EA Tech support to no avail.

W

Will

*scratches that option from the list"

I'll get a coffee and ponder some.

W

Will

Apparently there is a log file somewhere in the BF1942 folder. Worth a look to see if anything is there.

X

xane

Issue solved, I had installed patch 1.2 without going through 1.1 first, easy really, but not actually that obvious.

I was distracted by my Hauppauge WinTV card not being recognised, it was an "unknown device" until I tracked down the XP drivers for it, then the diagnostics tool in BF1942 started listing it as the main soundcard, so I was chasing that wild goose for a while.

Thanks.

P

Pac^

hmmm..just reinstalled bf1942 after a reformat going straight to 1.2 patch, runs better now than it did b4!

W

wildie

fyi

if u own a amd on a via mobo and run xp, install the 4 in 1 drivers as win2k, after all its based on nt kernel.
also if u have a sb live you may want to try this,
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001

and this

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameters]
"ServiceDll"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,\
00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,\
64,00,6e,00,73,00,72,00,73,00,6c,00,76,00,72,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,\
"NegativeCacheTime"=dword:0000003c

it stops the sound stuttering in bf.

ps not xp home

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom