Automating in Dreamweaver.

R

Rubber Bullets

Hi,

I posted the link to my photo gallery in the general forum.

The gallery was created in Dreamweaver 4 using the automated 'create web photo album...' function on the Commands tab.

This seemed a great way to do it, and it set the whole thing up very quickly, but the problem was that it was all on a white background and with the tables aligned left.

For each photo page I then had to go in and change background colour, text colour, table alignment, border width and border colour.

Once I got in the swing it was quite quick, but over the 50 or so pages I did it to I did get to thinking that there has got to be a quicker way. :)

I tried the 'Start Recording' function, thinking that it was like the 'create action' function in PS but it wouldn't record things like select table, and anyway I could never get it to replay things I thought it had recorded.

I am clearly being stupid, and would be very grateful if any answers you do feel like giving can be explained in such a way as to take this stupidity into account.

Thanks

RB

for those who want to see what I'm talking about it is here sorry for pimping again.

W

wyrd_fish

why not try to make a dynamic gallery
you would only have to cange one page then...

PS pimpage is what this forum is all about *cough click here cough* ...

excuse me i have a bad throught :D

F

FatBusinessman

Stylesheets, stylesheets I tell you!

Dreamweaver should have a facility to put a common stylesheet in for all of your pages. Find it. Use it.

S

(Shovel)

A liitle militant there Fatty...

Dreamweaver does indeed have excellent support for styles and CSS.

I don't know how this generation works, but when you prepare you initial page (I assume this is how it works), apply some styles to each font or table tag, and link to a common stylesheet as well. With these in place, you'll be able to completely alter the appearence of all the pages just by modifying the stylesheet.

The alternative, as suggested, is to implement a dynamic solution using php. It doesn't necesarily need a database, depending on how much detail you want displayed with each picture, again this will need a bit of learning on your part.

W

wyrd_fish

unless you already know PHP, in which caase your laugthing :)

W

wyrd_fish

why not... makes it the better for beating people with... duh.

Users who are viewing this thread