Auto Log-Out

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
This is really doing my head in: it is set to way too low a value. If I spend a few minutes doing something else, and then come back, I almost always have to log back in.

What's the current auto log out time? What can we realistically extend it to?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
erm. it never logs me out?

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Swift^

There are two possible causes for this.

The first possibility is the 'Remember Me' option when logging in. You need to tick this box otherwise your login will soon be forgotten (for example, when you close the browser window). Once you have logged in via this method, your login will be remembered until you either log out or clear your cookies (small text files used by your browser to store information).

The second possibility involves the cookie itself. Your browser settings, or any internet security software you use, may prevent this cookie from being created or stored. The best method to avoid this is to check your settings and add the FreddysHouse website to a 'safe list' which permits the cookie to be stored as normal (I just scanned the contents of the cookie and it's fairly harmless information, just your encrypted login details, last visit information etc.).

Kind regards

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
There is a third option. Anti-wazz forum defences.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
There is a third option. Anti-wazz forum defences.
Ah, good point Ch3tan, don't tick that option when you log in
icon10.gif

Kind regards

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I don't use the 'Remember Me' option for the simple reason it is a work machine. I understand it will log me out, I was just hoping that it would be possible to extend it beyond the 10 minutes or so of idle time I get before I'm forced to log back in again - this is the only place that does so.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Swift^

The plot thickens :) I don't have access to the FreddysHouse admin control panel, so I signed up for a vBulletin demo. Their default session timeout is 900 seconds (15 minutes) of inactivity. I guess if you want this changing then you'd have to ask Deebs, but I think it seems like a fair figure.

With regards it being a work machine, I think it's okay to use the 'Remember Me' option. If security is your concern, then the login details are all encrypted, and you can always log out when you're done. And if privacy is your worry, one cookie won't make much difference. But obviously it's your decision.

Kind regards

leggy

Probably Scottish
I have the same problem on my work laptop. Except the log out happens after only a few minutes (if I don't use the remember me option).

Sar

Part of the furniture
Not the first time I'm sure you've ever uttered those 3 words.

:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom