Music Audiophiles...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
...I'm after some, erm, 1920's-style music.

I'm trying to create an ambience somewhere between Gershwinian decadence, Parisian nightclubs and some up-their-own-ass intellectual's haunt.

But I don't really know where to start. Neeeeed ideas!

What do you love, and I mean love? :)

Sydrik

Resident Freddy
Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellingtons (sp) band, 1920's is all about the Jazz!!

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I think the thread title is misleading, audiophiles to me means someone who invests heavily in the best sounding gear not their taste in music :p (pedantic me? oh yes!)

Back on topic, jazz is just awesome to stress the ears and equipment.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Finding decent recordings from the 1920s will be difficult but there's plenty of big band/swing/jazz stuff from the 30s and 40s you could check out, if that's what you're after. A fine start would be Benny Goodman's legendary Carnegie Hall concert imo.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ta. Keep 'em coming!

As for 1920's stuff specifically - doesn't have to be a particularly decent recordings, I'm after an ambience and crackling doesn't just go well with pork :)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
.... what's this for Scouse?

Musical enjoyment?

... or a specially themed adult party?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Look for interviews with Moby, he uses a fair bit of old gospel.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
.... what's this for Scouse?

Musical enjoyment?

Yup. I'm feeling a bit dandy at the moment.

Well, actually, not at all really. But I went to a pub the other night which was done out all 1920's and they had a great selection of period music. Felt great. Need cheering up and a change is as good as, well, a change.

Plus, it'll bring a smile to the missus' face. And if she's happy then I'm halfway there myself :)

Edit: Specially themed adult party also crossed my mind, so I'll build up to that...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Pampas grass outside house?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
audiophiles to me means someone who invests heavily in the best sounding gear

So, I've just acquired an old Technics SL-1905 (the closest thing on the net I can find is the SL-1900) - sounds great but the arm lift is b0rked. I've tried adjusting the height of the arm lift but I think there's some lube which might need replacing (it's very old and has stood for some time).

Does anyone know anything about old musical equipment? What would you use to clear the old grease out and replace with what new grease? (The hole in question is about a 1mm in diameter so I can't open it up and clean it - it's going to have to be something I can litterally put a single drop in - like isopropyl alcohol to clear the grease then a lube to replace)?

Ideas for a n00b?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
So, I've just acquired an old Technics SL-1905 (the closest thing on the net I can find is the SL-1900) - sounds great but the arm lift is b0rked. I've tried adjusting the height of the arm lift but I think there's some lube which might need replacing (it's very old and has stood for some time).

Does anyone know anything about old musical equipment? What would you use to clear the old grease out and replace with what new grease? (The hole in question is about a 1mm in diameter so I can't open it up and clean it - it's going to have to be something I can litterally put a single drop in - like isopropyl alcohol to clear the grease then a lube to replace)?

Ideas for a n00b?
Unfortunately I do not have any old equipment, especially a turntable though I do have loads of vinyl stashed in the loft. For me you hit the nail on the head, isopropyl is what I would give a try especially as I have a couple of cans of the stuff.

Does the arm feel stiff when you move it yourself?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Does the arm feel stiff when you move it yourself?
The arm's fine - there's a little platform underneath it which governs it's height somewhat and it raises up and down automatically - but I reckon the grease inside has set over a long time of not being used.

I'll give the isopropyl a whirl and see what happens ta :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom