Attaching a DDR module

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Any1 who can refresh my memory how to do it correctly when u arleady have 2 other modules running on ur comp?

I can recall it was swaping btwn them to see if pc works correctly with the configs but im not sure :po

Chronictank

FH is my second home
depends on your motherboard,
most seem to be
1st pair: slots 1 and 3
2nd pair: slots 2 and 4

to keep them in 1t timing

Hollomere

Fledgling Freddie
Just remember mate that if you have any memory that is a slower speed than the others it will drag the speed of all the memory in the array to the slowest one.

Moriatroll

Fledgling Freddie
ye, just to point out the obvious, it is the speed of the ram that matters, not how big it is. To go on from what cronich said, that is only true for motherboards built for pentium processors, or well mostly for them. If u have a Athleon u will prolly not have to worry about this.

Zaffa

Can't get enough of FH
thats it not correct Moriatroll.. athlon 64 do have support for dual channel memory - however if you do not pair the memory it will not use dualchannel.
So if you pair them you get faster speed if you dont it will still work but slower
erhmm RTFM ;)

Achilles

One of Freddy's beloved
If you already have 2 modules DDR installed, there should only be two available slots (probably 2 and 4). Furthermore they are usually colour coded, ie on mine 1 and 3 are green, 2 and 4 are purple, so its pretty hard to screw up. Just ensure you put matched modules in alternate slots ;p.
Earth yourself all the time (touch any non painted metal part of the PC with both your feet on the ground). Each module takes about 20lb of pressure to put in which can be tough if you have a big gfix card that gets in the way, so you might want to take it out before you start.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Achilles said:
If you already have 2 modules DDR installed, there should only be two available slots (probably 2 and 4). Furthermore they are usually colour coded, ie on mine 1 and 3 are green, 2 and 4 are purple, so its pretty hard to screw up. Just ensure you put matched modules in alternate slots ;p.
Earth yourself all the time (touch any non painted metal part of the PC with both your feet on the ground). Each module takes about 20lb of pressure to put in which can be tough if you have a big gfix card that gets in the way, so you might want to take it out before you start.
depends on the board :), cheaper boards rarely bother with colour coded slots.
Always check your manual/manufacturers website for accurate information

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom