ATi Radeon XT + Cat 3.8s

C

Cdr

Originally posted by Gamespy
Instead of tinkering with the BIOS or registry, the next version of the Catalyst drivers will do what is called dynamic overclocking on both Radeon XT boards (but not older boards). Since both cards have variable speed fans and thermal monitors built in, software can be used to bump up the memory and core clock speeds while adjusting the fan to cool more (spin faster) as necessary. If it gets dangerously hot, the software will dynamically slow the memory and core speeds until it finds the "sweet spot."

Quite interesting.

L

lovedaddy

Sounds good, until we get another crazy summer (like in 9 months) and the card has all but disabled itself ;-)

E

Embattle

I'm not to fond of variable fans having had my Shuttle originally set to vary the fan speed, it tends to be the increase and decrease of the fan speed that annoys you more than a constant drone.

C

.Cask

Or a constant "WHOOOOOOOOSH" with my crappy case.

S

(Shovel)

Interesting that it markets it as "auto-overclocking". The question will be whether, in practice, it turns out to be a cause of constant underclocking ... was that not the problem with the nVidia version?

Users who are viewing this thread