Assist

Phantoman

Fledgling Freddie
Its time for assist to go in its present form !
make it like guard protect
not some ahole saying I have target and all nuke

Eithor

Fledgling Freddie
...Or you could use the assist macro that create a button that do exactly what you ask for?

Elitestoner

Can't get enough of FH
i think hes trying to say that assist should only work with one other person like guard/protect? or something.. if that happened would just increase the games reliance on voice comms and further the gap anyway

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
I've been asking to introduce collision detection, removal of stick, follow, face, assist and so on for a long time. Last attacker and auto-target upon damage should be removed too.

Funny how you say learn to play while it's so easy and while there would be sure more to learn without all the above mentioned macros.

In my opinion target calling support in fantasy MMORPGs should be removed, I can accept it to a degree in games like EVE Online where there are target painters but at least you have to learn the corresponding skill to use them.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
In my opinion target calling support in fantasy MMORPGs should be removed, I can accept it to a degree in games like EVE Online where there are target painters but at least you have to learn the corresponding skill to use them.

If anything, a fantasy mmo is kind of the best place to have them. With each realm speaking a different language, surely they could shout out 'help me on this target' ;)

As for making it like guard or so; all it would mean is selecting a new group member instead of macroing it which would lead to pretty much the same result? For the most part, assisting manually is better anyway as you avoid the delay of the server, receiving info on which target your ally has.

All it would do, as someonelse said is widen the gap between people.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
If anything, a fantasy mmo is kind of the best place to have them. With each realm speaking a different language, surely they could shout out 'help me on this target' ;)

Good point but naming the target and having the target targetted are still two different things or?

Himse

FH is my second home
Good point but naming the target and having the target targetted are still two different things or?

Theres assisting and theres assisting well.

I can see why people QQ, a good assist train rly rocks you, but a bad one is easily beatable so, no don't remove it.

Bikkus

Fledgling Freddie
/macro MA /macro assist /assist %T

This creates a macro, then when you target the person you want to assist, click this macro which will then create another macro which you can put on your QB.

Arathar

Fledgling Freddie
I've been asking to introduce collision detection, removal of stick, follow, face, assist and so on for a long time. Last attacker and auto-target upon damage should be removed too.

Funny how you say learn to play while it's so easy and while there would be sure more to learn without all the above mentioned macros.

erm you should try to chase someone with out stick and see how easy it is for that person to escape you (with the "movement-lag".

altho face would be great to remove. /face makes its so easy to know where a target is. example (someone kills a target, you see this, target, /face and that person while he's on a escape, you almost know exactly where to run even tho you dont see him/her.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Imagine that people still whine over /assist

Funny. :)

why not? its a stupid thing that shouldent have been in the game in the first place. same with /face and /stick.

learn to play the game for real insted of using the lazy buttons. as it stands now, anyone claiming "skills" when using those commands are only fooling themself.

would be fun to see what happend if Mythic would remove those commands for a month or two. see just how "skilled" you REALLY are.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
erm you should try to chase someone with out stick and see how easy it is for that person to escape you (with the "movement-lag".

thats where skills come into play :) lag or no lag, if ur skilled at it there wouldent be a problem. theres more then enough CC and shit in the game to use to catch up ppl with.

and without /stick, probably every other class in the game then the usual FOTM ones would be viable to group with.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
It would be a complete caster fest as they don't really have to rely on /stick /face or so to do well. Any tank could simply be run through and kited away. With the game as it is, casters really don't need more of a boost.

The assist thing, despite my understanding of why it's there, could well be removed anyway. It's not exactly needed for people who have been playing for long. I personally favour manual targetting over it the majority of the time, but still just think it'd widen the gap further between certain groups.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
why not? its a stupid thing that shouldent have been in the game in the first place. same with /face and /stick.

Says who?

As far as I remember, they put it in the game to allow people to play the game without being as greatly affected by lag as they otherwise would. Hence you have these tools that allow for a smoother gameplay. Take away that option, and you will have a completely different game. A game that looks more like the FPS you seem to prefer.

learn to play the game for real insted of using the lazy buttons. as it stands now, anyone claiming "skills" when using those commands are only fooling themself.

would be fun to see what happend if Mythic would remove those commands for a month or two. see just how "skilled" you REALLY are.

And now back to the reality the rest of us goes around in ...

Wake up dude... this IS the game. You want to play it a different way... be my guest, just don't expect others to follow you.

Which other part of the game should we remove because it's "unskilled" in your little l33t wannabe world?
How about the widespread use of third-person-view in the game? Should we perhaps limit it to the first person view? Would that remind you more of Counter Strike? Or how about another integrated part of the game, the widespread use of quick binds? Remove those as well!

Or yet a better idea... accept this is the game and stop fooling yourself to think you are anything but whining when claiming its less skilled to use the interface the game supports. Because it seems to me you just can't cut it in the game and hence are whining.

EDIT: Just for fairness sake: It's cool to discuss game mechanics and give reasons why you would prefer things differently as Manisch did in his post. But going foolishly out and claiming others to be less due to the use of game mechanics is just stupidity and arrogant foolishness. Traits you usually put on the wannabes that just can't cut it.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Says who?

As far as I remember, they put it in the game to allow people to play the game without being as greatly affected by lag as they otherwise would.

that was 5 YEARS ago when lag actually was a problem! its nowhere near the same as it was back then. yes, some ppl still lag, either by making themself lag or just by having shit PC's (in one of those cases stick isnt helping shit anyway). but name ONE MMORPG where ppl dont lag. i think this game is the only one i've played that stupifies the gameplay this much by having /stick and shit.

but i guess ppl want the game to play for them for the most part.

its stupid commands thats needed by ppl that refuse to acually try for themself.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
So let me guess ...

You don't use quick binds either because you prefer to click on the quick bar instead of using stupid little commands that play the game for you?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
no i dont use quick binds. i'm doing perfectly fine without them.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
And you don't use artifact use icons either? Instead you right click on the artifact and type "/use" or "/use2" depending on what you want?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
taking it a tad far are we? are u so desperate to proove that i might use something that u think is the same as what i want to take away?

but yes, i do have a /use macro. for the 1 artifact i got. but thats hardly the same as having commands that takes control over some of your character behaviour/movement now is it?

its one thing to have a /use macro for whatever overpowered artifact buff u may have, and a totally diffrent thing to have a command that tells the client to move your character for you, or target whatever someone else is targetting.

i could probably live without that to tho.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
I merely wanted to show what kind of player you are. Apparently you don't use artifacts either.

So uhm... yoiu don't use half the games features and generally moan and piss about them.

Perhaps you just shouldn't play this game dude?

Nate

FH is my second home
So about you respeccing to supp Maronan... :twak:

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I merely wanted to show what kind of player you are. Apparently you don't use artifacts either.

So uhm... yoiu don't use half the games features and generally moan and piss about them.

Perhaps you just shouldn't play this game dude?

what the hell does artifact /use macros got to do with /face /stick and /assist? i never said i wanted /use gone, i said i could live without them

at the moment /use *is* needed, and qbind to for that matter, because of the way to old interface system were cursed with.

assist, face and stick on the other hand, is not.

Bistrup666

Loyal Freddie
It would be a complete caster fest as they don't really have to rely on /stick /face or so to do well. Any tank could simply be run through and kited away. With the game as it is, casters really don't need more of a boost.

The assist thing, despite my understanding of why it's there, could well be removed anyway. It's not exactly needed for people who have been playing for long. I personally favour manual targetting over it the majority of the time, but still just think it'd widen the gap further between certain groups.

yup any melee class would pretty much be fecked as he would have a hard time hitting anyone more than 2 times in a row if the target can just kite abit.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
yup any melee class would pretty much be fecked as he would have a hard time hitting anyone more than 2 times in a row if the target can just kite abit.

it wouldent be harder then in any other game out there that doesent have /stick.

ppl just have to be active when they fight. not just /stick and mash random anytime style.

i know 99% of the population wants those commands. but its mostly not because of the excuses they have (wich is "its needed because of lag").

they need it because they CANT play without it. in other words, they wouldent know how to. for a week or 2, the kiters would have a joyous time. until ppl have adapted and started to think about what they are doing. then things would work out for them to. true, a bit more hassle yes.

and another thing that maybe would come out of it, more of the classes might get viable for rvr again. not just the FOTM classes ppl use today.

Moriatroll

Fledgling Freddie
Ctuchik,im gonne try to explain things to you now, let's just go through all the differend commands and see what is so n00bish about them.

Face - If a caster don't use face, i'll kill him, end of story. Not cus of that you now will face the target, since if u target the guy in the first place, he is allready in your view. It is because of that u stop running and STAND STILL instantly. that's why it is used at all.

Stick - I think you are trying to say that tanks need more skill. Good. Just strafe them, should learn them not to just stick. Much more skill involved in that tbh. And just to answer you in advance... there are methods to make strafing obsolete.

Assist - as someone mentioned, any good grp using ts/vent assist that way, not by /assist. This means that there will be a even larger gap betwen the "good" grps and the not so good ones.

god i cant belive im writing this, i care to much

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
A proper online RPG would be nice: no (group) health bars, no text chatting unless next to the person talking to or in a chat system in a modern/sci-fi RPG, no map, no color con (so you don't how hard the enemy is, you are fighting) and so on. Just like a good old-school pen & paper RPG.

MMORPGs are monotonous, level by killing 343534875 mobs called A and 4387534895 mobs called B and "1 - 2 - 3, assist me now" + "next target".

I am wondering why I am playing them right now.

:(

Gamah

Banned
Your game is dead, Mythic won't listen so don't bother whining and enjoy your dying game untill it ends in Q1 2008!

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
no color con (so you don't how hard the enemy is, you are fighting) and so on. Just like a good old-school pen & paper RPG.
:(

You mean a bit like they are in PvE currently?
Mobs that have all kinds of abilities you may or may not counter on your class. Sure, you can see the mob is aproximately a certain level, but you don't know if you can match its abilities.

For the rest of your ideas... MMOs are social. Standing in the middle of nowhere, not knowing how to get anywhere and unable to talk to anyone generally tends to grow boring. Fast.

Remember, you get out of it what you want. If you dont want to use /map, ... don't. If you don't want to PL with your necro, but instead enjoy exploring, don't. Noone forces you to be the power gamer, but I for one certainly prefers the option to be do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom