ASP+

M

Mr B

http://www.ibuyspy.com

Go there ^^ for an example of the sorts of loverly new features of ASP+.

It's basically a demonstration of ASP+ based on a pretty bog-standard e-Commerce site (ie. DABS or Amazon) - You can even choose if you want to run the site in VB.NET or C# coded format...

You get all the source code to have a look at as well...I particularly like the ability to cache .asp pages with query strings attached...So for example whereas with ASP at the moment, the page:

http://www.test.com/default.asp?newsid=1

would be rerun every time you refreshed...you can now specify whether to rerun or to look in the cache, and also how often to update the cache.

oh feck I sound like a pooter-nerd now...

This bloke walked into a bar with a crocodile stuffed up his arse and a penguin balanced on his left shoulder...closely followed by 2 nuns and a vicar, an englishman, scotsman and an irishman, the pope, a horse and 22 flamingoes...

The barman looks at them and says:

"Is this some sort of joke?"

:/

B

O

old.Rico

ASP? PAH!!! PHOOEY!!!! AMAZINGLY SLOW AND PANTS.

NER NER!!

I AM THE R1CO!!!!

M

Mr B

PHP sucks donkeys.

Speaking of which, what about a forum for Shockwave Flash...

?

Then I can retry my amazing "What's the difference between <insert name of site that uses Flash poorly> and Dale Arden?" gag.

:D

O

old.Musician

Yeah well peeps like PHP which is fine. ASP is based on VB the easiest language out there. Relax the snobbery and have a go. You'll be programming as fast as two monkeys on typwritters.
ASP+ - only thing here is as an ASP programmer at work I don't think we'll be updating our NT to W2000 just yet.

M

O

old.Comatosed

Yeah well peeps like PHP which is fine.

Its PERL that does my head in....all those $'s everywhere gives me a headache :)

ASP is based on VB the easiest language out there.

And every experianced asp/vb programmer curses the newbies that say that everytime they start rewriting another "this is easy" programmers applications ;)

E

*Exor*

I wish people wouldn't reffer to ASP as programming - It's scripting. Anyone who programs in real languages knows that!

O

old.Comatosed

I wish the ignorant pricks that have no idea what ASP is would stop bl33ting on about it not being programming.

(/me starts rewriting yet another "this ASP is easy" developers code)

T

Testin da Cable

oh you two'd get on swell I'm sure ;)

E

*Exor*

I've done lots of ASP, unfortunately.

It's piss easy, boring shite. And it's scripting.

O

old.Comatosed

And your last MTS C++ COM object was?

E

*Exor*

I've never used MTS.

But I've written more C++ COM objects than you've had hot dinners m'lad.

O

old.Daniel Walker

ASP+ (Pooter nerds only need read)

ASP+ in it's current Beta release will only run on Win 2K, it's true, but Musician needs to recognise that in final versions, it will be backwards-compatible onto all 32-bit verssions of the Windows OS, and that there's no substantial barrier to it's being proted onto other OS.

In ASP+, pages are built using fully-compilable languages such as C++, VB (which in it's new release has grown up and discovered stuff like namespaces) as languages like Perl. Because all of these are pre-compiled into an intermediate language, the native code they generate will be identical, regardless of the language used to write the component. This means they'll be decompilable (and presumably the new Java superset known as "C#" will be the default output from this. It's certainly piss-easy to learn). I've got the NET framework working here on my 2K box and it's fast as hell.

<Shamelessplug mungsucepability="50%">
For more information, visit http://p2p.wrox.com. We've
got a listserver there that deals with just about every
aspect of programming that's still relevant to today's
world (i.e. no Delphi lists).
<proviso seriousness="false">
No script-kiddies, please... and if anyone who joins
wants to spell their names with numbers that'd...
um... look kinda dorky.
</proviso>
<otherstuff/>
</shamelessplug>

Boring post, I know, but someone had to lower the tone.

Daniel Walker
Wrox Press
"The Ugly Red Book that Won't Impress Your Girlfriend"

M

Mr B

...and the difference between a procedural programming language and a procedural scripting language is??

:D

O

old.Musician

And then everything went quiet. Long time since I posted that but hey I still think asp/vb script is one of the easiest out there. O.k. you can go do your com objects and get into more complicated stuff but I'm speaking purely to newbies who wonder what to use php or asp etc.
As for ASP+ I look forward to it. My point was that I administer our Intranet on an NT Server and I don't think we'll be experimenting with + for a while. I don't need ot realise it'll be backward compatible because I'm only speaking in a particular context.

O

old.Subsidal

Have you people forgot what platform ASP is designed for ?

Like ffs, NT... Netfacing... are you fkin insane ? :)

Sub

Users who are viewing this thread