Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I think they should arrest the pope

then nail him to a frisbie

and fling him over a rainbow

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Why would/could/should the arrest the pope? Afaik he has done nothing wrong

Also who should arrest him? The Italian police force would never be able to do this without HUGE riots througout the entire country.. And Poland :p

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
The Pope is the Head of State for The Vatican, a sovereign state within Rome.
As a serving Head of State, he's therefore immune from prosecution according to international law.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
The Pope is about as interesting as this diagram:

bmwk100_clutch.JPG

megadave

I am a FH squatter
He hasn't actually done anything wrong himself.

Atleast it's another nail in the coffin that is the farce of religion. Hopefully :x

omg is that a clutch, lamp? thats fucking interesting tbh

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
He will be assassinated, some old fella said so.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
He hasn't actually done anything wrong himself.

Atleast it's another nail in the coffin that is the farce of religion. Hopefully :x

omg is that a clutch, lamp? thats fucking interesting tbh

Various attrocities have been done in the name of democracy, at least it's another nail in the coffin of democracy

Various attrocities have been done in the name of communism, at least it's another nail in the coffin of democracy

Science has led to billions of deaths as our war machines have become better, at least it's another nail in the coffin of science

I think you get the idea

The Pope is the Head of State for The Vatican, a sovereign state within Rome.
As a serving Head of State, he's therefore immune from prosecution according to international law.

Not strictly true, he isn't protected by international law as it is not a recognised UN member state
However it is unlikely he will go to any country without being granted diplomatic passport so is essentially immune to arrest

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
He's not immune to any charge if the charge is upheld by enough democratic states. The only difficulty is proving he directly made a decision that led to a breach of international (or indeed his own state's) law.

If, by process, he has plausible deniability he would be safe from conviction. Can he shoot someone in the street with no reason (and I say reason here, not excuse)? Then if it is against that state's law he can be tried. He won't get the same treatment even under legal process, but he can be tried. And thus he would be arrested if that state they had the political power to do so.

To take an extreme example, the stance of the RC church during the holocaust can be taken. There is enough evidence to *allege* Pius and the church were aware of atrocities and did nothing, however from a legal standpoint they were not involved and so there's no charge to answer. At least I assume that must be the case.

On a sidenote, why do Popes change their names? Political spin dating back to when pagan names weren't a good idea to take into papal office. I do find religion fascinating at certain times, and, as Lamp has inferred, fucking boring at other certain times. ;)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Just having to claim immunity pretty well ends everything
he stands for.
And he has done something wrong, failing to report child abuse to the authorities and protecting the assiliant.

Note the resume of a representative of God in my book.

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
Just having to claim immunity pretty well ends everything
he stands for.
And he has done something wrong, failing to report child abuse to the authorities and protecting the assiliant.

Hey, you have your own book!

Job Chapters Index

We have a mole among us, begone god-fearing sort!! The man's on the Job! :D

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Just having to claim immunity pretty well ends everything he stands for.

There was a time when the RC church was a significant political power in Europe and entire empires paid attention to what the Holy See had to say.
Now it is still a significant part of many people's lives but it's political influence is greatly diminished.

The chance of a Pope being arrested for any legal reason is precisely nil.

He's the representative of the faith of a significant proportion of the human race. If he were to be arrested, entire countries would begin economic sanctions against the instigators of the arrest warrant.

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
The chance of a Pope being arrested for any legal reason is precisely nil.

He's the representative of the faith of a significant proportion of the human race. If he were to be arrested, entire countries would begin economic sanctions against the instigators of the arrest warrant.

That would actually be a very interesting question. If the warrant was issued, would economic sanctions happen or not?

Look at the countries that actually DO have high Catholic populations. Most in the scheme of things might not make a difference. I'm not advocating anti-catholicism btw, just wondering. Take an example close to home - 8.4 million people in the UK are RC, by their figures. Do you really think that number would be in outrage at his arrest?

Check out other figures:

Catholic Church by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most from the CIA Factbook, but some from the Pontifico. Most are in emerging countries who have no ability to try and form embargos or sanctions. If s developed country tried it would just turn into political and religious backlash and oddness all over the shop (with so many many deals behind close doors I'm sure) - imagine how Islam might media view this shift and the world stage would be very interesting to watch too?

Or, as you say, nothing might happen? Just to keep that from happening (that thought is ofc mine not yours, I refer back to a book I read)

Secrets of the Vatican: Amazon.co.uk: Cyrus Shahrad: Books

Apologies for those who saw me posted it not too long ago, but it's a good read and it isn't all conspiracy whacko! Also, most fun book on RC!!:

How to be Pope: What to Do and Where to Go Once You're in the Vatican: Amazon.co.uk: Piers Marchant: Books

Ezteq

Queen of OT
Ha now I don't have to hear about this in my home life ever again, (please excuse this to all FH catholics but...) Bugger catholicism!! I never have to listen to how they are being persecuted and how they actually deal with child abuse in house as a way to protect the victims woohoo!!! Don't have to put up with any more sodding muslim bashing or other socio-political narrow mindedness either; hot dog!!

So now I can honestly say I don't care what happens to the pope, he can buy one get one free imo.

:clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom