Armsman

E

Eggy

Wanna carry on levelling my lil 39 arms up to 50, my original plan being 50 slash 42 shield rest (40 I think) parry.

However, reading a lot of different forums, is thrust polearm the way to go? Obviously the chain bonus is great.

Just wondering how you armsmen are planning on speccing.

O

old.Galieran

I had a trusting polearmsman:

He did a lot of dmg, but he failed to be a protecter of casters, because he had no stunning abablity.

IMO tank have one purpose in RvR, which is to protect the casters. This is not done by a polearm, ´cos if the enemy is going for your caster (they always are), and you hit them with your polearm, they wont turn to hit you, they will keep hitting the caster. A caster can usually take about 4 hits MAX. So what you need to do is to make the enemy stop hitting at all, which can be done with a shield specced to 42. Using the Slam shield style, will stun the enemy for 9 secs, which buys your group time to gather on the enemy and hit him all at once, so he will never get another hit on your caster:))

If you want to be a damage dealer, the armsman is not the right class even with the polearm, you should make a Wizard.

Sidenote:
Thrust gives +20% on chain mail armour.

R

ReaLX

"IMO tank have one purpose in RvR, which is to protect the casters."

that's the purpose for a slash&shield armsman, yes.... but NOT for a pole armsman.

imo a polearmsman is the guy who is insane enough to charge the other army, and TRY to get to the casters asap, and try to kill/intterupt them... at least thats how i play my thrust pole in rvr...

M

Madonion Slicer

I was going to go Polearm and almost specced it on Gorre but with the lack of have a good pole to test and little time to get one, i tired full slash and shield with left over parry so at 41 i had 41 Slash and 41Shield 6Parry, i was very very impressed had many duels in Emain with Hibs and Mids of all class yellow to red con, and i was blocking 50%+ of the styles used on me.

I won 80% and this is due to the fact that i simple blocked a hell of a lot of damage.

I know intend on going 50Slash 50Shield and left over Parry, my xbow was at 10 but on Gorre it was left at 1 and still hit for the same damage on Yellow con around 100HP a bolt.

With high you shield you just live longer simple.

E

Eggy

lol Konah. I'm at uni now so time is limited, drinking is an important aim in my life. But yes I shall be returning to RVR shortly, after being inactive a while. The only times I been on camelot lately are to mess around, mainly cos I have to pay for the internet at 1p a min at the moment, until they install the uni broadband in my room.

I noticed a 50 50 rest parry spec mentioned - does this actually have that many advantages over 50 42 ?

M

Madonion Slicer

Well not played a 50 Arms i cant say if 42 sheild is much compared to 50 sheild, but in comparison on Excal i had at 41, 41 Slash and 35 Shield and compared to the blocking on Gorre with shield at my lvl 41, i notice a huge increase amount in block in RVR.

It may be a waste of points in some people mind but i being i am only specing in 3 lines Slash, Shield and Parry i feel i can go 50S 50S and left over Parry and be very happy, with xbow at 1 it will still do it's job of pulling in PVE and causing Casters trouble casting.

K

Kagato.

Play how you want to play, if you want to spend your time guarding casters stick with the shield, if as said above you want to be the guy charging in and hitting for insane damage, get yourself a thrusting pole and a top quality partizan and watch every other tank go green with envy at your damage :D

M

Madonion Slicer

If only on Monday night i was able to get hold of a Pole, i would of specced it and maybe fallen in love with it, but now this is live i only get one chance to make the right choice.

E

Eggy

Hmm I am still at the crossroads on this one. If only I had had more time on gorre to test. I know that if I chose polearm I would go thrust, to maximise damage in RVR, but dont wanna make the move to polearm if I won't enjoy it as much as S+S.

M

Madonion Slicer

/me waves to eggy standing on the same cross roads

I am now dreading respec when i did not have it i was not bothered about my Fire Wiz or S+S Armsmen, but now this chance has come i dont know what to do arghhhhhhhhhh

I never was a good gambler.

M

Madonion Slicer

Ah screw i think i go Polearm, it is a risk but what the hell Polearm is only avalible to Armsmen so it must be the weapon of choice.

Could anyone help with a spec at 41, catacombs seems to be down so could anyone advice me on a spec at lvl41

Many thx

p.s i will put a thread in the Trading Table looking for a Slash Polearm as i have nothing in the way of Polearms so if you read this and can help there i would be very gratful.

Thanks all

E

Eggy

Hehe well tell me how you find the polearm, so I can decide if it's what I wanna do ;)

M

Madonion Slicer

how you find the polearm

You couldnt be more right the first thing i need to do is find a polearm :rolleyes:

Will let you know how i get on.

L

-Lonewolf-

NO NO NO NO NO Polearm is cack now

With the new skills introduced on the American servers its Sword and Shield all the way TRUST ME!

The parry's and blocks are unreal and the polearm is well just tooooo damn slow!

Ur gimp if u go pole in RvR

E

Eggy

Blimey thats a turn up...what new skills are u referring to?

M

Madonion Slicer

Guys dont do this to me the stress is to much i need a drink....:(

K

Kcinimodus

Yeah listen to Nova ;).

I was specced 50 pole, 44 thrust, 36 parry, 9 shield first, but I wanted to be more versatile, so I specced:

44 pole: gives me rage+revenge combo, and lets me deal lots of damage when someone is stunned.
42 shield: slam, good vs non-shield users and casters.
39 thrust: for good min-damage with pole, and some okish damage when going 1handed.
24 parry: put all the leftovers here, for some more defense.

Offcourse there are different hybrid speccs, but I tested this on Gorre, and I really liked it. Don't think I'll ever regret respeccing like this.

K

Kagato.

Let him spec how he wants to spec, its how he wants to play that matters not how other people want him to be.

D

drunkard

Originally posted by Kcinimodus
Yeah listen to Nova ;).

I was specced 50 pole, 44 thrust, 36 parry, 9 shield first, but I wanted to be more versatile, so I specced:

44 pole: gives me rage+revenge combo, and lets me deal lots of damage when someone is stunned.
39 thrust: for good min-damage with pole, and some okish damage when going 1handed.

Offcourse there are different hybrid speccs, but I tested this on Gorre, and I really liked it. Don't think I'll ever regret respeccing like this.

For a hybrid armsman thrust isn't the best way to go. Although great for polearm the 1h thrust styles aren't all that. I think 44 style , 44 pole, 42 shield and 13 parry is the way to go. You have to sacrifice something and parry is probaly the one to let go of, you'll find yourself using S&S more than you do pole in rvr anyway.

E

Eggy

After a lot of thinking, I've decided to spec as follows...

Polearm 44
Slash 39
Shield 42
Parry 24

This is basically the same as the post previously, and it has been recommended to me by many armsmen I've been talking to today.

If I should decide pole isn't my thing, I can use my line respec to take polearm off and put it into parry and slash.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

R

ReaLX

Originally posted by Kcinimodus
Yeah listen to Nova ;).

i'm waaaaay too lazy to switch to shield, slam, switch back to pole and start hitting.... :p 50/50/28 all the way ;)
and anyway, im kinda enjoying my friar atm, who knows if it becomes my main anyway ;)

Q

quinthar

I presently have 50S 44S remainder in Parry + several nerf lines <cough> nobody told me I didnt need Thrust and 2H and stuff :p

I'm probably going to stay Slash+shield its perfect for Keep raids etc, I still find myself XPing peeps so its good for that and also the quest for cash never stops..

I have yet to respec and I have yet to go RvR to try out the new stuff, so until I do I'll leave it as it is, gimped but content for the moment.

M

Madonion Slicer

After all the headache, i have stuck with what i know, respec to 41 Slash 41Shield and 6 parry will continue this to 50 so i am 50S 50S 28Parry.

J

Jarahl Valinor

Well I can tell you, its a decent and well balanced spec... I dont deal alot of damage, but takes quite some time for Hibs and Mids beat me down ;) Im 50 slash, 50 shield and 28 parry as well.. if you protect your casters, and let them do the killing, you are great ;) For Zerging : Choose Pole and 2H, cus u just need to do some dmg :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom