armsman spec - whats gone wrong here?

O

old.Wildfire

badspec1.jpg

badspec2.jpg

Just thought I'd post those here on behalf of treniel who appears to have run into some problems while respeccing. Character builders and ye olde calculator both say that a 50 42 39 6 spec should be possible with a 2x spec points char, WITHOUT bonus points from autotraining.

Any ideas?

A

Aule Valar

normally thrust and slash would be autorained to 12, i guess its possible that the way the format works stuff out that in order to prevent autotraining by respecing it auto specs to 12 slash and thrust so you lose the points from that
though i think that would only apply if he used a full respec, or possibly (though unlikely i think) if he respeced from thrust to slash

or maybe he's destined to be gimped

T

Tilda

hmm.

he was slash befor, and he's slash after, so he hasnt changed dammage type, and he would have also still had auto train points in crush which havent gone anywhere afaik.

Treniel, ive sent this + screenies to Kemor, can you post on here your starting spec, your finishing spec now, and what your spec should be please.

Tilda

P

Pin

When Treniel was (past tense?) a noob, he specced both Thrust and Slash so the 12 Thrust seen there is not wholly from autotraining, it contains 7 levels of specced points, thus he has lost 27 spec points.

A

artemus

when respeccing you have to pay for the points that you would autotrain, this means for armsmen you have to train to 12 in thrust and it takes the points required for this away

P

Pin

Originally posted by artemus
when respeccing you have to pay for the points that you would autotrain, this means for armsmen you have to train to 12 in thrust and it takes the points required for this away

edit: okay, I should word this better.... When you respec, it just reduces your points down to the minimum leel (12 in this case), so you only get back points that were spent above ther. You don't _lose_ points in the respec, but you can lose points by spending on a skill line which would have autotrained, and this is what happened in Treniel's case, and is what I explained above.

A

Aule Valar

aye pin has it, the respec just reduces the level of whatever your respec to the minumum it can be, so he has points trapped in thrust, i don't there would be any way to get em back with another respec stone

P

Pin

Originally posted by Aule Valar
aye pin has it, the respec just reduces the level of whatever your respec to the minumum it can be, so he has points trapped in thrust, i don't there would be any way to get em back with another respec stone

no, there's no way to get them back. they are gone. he's stuck with 27 points lost.

(or at least I am 99.99% sure that GOA won't do anything about it - or would even understand what the problem was if you tried to explain what happened)

J

Jiggs

so in 1.62 with single line respec can he not just respec thrust?

P

Puppetmistress

Originally posted by old.Wildfire
badspec1.jpg

badspec2.jpg

Just thought I'd post those here on behalf of treniel who appears to have run into some problems while respeccing. Character builders and ye olde calculator both say that a 50 42 39 6 spec should be possible with a 2x spec points char, WITHOUT bonus points from autotraining.

Any ideas?

AFAIK an armsman doesn't autotrain thrust so how did the points get in there? I can be wrong but I thought they didn't train thrust..

P

Pin

Originally posted by Jiggs
so in 1.62 with single line respec can he not just respec thrust?

/respec Thrust would reduce the Thrust line to 12 spec as this is the minimum allowed for a level 48+ Armsman (i.e. nothing would change, and no points back)

P

Pin

Re: Re: armsman spec - whats gone wrong here?

Originally posted by Puppetmistress
AFAIK an armsman doesn't autotrain thrust so how did the points get in there? I can be wrong but I thought they didn't train thrust..

Armsmen autotrain both Slash and Thrust

A

Apathy

Thrust pole does way more damage, apparently.

a.

P

Pin

I should make clear that this is nothing to do with the respec, but merely the way Treniel specced his char in the early levels - he was missing 27 points in his old spec aswell.

B

Belomar

Then it seems that the hybrid armsman template is not open to Treniel. Ack. :(

R

ReaLX

I guess you'll see treniel at a dragon near you very very soon! ;)

P

Pin

Well, the only thing he loses is Back Slash... A reasonable style, but I guess he'd use Phalanx when behind a target anyway (?)

edit: And look on the bright side... He can either get 2 more parry, or has some points left over for crossbow!!!1

O

old.LandShark

Yeah, he presumably won't be aiming to do damage in sword-n-board mode anyway. Not with phalanx->aegis available in his spec...

K

Kagato.

Armsmen auto thrust and slash. Theoretically he should be able to respec from slash to thrust and not or lose any points, he would only lose points if he respecced to crush which does not autotrain (in reverse that also means he would actually gain points if he was crush to start with before respeccing to slash or thrust).

T

Treniel-

When Treniel was (past tense?) a noob, he specced both Thrust and Slash so the 12 Thrust seen there is not wholly from autotraining, it contains 7 levels of specced points, thus he has lost 27 spec points.

as far as i remember i never speced anything but hybrid template...my old one was 44pole 39slash 42 sheild and about 23 parry i think....

before that it was 50/50 pole with aobut 28 in sheild or sumthing like that so afaik i shouldn't have lost points anywhere? i never spec'd in thrust or anything else but pole and slash (dmg type i mean)

and karam i may of gimped myself now...but you will always be a gimp.

N

Novamir

two-handed styles >>> polearm styles in rvr (which doesnt include duels)

O

old.Wildfire

new set of SC armour + lack of respec stone >>> treniel's wallet

P

Pin

Originally posted by Treniel-
as far as i remember i never speced anything but hybrid template...my old one was 44pole 39slash 42 sheild and about 23 parry i think....

before that it was 50/50 pole with aobut 28 in sheild or sumthing like that so afaik i shouldn't have lost points anywhere? i never spec'd in thrust or anything else but pole and slash (dmg type i mean)

the only way I can conceive that you could lose 27 spec points is through speccing 7 levels of Thrust in your early levels. (And I can easily imagine you forgetting doing so, as it was 15 months ago).

If you were 44pole, 39slash, 42shield and 23parry before, then you would have had 7 points unspent (or dumped somewhere) and 27 points missing.

And before that I am sure you would have been 50/50/27 (rather than 28 shield) with 27 points dumped elsewhere and 27 points missing again.

T

Treniel-

what planet u living on? or am i just farming wrong

Z

Zag Barr

Originally posted by Treniel-
as far as i remember i never speced anything but hybrid template...

... i never spec'd in thrust or anything else but pole and slash (dmg type i mean)

Your memory is bad there. I remember a lengthly discussion between your AM and my AM back in the n00b days a few weeks after release. Back then you asked me how to spec (I was the highest lvl AM at the time for a short while) and I tried to explain to you, that speccing Slash and Thrust, Pole and Shield all at the same time, wasn't that good an idea. At that time you were around level 20 and mostly slash, but you had put some points in thrust ...

However, to the topic: A respec stone should be a respec stone. One shouldn't be punished for mistakes he made, while he was an innocent n00b. Hence, one should be able to spec to any new template the char-builder allows - even if he did spec in thrust and slash while he was young :rolleyes:

On the other hand, someone that autotrained a skill and knew what he was doing before he specced his char, should loose the extra autotrain points in a respec. Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom