Arghhh Wtf Pwned By Ups

N

-Nxs-

Managed to wake up early today - checked my shipping information from Gamestop to see that it had arrived in my local UPS depot at 7.04 this morning, so being nice thought id get into work early, so I can be here when the game arrives and leave early to go home and play.

Arrived at work at 8.03am to see a note on my desk, UPS turned up at 8.00 and as i wasnt here he left, and will return tomorrow.

On the brighter side, Managed to call UPS and I can pickup the game at 7.00pm tonight from the local depot, which is only a 5 min drive from home so not that bad... but... grrrrrrrr.... pahh...

C

Cush

As i said.. you would get it before me !!

dont have my tracking number at work so cant look where it is atm :(

N

-Nxs-

Well time to go home after work - have a nice deep bath, get some dinner and clean my room - then off to UPS at 7.00pm

Something will go wrong - the CD will be scratched - they wont be able to find the parcel - the van has lost it - the van has broken down.

<ever the pesamist>

N

-Nxs-

Originally posted by Cush
<the optemist> it can always get worse ;)

lol dont say that :) i keep checking the UPS tracking details to see if my game gets scanned back in a tht elocal depot but nothing yet - ill just have to go home after work and potter around for an hour or two, then have to try to find the enterance and reception to my local ups depot.

F

Faeldawn

Originally posted by -Nxs-
Managed to wake up early today - checked my shipping information from Gamestop to see that it had arrived in my local UPS depot at 7.04 this morning, so being nice thought id get into work early, so I can be here when the game arrives and leave early to go home and play.

Arrived at work at 8.03am to see a note on my desk, UPS turned up at 8.00 and as i wasnt here he left, and will return tomorrow.

On the brighter side, Managed to call UPS and I can pickup the game at 7.00pm tonight from the local depot, which is only a 5 min drive from home so not that bad... but... grrrrrrrr.... pahh...

UPS are notorious for poor punctuality, i had a package delivered by them once....i was at home until 12.00 miday then i went to work, came back at 7pm to find a UPS slip saying they came at10am but noone was home...my neighbour told me they came at 1pm :)

N

-Nxs-

According to the tracking they tried to deliver at 7:48 - i didnt get to work till just after 8:00

But never mind i picked up the game at 7:00pm as thats the time i told it would be back with the depot (turns out this was actualy 10.00am but i dont mind that gave me time to get some dinner, wash up and a few other little things before picking up the game)

Then.. when I try to install it, CD1 is corrupt !!!!!

Its taken me two hours to get the first CD working, All Windows based PC's here at home failed to read the first CD, on inserting the disk your Windows would lockup - this happened on three seperate machines. Still I eventualy managed to extract the contents of the CD using a superior operating system (Linux) and shared this back out to my main PC - bingo first disk installed, the other 4 (yes you heard that 4 !!! so thats 5 cd's in total) installed without error, about 20 mins to get registered and fill in all the details, finding a US address to register to - then entering my own UK Address on the CC screen, and now 2hours of patching :( 512k DSL line.

So looks like the game will let me login about 11:30pm tonight - just enough time to create my character before bedtime and work tomorrow.

Something didnt want me to get this game !!! ive had obsticles at every path, but now i can see the light :)

G

gramaton

LMAO sorry to hear your first CD was corrupt, now ya got me worried for when I get it tommorow :/

U

Ukle

CD 1

I had similar problems with my CD1 ... got 2 CD drives in the machine Driver 1 locked up trying to read it but luckily Drive 2 was able to read it so was able to install.

Surely this install process has to win awards for the most complicated, confusign and long winded in existance. Why oh why couldn't they have just created 1 installer for the whole thing instead of 3.

N

-Nxs-

Because there are 3 different apps to install

1) Playonline viewer - the launcher to the world of squares online games
2) FFXI install
3) expansion pack install

Its not that bad :) just takes a long time to install 5 cd's then patch for 2hrs

G

gramaton

Got game this morning, when installing from CD 2 I get to 57% and it says it can't find the damn file :(

Any ideas?

G

gramaton

That is springing to mind at the moment, got a second drive that wont even read the first fucking disc, can't exactly ring technical support will cost a fortune to ring America, and ya have to be signed up to PlayOnline to send an email to technical support. So what exactly do I do? Sign up to PlayOnline with my credit card even though the game wont install? :/

S

Silent Shadow

I think its your comp tbh..
Can't count the number of times this has happened to me :/

Doesn't work in either of my two cd-players.
Then I try on my sisters comp and it works..

G

gramaton

My drive is brand new and plays all other discs fine with no problems...
-My other comp has gone 1% better, then frozen :(
-Looked across net and seems many people are having this problem, like ya said Silent it seems like it doesn't like my cd drives, tried 3 now and it work work on any of em :/
-Further looking around the net, seems like a lot of ff discs are actually corrupted
-Scanning CD 2 now and fuck me, shit loads of bad sectors no wonder it isn't working

K

Krazeh

Just to be different I haven't had a single problem with my CD's, all worked flawlessly in my pioneer dvd drive, just gotta wait for the damn thing to patch now

G

gramaton

CD 2, 320 Bad Sectors and counting
-CD 2, 320 Bad Sectors and counting
-Lucky you Krazeh
-OMFG I am now at 650 Bad Sectors
-Someone shoot me please
-Nice just hit 800 errors, who bets I hit over a 1000 before it finishes?
-ok fuck this, is at 1000 bad sectors and has 20,000 more files to check yet.
-I don't know much about CD's, is it possible the CD could still work with so many bad sectors?
-LOL! Ok wtf, I opened box and thought, "your not beating me bastard" and tried installing it again, after a lot of error messages and me taking the disc out and putting it back in again over and over again, WOOT! Got the game installed and am now updating :)

8 posts in a row is a bit much :eek: -tRoG

S

spathi

yeah 8 posts in a row is a tad excess :)

but gratz ;o

[crosses fingers that discs arrive AND arent corrupted]

G

gramaton

Yeah I did go a bit OTT, but cheers :) Am happy now.

And I hope you do get yours uncorrupted, it's a real pain in the ass.

Users who are viewing this thread