ARGH Frustation

L

legolas

Anyone else with this probelm...

I logg into Daoc, enter the game and the graphics are smooth a great. There is very LITTLE differance from the graphics when I play with the GUI to when I press the TAB button and there is no GUI. (Graphics User Interface).

[Spec: 2.2 Celeron, Geforce4 440 MX, 256mb ram, 80gig HDD, 56k modem]

I play for about 30mins and notice that my fps (frames per second) are slowly decreasing. The longer I play the worse this gets... I press TAB to see how smooth it runs without the GUI and its Flawless, Perfect... why is the GUI slowly eating all my video memory?

I have to relog every hour if I want to be able to see the animations during battles.

I've got the recent Nvida drivers, and I don't have SI, can anyone explain whats happening or a possible solution?

Thanks, LOVE YOU ALL

T

Trinilim

Originally posted by Ekydus
Try /vidreset every so often.

that doesn't work for non-si, in fact, it makes it worse, as you lose all texture in all landscapes/buildings.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I think what your problem is is your connection.

I had a GeForce4 mx 420 before and it ran smoothly, a bit of lag sometimes but that's to be expected.

I see nothing wrong with any of your stuff except for the 56k modem.

56k for a mmorpg is really kinda bad.

I think that's the main reason you're getting so much lag.

Your modem has to take in a LOT of information, character movements, enviroment, special textures, AI, chat interface, etc.

I'm pretty sure that's the main reason why you're getting such bad performance, other than that I think you're fine.. if you get a new connection and it still continues, I'd suggest you get in contact with tech support at the euro daoc website.

E

Ekydus

I have a 56k too. Runs fine. Maybe he needs a newer processor, Celerons are some what outdated.

L

legolas

Absoultly certain its not the connection, my ping is steady all the way through, I have no problem with sending and receiving informtaion, its more of the graphics engine not the connection, been adviced to get SI and see then... anywhere cheap to buy SI from?

T

Trinilim

128 mb ram is the minimum requirement for DAOC, so 256 should be fine.

It might be the celeron though as ekyd said..

L

legolas

ram, hmm... ok. Is an option.

oh, the CPU isn't outdated, biought brand new last month :p

L

loxleyhood

Ok, we can only assume that God and your machine are persecuting you for your damned awful name. Sorry, but LotR rip off names are just something I shouldn't have to abide, will not abide and cannot abide!

I

ilienwyn

Even amazon.co.uk has SI at only 9.99 for some time now. I guess they decided most of the people who wanted it took it and wanna give out the stock now :)

G

Gorbash

its a memory leak bug with the old client. SI doth fixeth!

K

kirennia

Originally posted by legolas
yay, just won SI on ebay bid for £4.90 :)

just make sure its an original copy, not used ;) I know some1 who did that, not a happy guy

T

Trinilim

Originally posted by kirennia
just make sure its an original copy, not used ;) I know some1 who did that, not a happy guy

that would be me :wall:

got ripped off for $30

fecking bastard...

F

Frier

... its meant to be brand new, but we shall see. £4.90 can't go wrong!

< aka Legolas >

G

greenfingers

ok FYI :

Celeron is the "cheap" P4
Northwood with 533 FSB is the ONLY choice!

512 MB RAM is required to run SI smoothly
If you only have 256 MB RAM, SI and DAoC will run a bit rough, and in RvR the fps will be low!

I just bought:

2.667 GHz Intel
2x256 MB DDR RAM (PC3200 DUAL)
Gigabyte GA-8SQ800 ATX Ultra (Motherboard)
Radeon 9700 PRO (Sapphire)
ThermalTake powersupply
Xaser III Blue V-1000C
(used my old HDD and CD-ROM)

I put the parts together with a help from a friend, or well .. HE put it together while I supervised him :p

I could have done it myself, but I wanted to make sure that I didn't take any responsability if anything went wrong ! :D (then I could blame him, hehehe)

this cost me 8863 DKKR (Danish Kroner)
bout 1193 € !!!

Maxtor DiamondMAX Plus 9 Fluid 120GB HDD
and
ASUS DVD-IDE 16x Retail
this total for the small price of:

1193 + 181 = 1374€ !!!
8863 + 1348 = 10211 DKKR !!!

keep in mind that this is one of the BEST computers on the market, and U get a FULLY computer, not just something half-hearted piece of **** :)

(damn, I should become a computer store owner !)

I could probably make this a lot cheaper, if I contacted the firms that produce the components, and get like 20% off, and if I should put the parts together for ya, then it would cost like 10% ?

ok, I put myself in a position where I can't save myself .. some one plz rescue me !!!!

edit: no, Im not selling anything, but if U PM me with LOADS of requests on this comp, or anything different that U like, then I might open a Internet store ! :D

F

Frier

wow nice system mate.... but no offense, I just bought my PC a month back for £499, from PC world ( I know, but I was desperate and needed one that very day), got a nice extended warrenty though!

- After two years I get to claim for free upgrade! ... and anual computer check / clean up with upgrade insurance.

Im getting a 512 DDR stick I think, (when I get paid).

What you are offering to do though is fantastic mate, I do bow to you.

You are a kind man :)

G

greenfingers

thx, I just wrote an Email to the my friend (the guy that put my CPU/Motherboard together) and asked him to check this site out :)

he might write a comment ! :)

K

Kurik BHM

I run my SI client on 600mhz 512ram gf2mx :D

runs perfectly fine..... ofcourse /effects none if its zergy around me

F

Frier

HAHA, yup, TESCO do actually pay us students something... I think the going rate has gone up to three peanuts.

<counting his peanuts>

Im rich!

F

Frier

... OMFG!

All this time, and I've been using the wrong Msg Board!
Wonder why I didn't recognise anyone here...

/em puts tail between his leggs and flees

Guess I can use this board, loads of great people here :)

G

greenfingers

Originally posted by kurik
I run my SI client on 600mhz 512ram gf2mx :D

runs perfectly fine..... ofcourse /effects none if its zergy around me

that shouldn't be possible ... but if U say it is, then I guess it is :)

F

Frier

Originally posted by greenfingers
that shouldn't be possible ... but if U say it is, then I guess it is :)

... I can pick my nose and sneeze at the same time without causing any serious damage to myself!

G

greenfingers

where do all the bacterias come out then!?

A

**Aligro**

Originally posted by Frier
from PC world..

and the lord will strike down with supreme vengence upon thee who buy from such a conning rip-off low rate sack of shithole..

these are the kinda guys who knock on old grannys doors and force them in to buying "stairlifts"

when it's a bungalow ofc

M

moo_work

non SI always did this, there is a memory leak in the classic daoc -this is fixed in SI

I recomend you get SI

F

Frier

SI on the way... cost me £4.90 :) Bargain Ebay, just hope its not 2nd hand :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom