Are you happy with the information resources available?

'Shy

One of Freddy's beloved
Hi all,

I'd like some constructive feedback on the sites you currently use for information and resources. The main ones that spring to mind are Allakhazam and Warcry, although I'm sure there are dozens more.

The reason I ask, is that I am in the process of helping to build up a website, with all the relevant information for DAoC players, kind of like a one-stop reference center that will cater for all your needs, from maps to mob information to crafting information to news, etc.

What is most important to you when you need to search for information?

What would you like to see that you can't easily get at the moment?

My initial thought was, "Oh yeah, another gaming site", but when you actually get to thinking about it, most sites have some bits, then you go to another site for something else, some are good at one thing but not all, so you keep searching. What I want to try and do is get everything together in one place and give the DAoC community a place they know they can go to, to get the information they need straight away.

I look forward to feedback.

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
Up to date maps as good as the Kirstenas Atlas maps for SI and Atlantis zones would be top of my wishlist.

York

Fledgling Freddie
Camelot Herald

i use that, shame GoA cant do something similair not like it would be hard to transla .. oh wait a minute, sorry , yes goa, yes , ignore me.

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Warcry is great for quests definatly, however I don't use Allakhazam anymore - not since it became a pay sight anyway. I prefer to use La Librairie. Not so much because its better (its database is probably less complete if anything) but because I don't have to pay to use the 'search' functions.

Things i'd like to see an on DAoC site...

- Good item search facility (by lvl/resists/stats/skills/zone - that sort of thing)
- Quest Database, though I don't think i'd ever stop using Warcry.
- XML bits are always nice, though again i've got Duskwaves if I want that, so chances of me switching are minimal.
- Links, lots of links :)
- Artwork section, the Artwork sections/comics on Camelot Vault is great. Nice to look at all the pretty pic-a-tures of the twolls and stuff :)

Hmm...

Character builders are always nice? Maps have been mentioned...

tbh I think the most important thing for me would be

- Good item search facility (by lvl/resists/stats/skills/zone - that sort of thing)

La Librairie is nice, but its a pain to use and doesn't have screenshots of the items (which is especially annoying in the case of custom/unique frames) - Allakazam does, but you have to pay. It doesn't seem like theres any happy middleground atm.

Oh, and ph34r my linkage skillz ;)

Ivan

Fledgling Freddie
Lack of detailed dungeon maps
Warcry needs a quest update
TOA scrolls has turned into cash cow <i personally would rather banners than limited resourse>
VoS is very very vague in most points, but good for general reference
Kazam is okay or item reference , but some info is incorrect and the site has both banners + pop-ups and demands cash

So to the point :

TOA only related site with :

Quests
Maps
Unique Items <rare drops>
Encounter Drops
Artifacts [only activated level 10 pictures, what is the point of sending pics of unactivated stuff ? still buggs me]
Public SC templates with TOA active.
Ideally, Encounter walkthroughs <that do work and are not some fluke>

Regarding Scrolls : keep the info to the point .. no " i farmed the place for yada yada hours and it still not f***ing dropped ".

ergo

Scroll name :
Mobs that drop them :
Locations :

This is what i would really love to see.

Macceh^

Fledgling Freddie
Afternoon

I think it can be quite difficult for a site just starting up to cater for the needs of every aspect of DAoC. Aside from the man hours, there are also the bandwidth implications.

The best player driven sites usually beging with a main focus on a single area, and branch out overtime. This way you can put your full effort and concentration into a topic each time you update, concluding the maximum results.

Now for my input on your initial question:

Lack of decent articles is a major concern for me, for example say I was starting up an alt character, for arguments sake a "Hero". It would take me ages to find a piece of well written informative hero literature. I'm not just talking about player/spec guides, general day to day journal and your general community journalism are all things that in my opinion are currently over-looked with DAoC websites.

I wish you all the best of luck.

Regards

Macceh

F

Framed

I like Catacombs for the character builder.

Im not sure if theres a website that lists what camp drops what type of rog (for example, grey ghosts in Albion SI drop loads of scout related gear, apple tree gatherers typcally drop leather armor, etc) It would be nice to have some info on what mob drops what in terms of ROG. :)

Goodluck with the website.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
I use quite a few different sources for my info, there is so much info out there, youll have a damn hard job loacting all the info you are looking for;

Chars - races, factions, resists, char builders...
Crafting - CS calcs, prices, recipies, guides
Mobs - locs, factions, drops, spawn times, resists, nature, named...
Maps - what info you want on them, interactive, size, dungeons....
RvR - Stats, keeps, ranks, abilities...
Servers - Euro only quests, events, bugs, fixes...
Quests - normal, SI, ToA, Epic, mob locs, stats, pics, vids, NCPs, locs...

Thats just what comes to mind now, now cross reference all of that, and shove it on a 50Mb+ pipe and feed it to this lot on a daily basis, dont forget the pop ups to pay for your bandwidth, oh and memberships too for certain info.

My tip, talk to other like minded people and link together sites, rather than try to do it all. Put together the best of all the sites and try and build a euro Herrald or sommit.

Oh, and GOA probobly dont put half this info on the euro site because they would just be repeating the herald, so stop being lazy and click on the links section.

GL anyway m8.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Framed said:
Im not sure if theres a website that lists what camp drops what type of rog (for example, grey ghosts in Albion SI drop loads of scout related gear, apple tree gatherers typcally drop leather armor, etc) It would be nice to have some info on what mob drops what in terms of ROG. :)
Erm...you know that ROG stands for Random Object Generator, the emphasis on "random"?

Ill make a web page later, it will just have these words....

"Mobs in SI drop stuff."

That enough info for you /endsarcasm.

Sorry, its friday and i just wanna go home :(

Mishy

One of Freddy's beloved
old.Whoodoo said:
Erm...you know that ROG stands for Random Object Generator, the emphasis on "random"?

Ill make a web page later, it will just have these words....

"Mobs in SI drop stuff."

That enough info for you /endsarcasm.

Sorry, its friday and i just wanna go home :(

um, what he means is certian mobs drop certian types of ROG items.

i.e. Vikings in Gwyddneau only drop armor and weapons, and depending on which you kill, depends on what type of armor or weapons you get. Water Elementals tend to drop instruments and gems.....

So yes the stats may be random, but you can get certian items from certian mobs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom