Are you ever astounded by what you consider normal ?

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
Hi folks,
I am sitting off the coast of Africa, typing on a computer, on an internet forum. I stopped to think about it, it's fucking incredible. I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same way about things considered 'normal' today ?

Later

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
Strangely enough, I feel the same way, sat in the middle of the South China Sea reading this forum.

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
At least your working dayshift :p
By the way, djpringle, check out rigzone.com there are process operator jobs being advertised in West Africa, excuse me if this is not your line, the other thread was a while back :D

Later

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Im working for something like the 25th day straight, all have been highly pressurised 10-14hr days, and the end is just about in sight.

Is that normal?

TBH, Gengi, I prefer your version of normal. (dont you get loads of glare on your screen??) ;)

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
Ah .willer you possibly misunderstood, I am at work and will be for the next 3 and a half weeks :( , oh and yes 12 hrs a day for 28 days is normal :D

It was an attempt to spark a conversation, things we take for granted that were only available to a select few a couple of years ago are now so commonplace we no longer even think about them. Like sitting at work on an oil rig 60 miles of the coast writing a post for a forum, I could not have done that 5 years ago now if the internet goes down for a couple of hours people here get all uppitty and start giving the ET's grief :clap: .
Stuff that is taken for granted but is still incredible if you take the time to think about it :drink:

Later

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Im just about - literally - to get on my motorbike in Crawley, West Sussex.
Ill then ride to Plymouth in Cornwall, get on a ferry and land in France. From there Ill drive through France to Spain. We have nothing planned, no accomodation booked.
I do not consider this normal . Wish me luck ! :)

Whipped

Part of the furniture
throdgrain said:
Ill then ride to Plymouth in Cornwall
Plymouth is in Devon!!!!! Do not lump us in with those in-breds in Cornwall ;)

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Gengi said:
Ah .willer you possibly misunderstood, I am at work and will be for the next 3 and a half weeks :( , oh and yes 12 hrs a day for 28 days is normal :D

Later
Right, gotcha. Sorry, didnt quite catch that bit "..off the coast.." :(

At least I get to leave the refinery at the end of each day (usually) ;)

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Funnily enough i keep thinking that. I've gotten so used to this place i forget how people react to the heat and the surroundings.

and i'm accustomed to hanging out with loonies.

Summo

Loyal Freddie
throdgrain said:
Ill then ride to Plymouth in Cornwall
Fuck me, Throddy's not even crossed the Channel yet and already he's heading for the wrong county.

He won't make it, guys. He won't make it...

:(

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I was talking on the phone to someone in New York (from York in England) the other day and a taxi pulled up outside my house and pipped the horn; the girl I was talking to heard the taxi, I thought how amazing it was that the guy's horn was heard in an apartment thousands of miles away.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
What amazes me is they can communicate with equipment on Mars...before it gets lost or stolen.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I talked to my best mate who is in Oz atm, and the line was instant, full duplex. Back when I still lived in Indonesia, the lag to GB and holland was often in 10's of seconds.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
'normal' is for losers ... people who seek to control everything around them by saying "i like this" and shouting/jumping about a lot (like monkeys) to scare the er, other losers thath appen to be around.#

die pls.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Gengi said:
Hi folks,
I am sitting off the coast of Africa, typing on a computer, on an internet forum. I stopped to think about it, it's fucking incredible. I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same way about things considered 'normal' today ?

Later

Are you living on an island of some sort? If so which? :p

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
IIRC there aren't many golfers on these boards so this may not mean as much, but at uni we found it perfectly normal to turn up on the first tee of the Old Course (the most famous course in golf) and jump straight on. Normally you have to go into a draw the day before then part with £100 for the priviledge.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
On a related note;

Why do golfers wear 2 pairs of trousers?

Incase they get a hole in one!!!!

Thankyouverymuch.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Cdr said:
On a related note;

Why do golfers wear 2 pairs of trousers?

Incase they get a hole in one!!!!

Thankyouverymuch.

In the words of your avatar... "Alll-riiiight!"

When I was a kid/teenager, the furthest thing from my mind was settling down with a long term partner, working regular hours and even having a mortgage. Now all these things are "normal" to me. I even pay bills and stuff!
Oh and although my pay packet isn't hoog, I can buy take-away when I like, get the odd dvd when I feel like it etc etc. Mmmmmmnormal.

constanze

Fledgling Freddie
normal is always that what 3/4 of the peeps thinks is "normal"

so if 75% of the population would say its ok to smoke weed and copy music/films over the net we had no problems :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom