Are there any other options?

G

granny

OK moving house in 3 weeks time and gonna need broadband asap there.

Currently got an NTL cable modem and love it, gutted that NTL have no coverage in the area I'm moving too :/

So that leaves me with ADSL yeah? Checked the availability thingies and basically I'm going to be right on the edge of the distance limit so it's 50:50 whether or not ADSL is going to be possible...

So if it isn't are there any other feasible alternatives? Please god don't tell me I'll have to go back to ISDN, I can't bear the thought of that again :/

G

granny

Oh I forgot too, anyone know what the situation is with the single user USB ADSL modems and ICS these days? I've got 2 PC's networked and at the moment I just share the cable modem connection in w2k and it all works hunky dory, both PC's online, no hassles. Is it going to be that simple with ADSL or am I going to have to get technical and learn about shit like NAT etc?

X

xane

I'm not familiar with how Cable Modems connect, but if its just like a normal modem then thats also exactly how the USB ADSL modem works too, just uses Dial-Up Networking and therefore ICS/NAT stuff will fall into place.

I had HH ISDN and moved to USB ADSL when the "host" machine was a Windows 98SE box, simply replaced the Dial-Up connection and it worked like normal.

I have a cut-down Linux configuration acting as Router/Firewall for the ADSL connection now, much faster and more secure.

G

granny

OK cool cama, sounds like it'll work fine. I considered using an old p166 i've got lying around as a router/firewall but then I realised that I'd just fuck it up and the way I have now works so why fuck with it eh :p

P

Perplex

Cable is not a dial-up connection like ADSL. It's a network connection - the point still stands however, you can share the connection the same way you can share any connection.

Also, *all* dsl connections inthe UK have been converted to RADSL as far as I know. This means that if your PC can not connect at the full speed (512kbps for example) because of line noise and/or distance from exchange, it will auto-negotiate a slower speed. Pretty much the same way normal dial-up modems do.

M

.Moriarty.

Originally posted by granny
are there any other feasible alternatives?

Can you see anyone from the roof of the house that your moving to that is able to get cable / dsl that is within ~ 10km? If so, you could set up a wireless link between you and them and share the connection. Its relativley easy and cheap to do aswell..

S

Summo

Heh heh heh. Nice idea. :)

"Excuse me, sir. You don't know me, but I've been watching your house from 5km away and I can't help but notice you have a fast Internet connection..."

S

Summo

ADSL rawks. As Perp says it's not quite 'always on' as cable is. You establish a Dial-Up connection, though no numbers are actually dialled. The connection process usually takes a second or less. ICS will work without a problem (it does on mine) but bear in mind you'll need to reconfigure it slightly to allow your client to 'dial-up' via your ICS host. Have a look and you'll see what I mean. It's no biggy.

Can you not get Blueyonder in your new location?

M

.Moriarty.

Originally posted by Summo
Heh heh heh. Nice idea. :)

"Excuse me, sir. You don't know me, but I've been watching your house from 5km away and I can't help but notice you have a fast Internet connection..."
I was thinking more along the lines of somone you know, but hey, that may work aswell ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom