Archers? Better off opening from range or melee V casters in open field?

censi

Can't get enough of FH
Just wanted peoples take on this subject.

My point of view is its near suicide to open on a caster from range with bow, mainly because your going to get QC CC'd and then the barrage of nukes comes which you either have to charge down or flee from (and decide fast etc). I get much more success in opening in melee and staying on top of the caster. Purge (III) any CC stay on them, FZ and IP if required.

Do the more snipe spec rangers still have success with attacking casters from range and killing purly with bow or bow and kite?

anioal

Fledgling Freddie
nah, not the old style anyway... just some arrows on rapidfire from close range to get rid of brittles or a gs javeline then full melee, if the caster gets me from range i get creamed if i cant use ps to get in melee range... even in melee range moc+lifetap is better than anything

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Many "less experienced" casters use to freak out when you pop next to them and start meleeing. Plus, you´re missing out a lot of toys when you´re attacking from range, FZ etc. However, I still prefer the traditional way of kiting them. Btw, the braggart aoe-damage proc is a nice way to get rid of an army of brittle guards. :)

Legohelten

Fledgling Freddie
i prefer from range. fools bow on rapid fire, gs charge to kill brittles. if he mocs i phaseshift and move to melee range and hopefully gets the job done. but im a hunter so my bow is faster then my spear.

Guindor

Fledgling Freddie
if u shoot them from range and u dont kill them asap they usualy sprints out of range.....or moc anf till u get near them u ask for reb00f
So imo if u r sniper mode "open" as most as possible to them but stay with ur bow till u see that u must go melee (if they moc /pet jumps u) so u can pr Fz or pwn them..... tho if u think that u will kill them ASAP range is the best open
imo always....

My 2 cents.....

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
As a scout i can normally take down most casters before they can interupt me, an army of brittles go down fast to rapid fire. Opening with FZ followed by a few Pierces and then slam when they get off the FZ can handle most low rr casters with no issues whatsoever..

Dafft

One of Freddy's beloved
I would attack from close, shoot/slam/shoot/fz/shoot with luck, most casters are dead if you have bout 40~ 50 bow

Faen

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm my ranger takes em out from distance, a archer/stealther is a coward class, hit and run hit and run.

Kwidz

Fledgling Freddie
open on range is just stupid imo

in sorc view xd

Castus

Can't get enough of FH
Rapid fire with fools bow does the job from range with nps.

Denarius

Loyal Freddie
Slighty easier with hunter , get close send pet to break brittles/BT, then get into melee, they tend to run a away, rear styles= dead caster, FZ if they moc ofc.

Castus

Can't get enough of FH
Denarius said:
Slighty easier with hunter , get close send pet to break brittles/BT, then get into melee, they tend to run a away, rear styles= dead caster, FZ if they moc ofc.
|The 'hunter' in question being one of the many he`s grped with :p

Sauruman

Loyal Freddie
Open with RF, than go close, and melee the damn bastard till he's eating dirt!

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Tbh it depends on the situation.

A solo mage with no brittals and no pet is easy sniper fodder, usually 2-3 arrows, sometimes just a crit will do the job on the softer, unbuffed mages.

Solo mage with brittals, i'd open, rapid fire and sureshot enough to kill the brittals and then speed burst, restealth, come back and finish the job.

The only solo mage I would try and melee instead of shooting is a Lock, open with side chain and hope to deal enough damage to kill them before they recover or purge. Then again, locks are a class i avoid if i can, even if i win i end up nearsighted and either on low HP or slowly dying of a dot and unable to restealth. Plus my melee isn't great being a sniper spec :(

As a soloer (unbuffed, thats right an unbuffed ranger, there is one at least ;)), i wont touch grouped mages. Either i get accused of leaching (even when hibs are losing and going to wipe and i try and help by taking out a sorc or a healer, i still get accused of adding/leaching, so I simply don't bother anymore) or they have a blocker which spells death more often than not.

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
Castus said:
|The 'hunter' in question being one of the many he`s grped with :p

'Yeah i just unstealth and run towards them knowing that the 4 SB's and 2 hunters i'm grouped with will help me out, that sorc couldn't possibley take us all down...'

Castus

Can't get enough of FH
Bubble said:
'Yeah i just unstealth and run towards them knowing that the 4 SB's and 2 hunters i'm grouped with will help me out, that sorc couldn't possibley take us all down...'

A victim speaks!:)

tierk

Part of the furniture
At range if possible and tbh at max range too, as it gives me room to chip incase things go wrong :D

Osri

Fledgling Freddie
With arms xbow 25 spec...

Haa, caster spotted :D
run towards !
use snapshot fast, switch xbow, start firing !
run towards firing like mad, kills 1-2 brittles
you get close melee due resisted cc spells ofc
shield swipe rest of nasty brittles and stuff...proceed for slam !
Caster slammed
But but, full S/S spec so have to use backslash some...
WTF he gets healed :confused:
Ah, damn chanters pet is free and healing :eek7:
after lonnnng period chasing and using end stone F I N A L L Y kill, took some time and endustone to out damage those pet heals ! :clap:
Scareh, isnt it?

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
Pfft your just lucky he didn't try staffing you to death!

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
As 2H it's rather like this:

Random RR7-9 SM comes, stops, MoCs, you shout the pet off, slam him and hope that the purge is not up. They are like the anti-heroes to Vodkafairy's tactical positioning.

Elitestoner

Can't get enough of FH
generally i start it off with rapid fire arrows about 600 range away from the caster, then once BT/brittles are gone, run up and slam, crit shot etc.

Crocky

Banned
Manisch Depressiv said:
As 2H it's rather like this:

Random RR7-9 SM comes, stops, MoCs, you shout the pet off, slam him and hope that the purge is not up. They are like the anti-heroes to Vodkafairy's tactical positioning.

SM with MoC ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom