apt-get

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
why did windows never implment sucha simple but brilliant idea

it really is cool, rather then having to google and install all kinds of spyware infested freeware to find a useful app all i have to do is tell my computer what i want and a short while later i have it, pure magic

if it wasn't for my games and the poor ati support i'd stay with linux all the time

Athan

Resident Freddy
Yup, dpkg itself is good, a more or less sane package format, and then the whole apt thing came along. Besides apt-get there's also apt-cache as in 'apt-cache search foo' to find packages that might meet requirement 'foo'. You'll likely want to make that 'apt-cache search foo | sort | less' though to have it in alphabetical order (assuming more than one repository used). Then just 'apt-get install thingy' as you've already found :).

Of course I shouldn't blow this trumpet too hard, as you can get apt-get for Redhat as well if you want to.

-Ath

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
Cool innit? I usually use the dselect front-end, rather than poke about with dpkg and apt-get by hand.

Of course this sort of installation wizardry only existis and works becase a *lot* of people spend time maintaining the package system and repackaging applications for Debian, SuSE, etc. Microsoft just can't be arsed making every software house conform, besides most Windows software cannot be repackaged without the source code - doh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom