Applied for new job

S

sad_mung

I've worked in my current job for 15 years (and 10 days).
It's a safe job, I have a house nearby, but I AM BORED SHITLESS AND FRUSTRATED TO THE Nth DEGREE.
So I've applied for another job (and with my experience I stand a good chance of getting it). The only problem I can see is it's a 45 minute drive every day.
I've never driven to work, I always walk/bike, and what I want to ask you guys is in two parts:

Do you commute for any length of time?

Does it piss you off?

Answers please.....

L

L_Plates

Travel around 30 mins to work.

Does it piss me off : Not going to work just on the way home it does especially on a Friday :/

I

icemaiden

It normally takes me about 35mins to get to work each morning, and tbh i kinda like it coz it's a nice drive and i get peace and quiet for a bit, however some nice people thought it would be a good idea to dig part of the road i drive to work on. This has since made the journey take at least 1hr 30mins each way. I no longer enjoy driving to work :(

F

Flamin_Squirrel

I traveled for an hour and a half into london last summer for a temp job. It involved a 30min walk to the station, where i spent the best part of the next hour embrasing the pleasures of rail travel with my fellow happy commuters. It was hell. However, it was the method of travel that irritated me, and the fact it was a shit job that wound me up the most, not the time it took.

If you're going to enjoy the job, 45mins travel hopefully wont bother you, so id say go for it. Good luck :D

T

Tilda

Originally posted by sad_mung

Do you commute for any length of time?

Does it piss you off?

Answers please.....

1) Yes around 45 mins walk each way.

2) Yes when i arrive in the summer hot and sweaty in teh suit. Winters not so bad as I like the cold :) If I have a lot to carry though I get stressed too.

Tilda

S

Sibanac

I got about a 10 min drive, 50 min train and 15 min walk both ways everyday.

Its a pain, but you adjust to it after a while. I tend to sleep on the train so that saves me about 1.30h sleep :)

I used to have a car comute of about an hour (trafic willing)

So for me a 45 min drive sounds like the easy living :)

one of the other things i do to save same time is eat breaky on the train/in the car.

In general i'dd say if you enjoy your job its ok, if you dont its a real pain.
But anyway its still hard and makes for long days

F

Flamin_Squirrel

Eat breaky on the train eh?

Can tell you dont work in london :D

W

WPKenny

I commute, door to door, for about 2.5 hours there and 2.5 hours back from my home in Canterbury to my job in London.

I get the train. Connex. It fucking sucks.

H

Hashmonster

I used to travel 45mins to get 13miles by car - journey was actually ok but was kinda destroying my car (the way i drive maybe? :)).

Change job 7months ago and it was 10mins away from my house, but they've pissed around with the lights on the main road (mitcham common) so now my journey takes longer and i hate sitting in traffic..!!

could take a bike but i'll get run over guranteed! :)

Think i may start job hunting again, job is a bit boring now :(

H

Hashmonster

ooooo yes it is! thankfully i dont live there!

I live in the other dump... croydon!

O

old.milou

Ah...Connex

A couple of my colleagues encounter Connex most mornings. I commute into Bloomsbury from Southampton on SW Trains three days per week - the other two I'm working at home.

So...10mins to station in morning, 06:43 train, Waterloo by 08:04, office by 08:20. The two days per week make it bearable (and the fact that my £4k pa ticket is paid for me :D )

Edit: best of luck with the interview

D

Daffeh

I commute for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours each way to uni on trains/buses/foot each day.

T

Tom

Originally posted by Hashmonster
I used to travel 45mins to get 13miles by car - journey was actually ok but was kinda destroying my car (the way i drive maybe? :)).

I could do that in the same time, on my racing bike.

E

Ekydus

I'm near the South Pole, but I want to move up north because I love the aurora borealis.

S

Sawtooth

Travel by car everyday, 45min each way. Been doing it for 15 years. No it doesnt bother me. Just get a decent sound system and listen to music. Gives me time to organise my thoughts for the day. Also I can wind down in the car (travel through the countryside past a White Horse.)

A

Ash!

Originally posted by Sawtooth
Travel by car everyday, 45min each way. Been doing it for 15 years. No it doesnt bother me. Just get a decent sound system and listen to music. Gives me time to organise my thoughts for the day. Also I can wind down in the car (travel through the countryside past a White Horse.)

What he said with the exception of the white horse

O

Ono

Use to have the 45 min commute into the City until last April when I got a job locally.

Now it takes me 10mins by car. :clap: :clap:

Parking space provided by the company. :p

S

Summo

Originally posted by Ekydus
I'm near the South Pole, but I want to move up north because I love the aurora borealis.
Obscure! :eek6:

C

.Cask

I've got a 15 minute walk to Uni and work is a 5 minute walk away, in the sweet spot here I love it :)

Only downside is there are no chippys anywhere near. Closest take away is a dominos and I can't afford their rip off prices anymore.

M

madcow

if your in a job dont rush to leave look for other jobs closer to home I did and it now takes me 10 mins drive down the motorway this saves me over 2 hours a day compared to my last job and about 25 quid a week on fuel.

the major thing is you have decided to leave your job this should take the presure off you make sure you dont panic and take the firs thing you see take it easy for a while and take the job you want and make sure you get extra money for the travel and time, car repairs, anti freeze the list goes on

you could buy a motorbike it wont save much time as people think as you spend 15 mins getting your leathers on in the morning. But its fun when you do :)

T

Testin da Cable

I am seriously considering leaving my nice job mucking about with unixish things to travel about and work temporary jobs for a year or two. I very nearly accepted a position at a youth hostel in NewZealand .

for some reason I'm deeply afraid to do it :eek7:

as to commuting, I used to work in Amsterdam, with a 1.5hour commute both ways. the train service in Holland deteriorated to the extent that I had no idea at all how long the traveltime would be (once took me 7 hours to get home). I now work close to home. Close being 5 minutes by bike :D

L

lovedaddy

North East - A1 travel each morning. About 30 mins from just outside Durham to Newcastle-ish way.
As much as I say I hate it, I'd favour driving over the mockery of a public transport system this country has.

Only bad when weather conditions aint great, tops about an hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom