Question Anyone working freelance as a graphic designer or illustrator?

eksdee

FH is my second home
I'm aware of how frustratingly broad and open-ended this question is, but still I would love some insight. Are any of you working in the 'creative' field as a freelancer? If so, how did you get started?

I finished uni in 2009, coming away with (for what little it's worth) a 1st in illustration. A period of unemployment followed and I eventually found a job in July 2010 as a graphic designer for a local newspaper.

Right now I am applying for a tonne of jobs in London so that I can finally move in with my girlfriend. We've been together for nearly 6 years and still both live with our parents - ridiculous, I know. Essentially I'd like to supplement the portfolio and skills I already have by taking on some freelance work, and maybe with a view to going full-time freelance if it worked out well.

If nothing else, I'm worried where I work is holding my skills back hugely as it is very old fashioned here, and feel extra work would give me a lift. My problem is I simply don't know where to start. I've done a lot of free work for friends/bands and such that I know through my personal life over the years and s I began by posting my blog and portfolio around a bunch of different music-related websites/forums, but nothing has come of it. Outside that, I've tried websites like creativepool, elance and peopleperhour but to no avail. I'm sure I have the ability to succeed, but a lack of confidence and experience is holding me back.

Any advice would be greatfully received.

Also, sorry for the wall of text. :)

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Don't know how much this applies because I'm a writer not an artist, and still only making a start of a career for myself but my experience so far has been this. The first step was definitely the hardest so far. I got out of college, wanted to be a Journo/writer and wasn't really sure how. As it happened I moved to Washington DC to live with my girlfriend and this ended up helping a lot because this is one of the better places to get a job as a Journo. I was lucky in that her Grandfather had used to work at a news program over here and he got me an interview for an entry level position there and I got that job. Since I've been here I've had to opportunity to write some stuff to make a small portfolio for myself but more than anything else it's been great to go to people and say "hey...this well respected news organization trusted me to write all these articles for then, you should too".

So my advice? Long and rambling as it is, move to London, always going to be more opportunities there. try to get a job that allows you to build a portfolio and then look for freelance work. That's just my experience.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Semi-artist, more design freelance here;

Stop doing stuff for free.
Create a website.
Post what you do on your website.
Send said link to places.

That being said(and me done only probably one of those 'cause i'm greedy that way ;)), freelance is dodgy as f*ck to pull off as there's probably 10k peeps with your skillset doing freelance when they don't have a job. Hobbylancers if you will.

Going pro-freelance(meaning a steady check), means devoting all your time on it and basically it'll mean pork&bean cans for a good 3 years as you build up clientbase, connectons etc.

Lot of work, dedication and studying the net for places to be, people to poke with portfolios and so on.

As a "on the side" freelance(as i understand you are trying) can be fun, but you won't have time for it to do it properly and if you're not going to be dedicated 24/7, you will have a harder time getting it off the ground.

So advice wise? Keep at it, but if you're doing it for fun, expect nothing. If you're really serious i'd advice quitting and doing off-jobs freelance, BUT...

BIG BUT...

...it's risky as hell, you'll be skint without a steady job and can fall on your arse mighty hard. Wont' even count GF leaving because of it out.

Not very positive, but mostly true.

eksdee

FH is my second home
Appreciate the candid nature of your reply, I'm aware of the realities of full-time freelancing - hence the fact of looking for a job first and foremost!

About a website, would it be a massive time investment to build one myself with almost zero prior knowledge? I've built extremely simply CSS-based websites many moons ago for school, but nothing that would hold such importance to me personally or be public. When I look at successful illustrators' websites - for example www.davidfoldvari.co.uk - simplicity seems to be key. Building something like Mr. Folvari's site can't be hard I assume?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Web design ain't my thing really, so can't say how long it'll take. Not too long from what i've heard, mostly about coming up with a website that reflects you.

Basically at first glance of your page, you need to give the right image.

If i for example would make a page, i'd have a simple link system with clear titles and then adjust the colorscheme and illustration to what i feel is important to me(for example viking style would be a possible choice).

It's kinda like your clothes, they are simple enough, do the job, but also tell who you are at a glance.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
About a website, would it be a massive time investment to build one myself with almost zero prior knowledge? I've built extremely simply CSS-based websites many moons ago for school, but nothing that would hold such importance to me personally or be public. When I look at successful illustrators' websites - for example www.davidfoldvari.co.uk - simplicity seems to be key. Building something like Mr. Folvari's site can't be hard I assume?

That is a failure of a website.

Anyway, minimal is fine, but it's not the only way. You probably do want something fairly simple as you're not trying to show off web design skills. Probably the best thing you can do is set up a Wordpress site and buy a theme from Premium WordPress Themes and Web Templates - ThemeForest, or ask someone to make you a simple site as a favour (although simple is never quite so simple -- they'd need to make it in a way that allows you to easily add new stuff to your portfolio).

eksdee

FH is my second home
What makes you say it is a failure of a website? It has the required functions, easily accessible. Interested to get an understanding of what makes/breaks a simple website like that.

Thanks for the ThemeForest link - that definitely seems like a good idea to relatively cheaply/simply set up a professional-looking website. Much appreciated.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Well there isn't much to get wrong, and yet he got it all wrong. The two most basic things, the text links and the thumbs, are too small. The text because it isn't readable, the thumbs because they don't even begin to give an accurate representation of the full image.

I'm not saying he should be able to do better – he is an illustrator, not an interface designer.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Basically what Toht said...

I`m a freelancer game designer, writer, artist and it`s incredibly frustrating to get the ball rolling. For a graphic designer / illustrator it´s even more difficult, because you have to compete with an army of chinese/korean/russian artist who are litterlally working for a few cents.
My best suggestion for you: try to get a job as a lead artist or concept artist in a company. Alternatively: try to find a couple of other freelancers, coders, designers etc., develop a project and try to find an investor for it.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
i tried the same for a bit eksdee, but i realised my heart just wasn't really in it and got a job in insurance :)
I got a few lucky breaks with some freelance work, but its good to use your mates for stuff as well, if you know anyone from uni that works somewhere good now, ask them to hook you up with some freelance work. Even if it means unpaid, at least its a project for your portfolio.

Maybe include in your portfolio you favourite album designs that you did, but you need some variety in there. Do some concept designs/reworking, like book covers for your favourite books. Knock up some prints and get them in a local gallery. Do card designs and send em off to card companies etc.

Im not gonna lie, that industry is so so competitive (think i read somewhere, 10k people are graduating with it each year) and it takes so much hard work and effort to even get that first proper freelance job, but keep going. It sounds like the job your in is alright for the moment!

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Oh and forgot to mention, look for something called the AOI Directory list.
If your interested in doing editorial work, its kind of essential.
Its basically a list thats updated each year with the names/email addresses of creative directors in the biggest magazines in the country.
I chipped in with my mates (was about 8 of us I think) and it cost around £10 each. That was 3 years ago when I graduated though so Im not sure if its all changed. I'd send you over my copy but I cant remember where I put it and its pretty out of date now.
It had around 200 or so names on it.

I had my own website until recently (when they wanted to charge my extortionate rates to renew) and it was pretty helpful, but I wouldnt say worth paying what I did for it. Look for the free template sites like someone mentioned. Conversely, I loved having a decent design/flashy bits on mine because it reflected my style of illustration. But if you don't know how, don't bother. either get a mate to do it for free (or cheapo) or build a templated one.

Im sure theres other things im supposed to mention as well... :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom