Anyone who has SI working properly with the new GFX withno lag , read pls

S

squalion

hi, my si is really laggy atm, and its my gfx/ram,

anyone who has it working nicely with allt he new gfx like water etc , can u pls just tell me what gfx card and how much ram u got pls?

i cant seem to find GeForce ATI for sale anywhere :/

M

mavericky

Amd athlon 2400, gf4 4600, 1gig of ram

Works like a dream after lag of old engine

D

Danya

Dual Athlon XP 2400+
GF4 Ti 4600
1GB RAM

It's smooth. ;)

G

Gabrial

Originally posted by squalion
so guessing i should get GeForce 4? with 128MB Ram , got a crappy tnt2 32mb ram atm :p lol

would this be ok?

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=39560

thanks to Old.Oxygen for this:

GeForce 4 mx420 *no reflective water support / classic shadows only*
GeForce 4 mx440 *no reflective water support / classic shadows only*
GeForce 4 Ti 4200

Here are some links to v.nice graphics card I posted for someone else. I would advise against a radeon, unless you dont have a via chipset.

http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-s...orce+4&lp=&up=&mc=&sc=&Refine.x=36&Refine.y=8

The Ti48000 AGP x8 looks nice (same as a Ti46000 with AGP 8 support)

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd3Byb2R1Y3Rfc2VhcmNocmVzdWx0cw==

(not so cheap)

and finally, the cheapest I found for a Ti48000 (fifth one down):

http://www.misco.co.uk/?sn=2084984224

C

Chenuba

P4-2,53 Ghz/533 mhz
GF4-Ti4400 (It has to be a graphics adapter that's not more than 1-1½ year old to work properly I guess, GF4-Ti4xxx series works good).
512 ram (pc 2700)

No lag.

O

old.yaruar

Athlon 750 (*cough* got knows how it copes)
256Mb PC100 ram
G-Force 4 Ti4200 128

I tinkered with the water slightly, with high detail max refresh it sucked, dropped it to the lowest performance and I'm running at 1280X1024 with no lag issues

D

Damon_D

I even has it running on my second comp , an old 1 ghz t-bird with 384 mb ram , and an old geforce annihilator with 32 mb ram

Turn of the fancy stuff and its smooth running , no lag/stuttering at all

O

old.amoeba

Athlon 1.4
512mb ram
Geforce 3 ti200
Windows XP Pro

Using FRAPS (a program to show fps), the framerate is between 20-50 ish in PvE (not tested in rvr yet).

I

inqy

ok for you guys that have no FPS lag....

do you ever get the stutters when entering a different zone OR when a number of enemy are starting to come into range (not necessarily visual range) ?

O

old.job

Lets clear up LAG and FRAMERATE here.

Lag surely is caused by poor ping times to server, and causes players to jump about.
Framerate is how many times per second the gfx card can refresh the screen, anything less than 25 will look stuttery.
Ingy you need faster HD , raids the way to go with 2 drives working in unison, my mates old system used it and there was no jump when entering new zone whatsoever. Or how about SCSI drive, have thought about the new 320dma standard, anyone use SCSI drive?

G

Gabrial

My motherboard supports RAID apparently. I got one 80 gig drive on there atm - is it worth getting a 20/40 gig drive and RAID them together in a stripe set or something? How does this affect my current setup - are we looking at a reinstall (Windows XP)?

O

old.job

Ooh nasty, stripe is the way to go and 2 X20gb drives still gives you 40gb space, maybe you could just load daoc on to new drives, but really once you've got it , why leave OS running on old drive?
My mate upgraded to latest pc, but has lost his raid setup and he was horrified at how slow the new drive is. The other thing is, with raid, you always zone first :)
You can have 2 combined drives, with 1 drive as a back up, but there are 2 different types of raid, only 1 supports this.

I

inqy

if you use raid the smallest capacity drive will be used for both.

so normal setup:
80gig
40gig
This of course is 40+80=120gig total

With raid, this would effectively turn them into:
40+40 = 80gig total.

So you'll lose 40gig of disk space, I can't see that being worth it. Better to buy another 40gig disk or another 80gig to match up.

I also forgot to mention, should you lose a hard disk in this configuration, you'll lose all the data that was stored on both of them. Like I did :( ,this put me off using the raid facility to gain extra performance.

O

old.job

Yup that is bad, use 80 gig as back up, but you need raid board that can handle ,stripe AND backup.

G

gorff

Ati radeon 9700 pro,512 ram.Works very nice with all the graphics up full.

C

cadiva

I've got a Radeon too

I'm currently running the following specs

Athlon XP 2200
Win XP
40G HDD
Hercules (ATI chip) Radeon 8500 64m
512 Ram
MSI mb with VIA chipset

and I don't have any problems with my card and SI graphics. I have the lovely new water textures, shadows, etc and very little packet loss or low framerate.

This is with the latest drivers downloaded from here:

Rage3D

Hope this helps a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom