Books Anyone watching the Amazon tablet/kindle event?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Watching it on Gizmodo at the moment; Amazon Fire looks like a really interesting media tablet, but although they haven't said it yet, I can't see this being sold outside the US for the forseeable future, which is a bit of shame. Touchscreen Kindles will be huge this Christmas though.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Watching it on Gizmodo at the moment; Amazon Fire looks like a really interesting media tablet, but although they haven't said it yet, I can't see this being sold outside the US for the forseeable future, which is a bit of shame. Touchscreen Kindles will be huge this Christmas though.

Only heard about it on Radio 4 this morning and haven't had a chance to read about it yet.

I'm optimistic though. Despite being a lover of books (the paper kind) and very cynical about ebook readers (in any form), I have come to love the latest gen Kindle and there is no touchscreen in sight *gasp*. I am now reading shit loads more than I ever have and can take the 5 books I'm usually reading at once in one bag.

I've been waiting for a Tab that suits me better than the iTrinket so I'll check out the Gizmodo video when I get in from work.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
I think I'd prefer a non-touchscreen Kindle, given the choice.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I still waiting on the tablet from Boeing which has small wings on the side of it.

I can really see that taking off.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Just what I always wanted. A cheap, featureless iPad clone designed so I can read my ebooks through a greasy fingerprint covered touch screen.

The new Kindle however looks cute ;)

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Was watching this and getting quite excited about it, and shortly after when I looked at the UK store afterwards my enthusiasm came to a complete halt.

I can understand the Kindle Fire being US only, they've got content deals which are going to be region restricted - so it'll take some time before this ever comes here (if at all). I was expecting this to be US only, so I'm not too bothered.

However the rest of the Kindle range is highly disappointing. No UK versions of the Kindle Touch or Kindle Touch 3G, just the new lower priced Kindle. Then you realise that they aren't doing an ad supported version here, so the super low price point is lost. $79 for an ad supported US Kindle, £89 for the UK version without ads.

It's just disappointing to see higher prices and less availability.

- English -

Resident Freddy
I was looking forward to the new kindle fire, I wanted something in colour for reading mainly pdfs, news pages and education journals - when I want to laze around or when im out. Sadly to my dissapointment, it has been confirmed it wont be released in EU. I don't fancy buying one of the other kindles available due to the out of dateness.

Are there any other cheap like alternatives?

- English -

Resident Freddy
what would you say is best value for £250?

would prefer something smaller than large tbh, i liked the size dimensions of the kindle fire.

Embattle

FH is my second home
People can like the Fire all they like but it isn't due here for some time.

- English -

Resident Freddy
I do like the look of that Tablet. The thing is thats puting me off, there appears to be so many of them, and by the time you have bought it and had it shipped, its out of date as another model or company has brought one out. And knowing my luck, ill buy one, and the following week a better tablet for the same budget will come out. I've decided to try hang on til christmas and perhaps treat myself then, but will keep an eye out on coming stuff :)

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
All you really need a tablet for is browsing and multimedia (movies, music, books) and any decent tablet can do all that. Anything else is just a bonus really.

- English -

Resident Freddy
hows the 3g work in these things, you buy a 3g device then have to buy a contract or does it come inclusive?

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Usually a contract, or just tether it through your phone

- English -

Resident Freddy
ah that could be interesting, i have a htc wildfire atm and pay for 3g use, something like 6 quid a month, would it be linkable to the tab?

Embattle

FH is my second home
On my HTC Desire I activate the Portable Wi-Fi hotspot which means my Asus Transformer can connect to it, however these options are sometimes removed like most tethering options by the mobile providers via their customized roms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom