anyone play this with a 56K modem?

O

old.PyRoMaNcEr

I am thinking of getting DAoC but I am not sure how well it will run on a 56K connection. I know the box says it will work with one but is it really laggy and does it play ok???:confused:

O

old.Ibuki

eblessair plays on a SHARED 56k, so i think its cool ;)

O

old.Redox

I play on 56K and dont get too much lag.

Can get a few stutters at the busiest times, but its managable.

D

Dair

yup i'm on a 56k modem running ICS with me as host, with one other machine, with our new isp its mostly fine.

normally only goes ld at the worst possible time :)

J

Jupitus

I use 56k connection from Demon internet in the UK. I have no 2hr cut off which is great. I think lag issues during RvR are more PC related than connection, although I'd love to try out my pc on a broadband connection :)

I managed to run up the stairs and attack the Jarl Lord at Beno last night, no problem ... must have been about 100 payers there at the time, so I'd say 56k is fine :)

Good luck, enjoy the game!

Jup.

D

Dewey

I played with 56k for the first month then got adsl :D
playing with a 56k modem is fine, the only times you would notice it is in large scale RvR etc

O

old.LittleDwarf

Anyone know of any UK isp's that dont have that annoying 2 hour cut-off? Or at least a isp that has a cut-off policy of longer than 2 hours?
Very annoying having to reconnect.

O

old.Raziel

Originally posted by Jupitus
I think lag issues during RvR are more PC related than connection,

Yes its not lag at all, the engine can not handle to many players in one area, which makes it run like shite and give u 2 fps (bit of a silly thing for mythic to do, but the new version is ment to beable to handle alot more)

also i used to play on a 56k and was fine for me.

O

old.tRoG

tbh daoc is not very connection dependant - its more of a test to see if you pc is up to the job ;)

btw, i run daoc on a 500mhz athlon... and the min spec is 450mhz p3 :)

that is not advised, and it the reason my framerate goes down to about 2 when theres 20-a-side-ish rvr

O

old.PyRoMaNcEr

thanx for the help, however i have one last question:

if u sign up tot he Europe servers cause I live in UK can I play on the US servers for free?

M

Mousey

No - the US servers are a separate entity. There is much controversy over this issue as many wish they had started on the US servers.

(The UK version does not give access to US servers)

Ignore the bitching. Stick with europe... we need you... plus you don't have to be up at 3.00 a.m. to enjoy the RvR activities.

Welcome. Enjoy.

O

old.TonkED

Originally posted by Mousey
plus you don't have to be up at 3.00 a.m. to enjoy the RvR
[/B]

Thats not true, i moved to the US version this weekend and its a hell lot better,

the RvR just fine, well on MLF anyway, i went on at 9am this morning 1000+ people and it kept going up and up, the RvR usally goes on 24/7,

So ignore people who say 3am for decent RvR load of cake!!

BTW, Gotta love the new robes!!! (well old ones look cool:clap:)
And am getting a hell lot less lag spikes, playing on my 2nd day and only had 1 lag spike up to now, and no Link deads,

and thats playing with my 56k Modem (not at my house atm)

S

SFXman

Games really don't take much bandwidth... they need more of a stable connection. Packet loss is much worse than a bad ping, different things. For example a single-isdn is superb for online games since there is easily that small amount of bandwidth required AND it is 100% digital and there really is zerp % packet loss...
If your ISP is a good one and your 56k modem has good PL and ping in FPSs it'll be fine.

EDIT: In-game, especially in large RvR battles, you might notice something that seems like major PL/lag but most likely it is the damn incapable engine of the game.

K

kain_pravus

I used to use a 56k, and it even had a 2 hour limit before I was disconnected... Annoying yes.

But to be honest it was ok for general gamming... any big raids may be a problem but the LD's are about the same with cable.

O

old.Rawkeer

i play on a shared 56k connection, dont get any lag.. The only downside is the two hour cutoff, but i can live with it coz its free.

Playing on a 1.1ghz athlon with 512megs of ram i can handle most RvR, only the large scale keep raids and relic raids give me hassle, even then i dont "lag and fall through walls to shoot people" :p

S

SFXman

Originally posted by Rawkeer
i play on a shared 56k connection, dont get any lag.. The only downside is the two hour cutoff, but i can live with it coz its free.

Playing on a 1.1ghz athlon with 512megs of ram i can handle most RvR, only the large scale keep raids and relic raids give me hassle, even then i dont "lag and fall through walls to shoot people" :p
DAoC actually takes around 1kb of bandwidth... cousin tested it. That's why it doesn't matter if you have a 56k modem. Of course in RvR it might take more but still... a modem can easily handle it.

Every machine lags in large RvR battles, even if you have a 2.0ghz cpu, 1024mb ram and GF4... the game engine can't handle it, not your PC. If the engine could handle it a 1ghz, 256mb ram and GF2 would run smooth in large battles aswell.

E

Elvewen

Originally posted by LittleDwarf
Anyone know of any UK isp's that dont have that annoying 2 hour cut-off? Or at least a isp that has a cut-off policy of longer than 2 hours?
Very annoying having to reconnect.

AOL - But you have to use their pants dialup, cant share the connection between two machines on a network and can no longer user extermal e-mail clients (Outlook etc...) but it only cost £15:99

Deamon - Normal ISP, Normal Dialup, Normal E-Mail client but £19.99 (24/7) + Surftime subscription.

Or use an ISP like U-Net but then you have to pay per min :(

O

old.dittytwo

ADSL

If you can have adsl you should get it
from Pipex
www.pipex.com i think not totally sure. (look for there extreme/solo stuff (that is there adsl stuff))

and ti is only £20.34 per month for an always on connection and you only have to have one phone line which you can make telephone calls ona t the same time....

i have had no problems with it

S

SFXman

ADSL is the most reliable broadband for sure... great for games. Cable on the other hand may be less stable occasionally... I took the risk of less stability by buying cable which is much cheaper than ADSL but to my luck it has been great! Funny thing is that a 256k ADSL (up&downstream) pulls a max of around 30kb/s... my cable cost less and pulls a max of 100kb/s :D

I

inqy

I've played daoc on a 28.8k conn. Occassional lag and the 2hour disconnect was a pain but apart from that it was just as playable as my home cable modem.

O

old.TeaSpoon

Cable Surf Unlimited

From the nice people at Telewest

£10 a month, free dialup whenever, no 2 hour cut offs....no cutt offs at all!

S

SFXman

Like jizzy already pointed out, almost proving what my cousin tested, even a 28.8k modem is enough...
TeaSpoon, what kind of downloads you get?

PS: I find this cut-off stuff really strange, nothing like that in Finland at least.

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by Elvewen

AOL - But you have to use their pants dialup, cant share the connection between two machines on a network and can no longer user extermal e-mail clients (Outlook etc...) but it only cost £15:99

Deamon - Normal ISP, Normal Dialup, Normal E-Mail client but £19.99 (24/7) + Surftime subscription.

Or use an ISP like U-Net but then you have to pay per min :(

I was able to connect multiple machines with AOL... can't remember if I used ICS, or my little linux NAT. Probably the latter :)

S

SFXman

I don't why you couldn't share a connection, because if for example with a cable modem you use a hub and the two computers have the same IP.

O

old.Brutallus

perfect!

I use 56k modem & have PERFECT connection to DAoC, EQ & AO.
56k is absolutely enough - the question is how good is the connection from your ISP to server ("international part" especially - if there is one).
Met some people having constant line 128k or more, who were thinking I am 2Mbit cause they were so slow zonning... !

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom