Music Anyone insanely good with the guitar?

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Need help with some serious guitar playing. Been practicing alot these days with some fast shredding and arpeggio pieces, but im just too slow when it comes to moving sideways (from string to string) aká arpeggios. If anyone here could give me some advice on how to train my speed and coordination properly?

Laddey

FH is my second home
Im not 100% sure but i think aoami is fairly good with a geetar!

Helme

Resident Freddy
Not sure if he's still at these forums but Svartmetall works as a guitar teacher iirc.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
I guess your playing with a metronome already? If not its just essential for that kind of stuff.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
I guess your playing with a metronome already? If not its just essential for that kind of stuff.

Googled it, and no im not using such a thing. But i did when i played paino. Where do you recon it sells? Have any special recomendations?

edit: Googled another time, and picked up some tactic where you tilt the pic a certain way and some other techniques, and it helped immensly. *casting "Greater rep over time" on Pikeh*

Ormorof

FH is my second home
sorry to hijack but seeing as theres a few decent guitaros here, as a compelete begininner any tips on what to practice to make switching between chords quicker (going very slowly atm :p )

edit: as in im doing basic rhytms and basic chords, and atm i can barely switch from A to D without mucking it up!

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Googled it, and no im not using such a thing. But i did when i played paino. Where do you recon it sells? Have any special recomendations?

edit: Googled another time, and picked up some tactic where you tilt the pic a certain way and some other techniques, and it helped immensly. *casting "Greater rep over time" on Pikeh*

You can probably even find online metronomes somewhere (http://www.metronomeonline.com/), but any music shop will sell them for around 30 Euros I reckon. (£20~)

With fast stuff its better to start off real slow. It might not sound impressive at first, but once you have the fingering down, and the pace of the music, you can start speeding up :)

To Orm;

When you look at the diagram of chords, you need to work out what finger will go where.

If you play the A chord with just one finger covering the three strings, to move to D you just need to slide that finger down one string, and place your middle finger on the B string, 3rd fret, for example.

Having a plan on how you are going to finger the chords before you play them, will help you not choke when it comes to changing quickly, mid song.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Making great progress even on this short time. Now i just need to grind some...

Oh, and that advice you mentioned, to start playing slow.. it works for almost any style you play, great advice for everyone with a guitar.

Azurus

Can't get enough of FH
Shredding makes my ears bleed, the fastest stuff i play is probably some of the Stevie Ray Vaughn tunes, much faster than that and it just becomes noise to me. :(

Oh and Orm there really is no great trick to it, you just have to keep on practicing those chord changes and it will come.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Im shredding in reasonable speed on my 10 y/o acoustic guitar (proper one at home). It sounds... horrible. But it has nylon strings, and many classical pieces plus lots of bending and such sounds wonderful. <3333333 nylon! But, having to press the strings much much harder than on my electric guitar, it fcks up my feel when i switch guitars.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Im shredding in reasonable speed on my 10 y/o acoustic guitar (proper one at home). It sounds... horrible. But it has nylon strings, and many classical pieces plus lots of bending and such sounds wonderful. <3333333 nylon! But, having to press the strings much much harder than on my electric guitar, it fcks up my feel when i switch guitars.

Edit: Here is what i ment by shredding (starts around 1:45) Have to have insane precision to pull it off nice, part is pretty straight forward but after a few seconds in the solo it gets insane!

YouTube - Versailles--To The Chaos Inside

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
The two things I would like most in the world is to be either a professional footballer or a decent guitarist. Sadly my football days are over because of my health but I was a decent right back in my and could probably have made semi-professional level if I had really pushed myself but the alure of beers and birds was too much. As for playing guitar, I tried and I failed a number of times, I just don't have any ability and it pains me to say it. Wish I could play like this...

YouTube - Nightrain solo (buckethead era version)

Buckheads version is better though :p

YouTube - Buckethead - Nightrain solo

Lethul

FH is my second home
I only manage medium in GH, I'll throw you a PM when i reach expert!

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Kirk Hammett is pretty solid with his solos. Nails it perfectly on every live performance. Anyone seen him (Metallica) live? Might check them out in march in Sweden if i can be arsed :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Chodax, you told me you get turned on by this

YouTube - Euroboy!

Nope, I actually watched a few of thier vids and whilst he is a decent player no doubt about that he is hardly in the same league as the great vituoso players when it comes to technical ability. I do like some of the stuff I saw but I would prefer to listen to Nuno Bettencourt any day of the week. As they say, opinions are like arseholes and everyone has one I guess. ;)

Marc

FH is my second home
Give me a guitar player with charisma any day of the week.

Euroboy owns the stage

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Give me a guitar player with charisma any day of the week.

Euroboy owns the stage

You can have all the charisma in the world but it means very little if don't have the tools to go with it. Euroboy has skill but is just isn't that great a player.

Marc

FH is my second home
You can have all the charisma in the world but it means very little if don't have the tools to go with it. Euroboy has skill but is just isn't that great a player.

Why? Because their songs dont feel the need to have loads of fast picking and shredding?

At their shows he will quite often show off his technique during interludes.

Dave Grohl rates him as quite possibly the most talented guitarist around at the moment

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom