Anyone in eq2 and wow beta?

Fink

One of Freddy's beloved
I know one is under NDA but jesus I wish I knew which one to put my eggs in....

Im bored out of my skull here waiting for release :(

Back to internet poker i suppose.

Abel

Fledgling Freddie
I'm not in either, but heared quite a bit from people in both beta's and it looks like EQ2 will be easely the best PvE game, which is not surprising considering SOE has deep pockets, an experienced dev team and concentrating it all entirely on PvE.

WoW is more like a PvE/PvP hybrid, however it remains to be seen if the PvP aspect will hold up, it has been added late in the beta and won't have seen that much testing. Ppl often compare WoW with a succesfull hybrid like DAoC, but often hybrid mmo's have fallen flat in the PvP department (SWG, AO, ...).

That being said, how is PvP in WoW ? Not after the first few times (those are always fun), but more on the long term.

Tinu

Fledgling Freddie
Very hard to speculate in since it hasn´t been fully implemented.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Abel said:
That being said, how is PvP in WoW ? Not after the first few times (those are always fun), but more on the long term.
Hard to say so far.

Folks here are basing opinions on the 1 week of Euro-beta so far, or the 1 week stress test - cant get any sort of long term opinions from that.

Come back and ask that in a month or so, when people have a little more experience of it, even then its almost impossible to know how things will be a few months after release.

So far WoW is far more fun than I was expecting - but Ive not had a chance to try PvP at all. Thatll change given a little time and some more levels I hope :)

Cyradix

FH is my second home
I was hoping for WoW beta, but I got picked for EQ2 :(

Fink

One of Freddy's beloved
Ill swap you if I get in wow matey

Khale

Fledgling Freddie
I'm not allowed to tell but it ain't hard to figure it out. EverQuest 1 was a PvE based MMORPG and is totally different then the new mmorpgs. I think it's more of a question what do you like more? Fast paced action, groovy graphics and a company that does quite some work for it's members or a game lead by a company that even closes down a server if someone generated somehow extra cash, not fast paced game and have to figure out what to make of PvP (cause they said it won't be in at release). My money is on WoW (Blizzard) not just because it's Blizzard but because I've played em both and I see only one true winner. So sorry if I offended the NDA in a very small way but the man wants an opinion of someone who tried both and I intend not to lie to a customer/player.

Fink

One of Freddy's beloved
Nice one - cheers for the opinion Khale.

Khale

Fledgling Freddie
The people who are really gonna play EverQuest 2 are the old EverQuest 1 players. Cause for them the game has a background already (in EverQuest 2 the old world has been kinda overflooded and trashed apart). Maybe they are more into the feel of the game and it's mechanics. But as a MMORPG you need to attract all kind of players, especially new ones cause they tend to stick around long when they really get hooked. I heared Blizzard has been doing some funky inviting lately. Some people seem to get an extra invite key to invite a friend to play WoW too. But Open Beta shouldn't be far away (US Open Beta) so you don't have to wait long.

Abel

Fledgling Freddie
Gotta disagree with Khale here :p

The people who are really gonna play EverQuest 2 are the old EverQuest 1 players.

This happens to be a very big group, I noticed most Euro players got an unclear picture about it because EQs succes in Europe has always been somewhat limited and outgunned by DAoCs succes. In North America however EQ is much bigger then DAoC, something which is reinforced on these forums which are largely based on DAoC (EQ has about 100,000 players on it's Euro servers, but you never see them on FW ...).

EQ is still *the* standard all the other fantasy MMO's are imitating, DAoC and even WoW are still largely copying EQs system, the only important addition being factional PvP.

Also remember EQs nickname : EverCrack - if there is one game on the market that can hook it's players and keep them from years it's EQ, the game is already on it's 8 (eight !!!) expansion pack ...

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Installed EverQuest a few weeks back. (the free trial version)

I couldn't help laughing, the graphics are Wolfenstein3d quality near enough. (granted, I didn't give it many minutes; but they only got one chance to make a good first impression)

EQ1 free trial really is bad publicity for EQ2, in my opinion; atleast for "new blood" - they should be focusing on getting an open beta out asap to attract more players :)

Ash'

Fledgling Freddie
I got into both, eq2 1st then a month later wow..... put it this way id forgotten I had eq2 installed..

Im loving me undead warlock :clap:

Draylor

Part of the furniture
My only experience of EQ is via a similar trial a year or so back, so I may be very wrong here, but .......

Whisperess said:
I couldn't help laughing, the graphics are Wolfenstein3d quality near enough.
Arent those trials the 'original' EQ + the first couple of expansions only? So your not getting the benefit of graphical upgrades added in more recent expansions? Graphically its not the best regardless, but I didnt think it was THAT bad .....

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Draylor said:
My only experience of EQ is via a similar trial a year or so back, so I may be very wrong here, but .......

Arent those trials the 'original' EQ + the first couple of expansions only? So your not getting the benefit of graphical upgrades added in more recent expansions? Graphically its not the best regardless, but I didnt think it was THAT bad .....
Aye, it's the original EQ + first couple expansions, well - you can't create those chars "since you don't have this expansion", etc.

Download the trial and try it out ;)

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Tried it once: never again :p 30mins was enough to waste on it

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
I must admit I am quite enjoying original evercrack, It makes a change from SWG and DAoC and even to an extent UO (which I have not played for several years :) ). I like PVE, I gave up on DAoC because I fancied SWG, I gave up on SWG because it became a bit boring, did not have the hook of DAoC, EQlive is fun, it has drawbacks but on the whole I enjoy it. It also does not have the Hook that DAoC had for me when I first played but DAoC's hook has never been strong enough to pull me back either. I like what I am hearing about EQ2, I am not so keen on the WoW stuff and I don't know why.
I also do not know why I am rambling in this thread in this forum :) well good luck all in whatever you decide to play.

Have Fun

Later

Cigies

Fledgling Freddie
I have too say, I am never going back too Daoc, the first time I logged onto the WoW beta I knew that.

Blizzard have created a world full of life and adventure, the game is great fun too play, and I have not done a single bit of XP grinding so far from level 1 to level 34.

Really, WoW sets a new standard, the world is really lush, and in some ways breathtaking. Even though some people say it is 'Cartoon like', I dare you too play the game and not become totally immersed in the game world, and lets face it, the graphics on EQ2 is like Barbie Online, and every screenshot I have seen as the lighting totally out of place.

Quite frankly, WoW is stunning, and Doac is dead :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom