Anyone had laser eye surgery ?

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
a colleague has had it done and recommends it very highly. her eyesight is better than mine now, making me think i should get mine tested lol.

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
Something like this is really tempting, as my eyes seem to be getting worse. I don't use glasses, for anything else than driving. And i'm hopeless with contacts. I'd love to get my old eyesight back.
But i get punched in the eye... alot :p, so i don't think it's really an option at this time.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
cHodAX, you shouldn't laugh at things when:

You finally had that 'I LOVE TEH COCK' tattoo removed then bud? :D ;) :p

You left yourself wide open for that and I couldn't resist, sorry. ;)

But, about laser eye surgery, i'm still waiting for laser eyes to become available.

Other then that, heard good things, but there's always the if. But usually the "if" is just a cop-out.

Varna

Fledgling Freddie
Honestly not great but not bad either, I was initially very worried as my right eye was healing alot slower than the left. The 7 day and 21 day checkups didn't make me feel much better as it felt like they were fobbing me off by saying 'don't worry it can take weeks or even months before you get the final effect'. For a few weeks I thought it was bullshit and was ready to demand a retreatment but after about 6 weeks my vision felt great, the dryness in the eyes cleared up and the light halos at night vanished.

All in all it wasn't a bad service, I would have expected better customer service and support for the price though. That said I could have paid an extra £1000 to have the exact same treatment done at the Royal Eye Hospital in Manchester and been treated shabbily like an NHS patient and been stuck in a shitty waiting from with the only refreshment being a vile tasting 10p of tea from a machine. At least the place I went to had nice coffee and biscuits, oh and big leather sofa with a TV to watch. The staff weren't the best though, I must admit I did expect to be very well treated considering the cost and the fact that I paid £2600 for a 10 minute operation.

Personally, since the op I went back once I think a week or so later to get more eye drops, since then I've not gone back once. I know it's a two way thing, but they have never called me to check how i'm going nor to say I havent been in for a checkup - Aftercare for me wasnt very good, for the 2600 I spent I did feel asthough I was just a cash cow to pay off their debts for the expensive equipment 'cos I could clearly see on sqeudules etc they ferry atleast 20 people a day, spose I should get a check-up anyway although I've had no problems - they do have nice coffee machines. Spose, I got what I wanted which was amazing vision, should probably call them though! :p

Laddey

FH is my second home
Not enough time to read the thread so sorry if its already posted!

Does it hurt, even in the slightest? After? During?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!

Going by what some people have said, the actual procedure is OK, can be some discomfort in the weeks after the procedure. Lots of eye drops, patches, etc

Laddey

FH is my second home
Going by what some people have said, the actual procedure is OK, can be some discomfort in the weeks after the procedure. Lots of eye drops, patches, etc

One thing i couldn't handle is pain in my eyes or bollox! Do you think it's worth it? I mean i'm only 18 (19 in a week!!!) but it would be nice for my dad.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Yeah, I think its worth it...but gonna wait 5 years or so before I have it. Laser eye surgery still in its relatively early days.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter

For me no not at all, it was uncomfortable and nothing more. Some people do have sore eyes for a few days after but paracetamol takes care of that along with the eye drops which stop any inflammation.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Yeah, I think its worth it...but gonna wait 5 years or so before I have it. Laser eye surgery still in its relatively early days.

No bud it isn't, over 20 million people worldwide have had it done in the last 15 years. Since the introduction of wavefront scanning it has become much safer and more accurate, the statistics say a 98% success rate and I can imagine that being very close to the truth.

Laddey

FH is my second home
For me no not at all, it was uncomfortable and nothing more. Some people do have sore eyes for a few days after but paracetamol takes care of that along with the eye drops which stop any inflammation.

Is it like £400 an eye?

rynnor

Rockhound
Heres the risks:

If you have Laser surgery you can never fly a plane at night - the damage to night vision makes it too dangerous whereas you can with glasses or contact lenses.

LASER EYE SURGERY - Possible complications

I personally wont do it because I dont think the risks are worth it for a temporary benefit and theres no guarantee you wont need glasses after surgery.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Is it like £400 an eye?

The £400 an eye places are a big risk, it can work but they use lasers that are 10 years old and not very accurate. I have heard some horror stories about those places but I shall say nothing more as I don't want to put anyone off having surgery that I condsider to be the best money I ever spent.

Pay the extra and go somewhere decent, it isn't cheap but you will need your eyes till the day you die and there are not something you should take a risk with. Also if they say your cornea's are a bit on the thin side then you should walk away, the thinner your cornea the bigger the risk of something going wrong and the less likely you will be of getting great results.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Heres the risks:

If you have Laser surgery you can never fly a plane at night - the damage to night vision makes it too dangerous whereas you can with glasses or contact lenses.

LASER EYE SURGERY - Possible complications

I personally wont do it because I dont think the risks are worth it for a temporary benefit and theres no guarantee you wont need glasses after surgery.

Wavefront scanning eliminated the abberations that cause poor night vision, the older and cheaper laser eye surgery can indeed leave you with halos around lights at night though.

As for no guarantees, at any decent place you are entitled to re-treatments within 12 months to achieve reasonable vision as long as your corneas are thick enough to be treated more than once. That was wrote into my contract and is rapidly becoming standard in the industry.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Wavefront scanning eliminated the abberations that cause poor night vision, the older and cheaper laser eye surgery can indeed leave you with halos around lights at night though.

As for no guarantees, at any decent place you are entitled to re-treatments within 12 months to achieve reasonable vision as long as your corneas are thick enough to be treated more than once. That was wrote into my contract and is rapidly becoming standard in the industry.
Out of curiosity how bad was your sight before you got it done (as i am 4.0 in each eye)?

GReaper

Part of the furniture

The early days for laser eye surgery have gone already.

My mum had this done years ago (10 or more, can't really remember), they only had the one basic option, none of the wavefront stuff. They didn't even cut open a flap in your eye to use the laser, they just burned the outer edge of the eye. Far more painful than the operations they perform today.

I still need to consider it myself as I'm now at a suitable age for it, I said to myself that I'd book an appointment for a consultation after Christmas, but I haven't done it quite yet! :p

Laddey

FH is my second home
The £400 an eye places are a big risk, it can work but they use lasers that are 10 years old and not very accurate. I have heard some horror stories about those places but I shall say nothing more as I don't want to put anyone off having surgery that I condsider to be the best money I ever spent.

Pay the extra and go somewhere decent, it isn't cheap but you will need your eyes till the day you die and there are not something you should take a risk with. Also if they say your cornea's are a bit on the thin side then you should walk away, the thinner your cornea the bigger the risk of something going wrong and the less likely you will be of getting great results.

PM the stories to me then!

rynnor

Rockhound

"Although wavefront-guided treatments attempt to eliminate higher order aberrations, results from the clinical studies have shown that the average aberrations still increase, but less than they do after conventional LASIK."

LASER EYE SURGERY - How does wavefront LASIK compare to conventional LASIK?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Out of curiosity how bad was your sight before you got it done (as i am 4.0 in each eye)?

Not sure bud, it wasn't terrible but it was enough that I needed glasses on all the time after 5 years because it had degraded that much. I will try find an old prescription at some point but it was nowhere near as bad as yours iirc.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Sorry for the bumping of an old thread.

Finally got around to getting a consultation and went yesterday. I looked a bit evil afterwards as they put in drops to dilate the pupils so they could scan my eyes fully, going outside with fully dilated pupils in daylight!

After many months of putting it off, I decided to book a date for the surgery itself at the end of July.

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
Well then, good luck, do what the doctor tells you.
And if the nurse is pretty, flirt with her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom