Anyone got numbers on damage difference between Slam and Brutalize?

I

ilum

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how Brutalize hits compared to Slam. Both delve as medium damage afaik, but being at a higher spec it should do more damage (Paralyze for example is lvl 23, delves at high damage, but hits much weaker than slam).

Also, is the to-hit rate on shield attacks based on main weaponskill or a special shield weapon skill that doesnt show in character screen?

I suppose the 8 more spec into shield wouldnt really make much difference, but would be nice to know how much damage they did compared to each other.

S

svartmetall

Well, I respecced my formerly 50/42/39 Warrior to 50/50/28 and have not regretted it so far; Brutalise seems to do at least as much dmg as Slam, and for about half the End cost (I think). OK, it needs a Block to trigger, but hey, with 50 Shield you block like a bastard anyway.

Go 50/50/28 with confidence, dude, I recommend it.

O

old.Niljindil

1. As you spec higher, slam will do more damage in addition to you gaining lize in the first place, but damage should be about the same(but quite the difference in endurance ;) ).

2. Special shield weaponskill based entirely on dex and shieldspec.

3. Compared to each other prolly just as much, but as ive never played a tank with lize myself i cant tell for sure, but it shouldnt really be that much of a difference other than the indirect spec increase.

I

ilum

Ok, that's nice. If I could now get some helpful fellows to test the following:

Difference on damage slam/brutalize on a 50 specced shield.

Difference on damage on brutalize (with a 50 shield spec) and slam (with a 42 shield spec), as well as slam vs slam with different specs :)

O

old.Krogar_Thane

those differences are minimal

its just number crunching dood, those kind of mini percentages wont help u win the day.

here is the real deal (i play 50 kobold warrior on camlann-specced 50/50/28)
this is the pertinant info that should make u decide to spec 50 shield all the way baby

1. brutalize is 10 sec stun (slam is 9 sec) , yep 1 whole second woot! but its endu is way cheaper
2. buy a small shield for pvp, your end cost will be dropped 50%+ for slam (thats if you are not part of a decent pvp grp setup that has endu buff shaman, in which case, slam till the cows come home)
3. i block god and his cousin with 50(+11+rr+mob1 or 2) shield spec, i can attest to the fact of holding 2 TG mobs while the raid kills the third, with minimal hits and heals, and using engage, i can hold 1 of the twin linked councillors and block 9 out of 10 hits on a level 80ish mob.
4. i STILL parry like crazy with 24+11+rr, (thats if they ever get past my shield which is rare)
5. i am virtually always, and i mean always the last member of a group to go down, the sound of those shield blocks firing since the block parry fix is like a breath of fresh air.

spec 50 shield mate, why, ill tell you

Q. a warrior is what?
A. a shield tank

job done, enjoy :clap:

I

ilum

Well, thanks for the input, but it would be better if you just answered the question really...I know about block rates etc, I want to know how feasible it is to use Brutalize as an offensive attack with my Paladin - i.e. how much dmg it does once I get it off. And since he's stunned, I can chain 3 brutalizes of one block.

R

Roalith

39/50/42 spec here (Yes, I'm just a freak), and I use brutilise all the time - usually backed up with amythst slash.

Don't chain brutilise though, use riposte instead (slash block reactive style) - riposte does as much damage if not more than back slash, uses less endurance, and has a defense bonus to boot.

As for damage differential, using a proper large shield I have noticed brutilise landing for 50-100 damage more - not a great deal, but worth it considering the lesser end cost and the longer stun.

S

smincy

so if im reading this right....

if you use brutalise off a block and stun the opponent, you can keep using block based (reactive) styles ?

if so, if i block somebody and use slam straight away, can i still keep using reposite ?

-edit also on a side note, if you have small shield you can only block one opponent thats on you. medium is 2 and large is 3, its somethinbg else to consider.

R

Roalith

Originally posted by smincy
so if im reading this right....

if you use brutalise off a block and stun the opponent, you can keep using block based (reactive) styles ?

if so, if i block somebody and use slam straight away, can i still keep using reposite ?

-edit also on a side note, if you have small shield you can only block one opponent thats on you. medium is 2 and large is 3, its somethinbg else to consider.

The Caer Sidi Great Cobalt Doomwarder actually slams like a small shield, but blocks 3 opponents :p

But in terms of block reactive styles after a stun, spot on. When an opponent is stunned, in terms of melee you are able to use conditional styles relating to their last action on you.

For example, a hybrid polearmsman gets styled on and immediately slams his opponent. He can then use defender's rage and defender's revenge if the rage lands.

D

decline

4. i STILL parry like crazy with 24+11+rr, (thats if they ever get past my shield which is rare)

parry is checked BEFORE shield. ;p

R

Roalith

Trying to get block reactive styles off with 72 total parry is a bitch :p

O

old.Krogar_Thane

the whole thread is a moot point after the questioner put the words

"offensive" and "paladin" in the same sentence
:D

A

Arnor

Originally posted by ilum
I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how Brutalize hits compared to Slam. Both delve as medium damage afaik, but being at a higher spec it should do more damage (Paralyze for example is lvl 23, delves at high damage, but hits much weaker than slam).

Also, is the to-hit rate on shield attacks based on main weaponskill or a special shield weapon skill that doesnt show in character screen?

I suppose the 8 more spec into shield wouldnt really make much difference, but would be nice to know how much damage they did compared to each other.

who the hell gives a shit, you spec 50 shield to block like a brick wall, and to get a nice 12sec stun off of block last I checked anywhoo.

R

Roalith

Re: Re: Anyone got numbers on damage difference between Slam and Brutalize?

Originally posted by Arnor
who the hell gives a shit, you spec 50 shield to block like a brick wall, and to get a nice 12sec stun off of block last I checked anywhoo.

10 second stun, and although yes we block like a brick wall it's nice to do some damage once in a while :p

O

old.windforce

damage on brutalize is same as slam

(cap damage tested on grey)

50 shield spec gives higher damage then then 42 spec (number of points put into shield)

H

Harm

Damage is just about the same, except for the 8 extra spec points that will enhance it just alittle. Stun is 10 sec, compared to 9 sec off slam.

Shield weaponskill (damage/chancetohit) is based purely of shield spec and dexterity. By having more shield and/or more dex you will hit more easily and deal more damage.

I've respecced away from brutalise and I don't regret it for a split second. At the moment i prefer using block chain styles with medium to hit bonus and 7 second stun. I don't really notice any difference in damage/tohit and chance to block.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom