Anyone from/visited Scotland?

N

nyro21

Hey Everyone,

My main reason behind this post is that myself and Deven will be heading to Scotland in March sometime for our wedding/honeymoon (Woohoo!). The duration of our stay will be around 2 weeks.

I do not know much about the country but I'm still researching and would like to hear about anyone who lives or has travelled there.

What towns are good to visit for a young couple? Are there any must see places (historical Castles/Keeps/Stones or just fun spots)?

Any great Hotels? If so, Where?
Any great restaurants to visit?
Are there any places to avoid?

So far I would like to see Aberdeen,Inverness,Fort William.... and possibly Glasgow.

How is the public transportation there or is a rent-a-car a must?

Please feel free to add anything else which you may think is important.

Any advise/info on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to email me at knperry@cfl.rr.com

Thanks!

P.S Deven and I are from the Kay/Hib server if you are ever on please look us up

Pengueen Itsgoodabedakeen - 43.5 Lurikeen Enchanter
Thornberry ThickBriar - 16th Sylvan ValeWalker
Nyroh - 24th Elven NightShade
Deven's Love-slave...(Active!)
Deemed a Flirtasaurus Rex.....(Active!)

O

old.tRoG

Me! Me! I live in Scotland!

I'm from the Western Isles - It's the best place in the world when there's good weather (eg. One month a year), but the rest of the time it rains. Alot.

PM me for any specific details.

And, you'll want to see Edinburgh castle, of course :)

O

old.tRoG

Oh, and, avoid Dundee.

It smells.

[EDIT: The public transport is alright, if you like walking :)]

T

Tenko

My wifes from Edinburgh and I've been there alot.

Dont know much about the highlands, but Edinburgh is a must for all tourists, a beautiful city.

Like Trog says, Edinburgh castle is quite commanding as it is in the heart of the city :D

1908-edinburgh-castle.jpg

O

old.job

It's beautiful, nightlife in Edinburgh is fantastic as well, bars stay open much later than England.
Glasgow has a rough reputation, (i.e. good chance of being mugged), but has improved a lot recently. 1 visit to the rough end of Glasgow and you'll understand why the Romans built a wall to keep 'em out.
In fact the only downside to Scotland is the natives :cool:

>patiently awaits flame, noting that I'm from Liverpool.<

O

old.tRoG

Basicly, go to Edinburgh. There's whole plethora of things to see and do.

Inverness is your quite wee town, except a bit bigger.
Aberdeen is all grey and wet and gloomy, but is alright.
Glasgow used to be pretty 'ard, with heaps of drugs going on and stuff, but it's getting better, so is worth a visit.
Dundee smells. Don't touch it.

And, if you can, go to the Western Isles (Check the weather beforehand to see if it's going to be nice, though).

There are miles of golden sandy beaches, which noone is ever on.

P

Pixie.Pebr

Go to Orkney and sip Highland Park for two weeks.
Best honeymoon you can have :D

S

Sigurd

Or just take a romantic trip to Humberton Keep.

O

old.Xarr

i've been to edinburgh a few years back. beautiful place :)

D

-dewey-

<chants> Gretna Green! Gretna Green! </chants>

ohhh and make sure you buy the Sunday Post, Oor Wullie and The Broons rock!

S

Slinker

Edingburgh definitely , been a couple of times and I would go back at the drop of a hat . Go to Mary Kings Tavern for a quiet drink , then a ghost walk afterward :p

N

Nightchill

i travelled scotland for a while, really liked dumfries :p does that make me a bad man?

O

old.0xygen

visited a few times basically go to Edinburgh especially during the fringe :D

Great place and my Uncle in the head of fire department from Edinburgh down to just across the boarder.

Which is cool

F

Flimgoblin

yeah Edinburgh's probably your safest bet :)

although if you want to drive up north Loch ness is quite nice (lots of castles around there)

Lots to do in edinburgh... there's the castle obviously, crown jewels etc in there. Holyrood Palace (assuming the Queen ain't in residence), climb arthur's seat and get nice views.

If you fancy a drive you can go east to North Berwick and visit Tantallon castle (now that's a real castle - I'd not like to try siegeing that with less than 10fg ;) Curtain wall on one side, sheer cliff on the other three - and it's a maze... loads of little corridors and rooms)

Lots of nice pubs in edinburgh... I'd recommend the Holyrood Tavern but I doubt you'd like it ;) (it's a dingy old pub filled with goths/rockers and locals... great place but not to everyone's taste)

Gretna Green's the traditional place to get married. (due to the age of consent being different up here... not sure if it's still the same but in england you needed the parents to agree if you were under 18, whereas scotland it's your own choice after 16... might have the ages wrong etc.)

check out the tourist board sites as well :)

S

Sarum TheBlack

Originally posted by the_chimera
Or just take a romantic trip to Humberton Keep.

Humberton is actually in Yorkshire (a little way off the A1(M) near Ripon and Knaresborough)

S

Sigurd

Well you can't expect the game to be accurate, apparantly it now takes 10 minutes to ride from cornwall to wales :p

There are a few weird name-uses though... Tir na Nog was actually a mystical island, not a city, in Celtic legend... yet in the game it appears to be under a mountain and.. not.. at the same time :rolleyes:

N

nyro21

Wow great responses so far!

Thank you all for posting your ideas/experiences.

Current news is we have moved our trip to April (8th to 22nd I believe)

We have set up with the registrar to be married in Gretna Green.

I would like to hear about the night-life though, I'm only 23 (well 24 this friday) and my fiance and I love going to clubs/social events etc. We want to take in the sights but we also want to do some partying! Any specific strips or clubs that are a must see?

Anything going special going on in April?

Please feel free to drop me an e-mail as well ... knperr@cfl.rr.com

I'm (Nyro21) also on the IGN.VN Boards (Camelot/US Servers/Kay) is normally where I haunt.

Thanks again everyone and keep up posts!

O

old.tRoG

Edinburgh = Pubs Galore

Originally posted by nyro21
strips

I wouldn't know about things like that...

*devious grin*

F

Flimgoblin

I believe by strips they mean long streets with shops pubs etc...
but they could mean strip-bars I suppose :) Edinburgh's got its fair share of those too... if that's what yer after.

W

Will

Edinburgh clubs/pubs...*ponders*

There is something to cater for pretty much any taste, from folkie pubs right around to strip bars (not the best choice for a honeymoon;)).

If you tell me what sort of music you are into, I'll give you some sample clubs and/or gigs you could go to.

S

Spudgie

If Scotland ever encounters an aluminium shortage - You only need to sweep the streets of Glasgow and pick up all the empty Tennants cans :moon:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom