Anyone ever taken a gap year abroad?

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Greetings peons.

I have finished 6th form, never to return! I've got no plans for next year because I am a huge failure so I want to go and spend some time abroad, a sort of gap year!

I'm interested in Australia and Hong Kong/Japan sort of really. Has anyone ever done something similar? It is a bit of a pipe dream at the moment but I really want to go through with it. I have nothing to stay for here and I think time spent abroad could be good for me in maybe finding myself and some purpose in my life, because at the moment I have ZERO idea of what I want to become, or take an interest in. Also it'd help me greatly with socializing and such. I've got about £2000 at the moment, which should pay for a flight, and accomodation I hope. I'd probably end up working part time out there.

I thank you!

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Would you want to return to uni after a gap year?

Thats the main reason I didn't go on one, I *knew* I wouldn't want to come back to the slag-heap of a country.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
2 grand wont get you far. Find out where you want to go, buy a Lonely Planet guide for that place, and plan it well.

I spent 6 grand over 6 months including flights. I wasn't working as well though.

Get a job and save a lot if your really going to do it, remember that this may be your one chance to really see the world so get as much out of it as possible (this means having lots of cash).

Australia and young travellers = one big 18/30 style holiday. Avoid Oz Experience if thats not your thing. As for Hong Kong or Japan, are you prepared to learn the lingo before going?

You want to work, but do you know what type of work is available, what it is likely to pay and what kind of work permits you'll need?

edit / I thought I'd planned fairly well, but trust me, there is nothing worse than having regrets at missing things you'll probably never get to do again. So start researching hardcore!

Milkshake

Loyal Freddie
As far as I can tell, from all my friends who have either done a gap year, not done a gap year etc...

You should only do a gap year unless you have a plan i.e. off to do something in Kenya like build schools or something

Otherwise you just lie around like a dosser, and never do well in Uni in the next year (if you actually get your lazy ass round to applying)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Everyone that spends a gap year abroad becomes a goddam fucking filthy hippy. Don't do it.

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Brynn said:
Thats the main reason I didn't go on one, I *knew* I wouldn't want to come back to the slag-heap of a country.

Actually my family are just going through the paperwork and stuff to emigrate to Australia permanently. They 100% want to do it, and have done all the necessary arrangement so its just a matter of waiting to see if we are accepted now. Chances are I'd end up staying over there because they want to be over there within a year or so. Otherwise I might just come back for a couple of months and then fly back over with them.

The main reason behind the trip is just to relax, and meet new people. Here I don't have many friends left. I don't enjoy my part time job and I've reached the end of 6th form, falling below the requirement to enter most universities. I'm happy my family want to emigrate as it could be a fresh start for me, around new faces.

I've been having a look at alot of websites for places of education in Sydney and alot of them do courses that range over 6 weeks (sometimes more, sometimes less) in specific courses. They have no entry requirement, and cost like £150 for the entire course. I think this sounds excellent because it gives you a purpose of being there, rather than as you say sitting around all day ;) And also you're learning some skills whilst away. Something like this for example.

I want to try and sort my plans out as soon as possible so that I can spend the next 6 weeks or whatever working overtime to get more money. :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Mobius, trust me, once you've been to Oz you will *not* want to go back to england matey :)

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Once youve left England you wont want to go back there :m00:

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
come to Qatar. You'll want to go back to England

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
TdC said:
Mobius, trust me, once you've been to Oz you will *not* want to go back to england matey :)

That depends if you enjoy spedning time with criminals or not.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
or having sex with just about anyone. or not :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom