Anyone ever made a hunter thats pure spear? :p

I

Irgil

hmm if im not mistaken Tesla is a pure spear hunter, not sure though

O

old.Jeriraa

For what purpose?

Most spears are slash = bad against chain or plate. You can't go for tanks. (Dunno if there are any high end thrust spears.)

The only classes you can really hurt are cloth or leather wearers. A Razor Edge (med. duration stun), Odin's Wraith combo followed by a Lancer, Lancing Thrust combo would kill every Infiltrator. The only problem is to get close enough. With stealth getting taken away by 'see hidden' you can't hunt Infiltrators anymore. Beside this you would need like 50 in stealth to have have a chance to get close enough to him.

As a supporter in a group (thats what we are supposed to be now) a 50 spear specc = massive damage and the ability to interrupt casters with your bow seems ok though. But a tank would hit harder and could take more damage. Beside this you have to option to chose between thrust and slash damage with a bow. So a 50 bow specc makes more sense in my eyes.

D

DocWolfe

technically you dont get a choice... there are no arrows that have x-range do x-heavy dmg and have high acuracy and do thrust\crush dmg... so we have to use ffbroadhead.

T

Tesla Monkor

Yeah, I have 50 in spear (base), higher with items and RR.

Contrary to what Jerira claims above, there are high level thrust spears as well as slash spears. I carry one or two of each type, deciding which to use regarding the mob/enemy I fight. (I carry slash by default, in case I get pounced by an assassin.)

Think outside drops. Save up and get yourself a high quality crafted arcanium slash and thrust spear. :)

The one reason I sometimes use dropped spears is 'cause of the pretty proc effects. Exploding lurikeens is fun, with a GA Great Spear. =)

Added: Don't underestimate a Spear 50 hunter with a thrust spear. Get a decent set of buffs and you can take out Albion tanks in one-on-one. One thing -- your defense sucks. You can hand out massive damage, but can't take it. If the fight takes too long, you will loose.

D

DocWolfe

how are you specced then Tesla... 50 in spear takes a hell of alot of points in an archer template

O

old.Gromnir

You can easyly go for both spear and bow, its no biggy.

Hunter: Spear 50 - Com. Bow 50 - BC 14 - Stealth 25 - left 3

With this speccing you can get both high, but you have to laylow on buffs. . . but then again with the right items you can cape your dex and quick anyway (prince spear fx.)

Hunter: Spear 50 - com. Bow 27 - bc 10 - Stealth 50 - left 0

With this one you can get high spear and last critshot with bow and full stealth to get close to that, bloody backstabing albion. Again buff will be low.

Both of these would maybe not be the best speccing. But if you read this tread: http://forums.barrysworld.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29985 - you can read the words of one of the great rvr hunters on prydwen and how he is going by with his speccing.

T

Tesla Monkor

My base spec is:

Spear 50 (56)
Bow 50 (64)
Stealth 28 (42)
BC 6

The () values are my current values according to itembonusses and realmrank, using crafted weapons. (Spear is 61 when using a GA Spear, for example)

Edit: Typo

K

kr0n

Thats only viable spec with a buffbot ;/ lets not forget Tesla has one ;(

D

dunderklumpen

bleh... im making a hunter at the mo..

Any overall kickass sugestions here.. i want to go a different way.. maybe with high BC and Stealth or smthing

Just a question here... hunter gets the ability to run real fast.. i mean aint it possible to just outrun another stealther stabbing you or a enemie that noticed you... I mean in that case it really doesnt make sense to go real high in spear if not for mob killing..

I mean..

Good crit shot, and 2 more hits before they reach you... then most should be dead.. and if they get to close... run like a crazy.. turn around and give another shoot.. or use your half decent melee weapon to finish it off if its only a little..??

T

Tesla Monkor

Buffbot or other source doesn't really matter. The template was build around knowing Stealth would be worthless in 1.50 and getting buffs from friendly healers/shaman/buffbots. :)

I

ImLestat

That escape speed spell isn't that great tbh. In the words of a friend: "it breaks even if I step on a grasshopper" (Hi Jeri :) ). It is true though. If you are poisoned, it breaks. If the enemy attacks you, it breaks. If the enemy even casts a spell that is resisted on you, it breaks. It's only real use is if you got one or two shots off from a distance, then turn and run and fire it. If you know/believe you are/will be followed that is. It might also be possible sometimes to sprint away, just out of melee range, and then fire it, because it breaks if you are attacked.

Oh, and it's on a timer too, so you can't use it very often. Don't remember how long it is, but it's something like 5-10 mins. Can main hunters give me an exact number here?

O

old.Jeriraa

I wanna mention another point you should not forget. Low beastcraft means weak AF buff. And about capping dex... the hunter dex buff goes above the cap and you can get even a little more with a shammie con/dex buff.

B

Brevis

Well my hunter which is currently lvl 45 has this final template:
Bow 50
Spear 39
Stealth 39
BC 16

Bow is 50 because...well.... its a hunter :)
And i like to give people a scare with my spear, I was sitting in ygg stealthed and there was a yellow con infil that backstabbed me while sitting, hit me for some 3-400ish dam, which cut my hp in half. I wooped out my GA spear and started whacking the damn alb and i really cut him down, it was actually down to who would hit who first. But then i evaded once and he misses me once, I was so lucky as to not miss.
Stealth is 39 because i like to sneak around, this template was cooked up before I knew of the see hidden so it may be up for respec but i will have to see the effects when it happens.
BC at 16, gives me a nice speed spell, but like siad earlier, it breaks easy. I know this will be giving me a disadvantage in buff's but i normally go out in grp rvr anyway so. :)
And any buffs you get by shammy/healer is stacked upon your own buffs.......

O

old.Hellskor

As for 'No-high-thrust-spears'

Arcanium Battlespear : 16.5dps 5.3spd 35%Bonus Thrust Damage

Blood is running around with one of those toys, if you need to know how the dmg is, ask him ;)

B

Brevis

oh yeah, i forgot in my previous post, as far as i know, the spear from df merchants is thrust

T

Tesla Monkor

The spear sold in DF might not be thrust, but the ones dropped by the Princess and the Princes are (there's two different ones -- Princess drops one that gives you a +75 Dex/Qui buff when it procs and the Prince spear (the red one) procs a DoT).

The AF buff in beastcraft is nice for hunters < 49. At 50, wearing your Epic armour your AF is maxed and the buff is useless.

The Dex/Qui buff does not go over your cap. It does however provide a 'second tier' buff, meaning you can also add a normal dex-buff (from a shaman or a healer). This means you can add a max of 50+75=125 to your dex from buffs alone. (And 75 from items to a total of +200 to your dex). Now that we get Realm Abilities you can push it even higher, since Augment Dexterity is added to your base Dex value (The dex you have when you remove all items, armour and weapons). :)

Happy hunting!

S

Svartur

I have the following template:

Bow 39 (51)
Spear 39 (50 (44 with crafted spears))
BC 43 (45)
Stealth 30 (35-43 depending on items)

This specc can potentially max all of my skills if I play rvr 10 years or so ;) (50 in beastcraft dont matter though afaik). I have yet to determine if its a good specc or not though. Recently turned 50 and got my epic armour yesterday.

Time to get some new weapons and evaluate now. ;)

If I like Tesla had a bufbot the specc would look different though. Prob higher spear less beastcraft etc.

As for AF, with epic armour its capped without a single self buf i think?
Regarding spears it seems to me most high lvl spears are thrust not slash.

Users who are viewing this thread