Anyone ever built their own radio?

rynnor

Rockhound
I had one of those kits you used to be able to buy in tandy's as a kid - one of the things you could make with that was a crystal radio - it worked pretty well.

I tried to buy a similar kit for my kids but they only do piddly little ones nowadays with a few circuits to build.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I had one of those kits too. And a mini science lab in a box, managed to grow crystals of some sort and then set fire to my bedroom with meths. Ahh childhood.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Made loads about 40 years ago!
You could buy all the bits then in a shop like Tandys/Radio shack, you can even use a wire and apiece of coal for the diode.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I made a simple electronic radio to receive AM when I was a kid.
It might have something to do with my dad being a radio ham. I've had radios of some sort or another around me most of my childhood.
Radio hams have moved on from the old style DX-ing. They try to use packet radio to send small amounts of computer data around the world. Thing is that the building solar maximum and sunspots are going to wreak havoc with long distance radio transmissions in the next couple of years.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
The amount of burn marks on my childhood bedroom carpet from those chemistry kits.... good times.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Had to build one in CDT back in school about 13years ago. Can't remember any of it now though.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Yes I built my own crystal radio when I was a child. Worked quite well...until I started messing about with it to see what happens...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Thats the baby - I eventually butchered mine for parts for my electronics course.

I'm very very tempted to buy it. I had that thing for ages and was always messing around with it.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
I took one apart once thou... Forgot to unplug it first... Blew out the fuses and got a really nice lightshow.. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom