Any Windows XP pro experts here?

H

HargloweHyfryd

If so: I have the following problem since yesterday.

I have a laptop I use to play DAOC at home using cable-internet.

The same laptop I take with me to work, where I plug it into the network.

As my cable-provider assigns me an IP-address, I DO not put in an IP-address at home.
At work I put in an IP-address and a standard gateway and a DNS-server-address.

Everything worked fine untill yesterday, but for some reason or other I cannot get my laptop to DIRECTLY connect to the internet at home since yesterday-evening (or even at the office, directly connecting the cable to my laptop), but the connection works fine when it runs through the office-network.

It must have been something I've done with regards to the network-settings, but I cannot find what the problem is.

Does anyone have any idea? Please?

I know it's all rather vague, but I've run out off ideas :(

C

ChillyDawg

domains, workgroups, (checked its actually plugged in), various numbers you might have left lying around in the gateway/DNS boxes.... double check it all and if all else fails......i dunno, buy a gameboy.

S

Sibanac

some cable companys (mine does) remember your MAC (unique number on your network card) and wont give you a new IP for a while if the MAC changes. This happens mostly if you had an other pc connected to the modem before putting the laptop on

you could try putting the laptop on dhcp (the automatic ip setting) shuting it down, then reset or power cycle the modem, when the modem is back up and running, boot the laptop and pray to the lord

O

old.Kerosene

I had a similar sounding problem. I performed a system restore to the day before and all was fixed. Was surprisingly painless too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom