Any US players? (Question about link)

W

wyleia

Ive been in england all summer and during htat time, my DAOC addiction has grown. I will be returning next week to the states and was wondering if any US players on the European servers could tell me how the link is? (will be using bellsouth dsl if anyone is on that specific service).. Also only have use of a modem while at the university.. never played DAOC on a modem.. esp with a transatlantic link.. Can anyone give me good news that I dont have to restart on the american servers? :)))
thanks!

Wyleia Mythweaver
-Prydwen
-Level 34 Sorc of The 30

O

old.Zoltar

Sorry, but you will have to restart.
The US and Euro version is *not* compatible.

Zoltar
...former Guinevere and Nimue player

W

wyleia

Yeah I know that.....

I know they arent compatible, but since I am playing in england i DO have a copy of the european software that I can use to play from the states :)

I am just wondering about how my link will be

(all you need is the correct software... ie how europeans can play the us servers with the correct software as well :)

A

Alrindel

A few players on the European servers play from North America, although the only one I can think of offhand is Keri, who plays from Canada. The link should be reasonably good, especially if you are using a university LAN - they tend to have fat bandwidth to the american backbone. You may find it is a little more laggy than you are used to. My average latency to GOA's servers is 20ms, while my average latency to Mythic's (from France) is 180ms - which is reasonable and OK to play.

O

old.Odium

There's someone in my guild who runs like this. I'll ask him for you.

O

old.Greggor

I have here from players that use the states version of daoc that they get less lag than the euro servers so i dont think there is much in it mebbe the us server are better.

Hope this relocation of the server will make things better?

O

old.Zoltar

I had an avg ping to US servers around 180ms . Its ok, and absolutely playable.

Ive heard some scary stories about aol connections in the states though. So unless you have that (or any other really crappy conn, you should be fine with your ping to Euro servers.

If you want to find out now, then get a US friend of yours to ping the Euro servers (IP to server is being displayed when you log on to the server).

(Shell to DOS, type "ping <IP> -l 250)

If you only get "request timeout"'s on your ping, then try pinging the default gateway (replace the last number in the IP with 1).

Zoltar

K

Kagato.

Hiya, you should have no problems whatsoever, I used to play Diablo/Diablo 2 with an american friend who lives in SA Texas, and when we both moved to DAoC we opted for her to play on the European servers instead (shipped her an english copy). We have been happily playing on Excalibur ever since and never had any trouble with lag, or if there was lag it was effecting everyone on the server so by no means a connection fault. I admit she has cable, I don't know if a normal modem would be different but I should not think it matters that much. Lets face it, it virtually always comes down to framerate in this game, not lag.

Hope this is of some help, i'll try get her to post her own opinions here for you lol.

:)

K

kestral

Hi
I'm Kagato's Camelot friend and have had absolutely no problems playing the European version from the US. It works great!
Happy gaming!

N

nobrot

I am not in the US, but in the Caribbean, same side of the Atlantic as the US, and I have no probs playing on the UK servers. Using aDSL (128/64) works fine.

W

wyleia

Thanks All!

THanks all for your replies, makes me feel better about going home next week :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom