Any Motorbike Fanatics here?

S

Solid

I am gonan be takign my CBT and Direct Access Licence trainign next week and wanted to know if anyone has a good reccomendation for a £2500-£3000 first bike?

I love the sound of the Honda CB500, apparently one of the absolute best used buys on the planet, was thinking does anyone else have any suggestions?

F

Flesh

Get a Loch, she's a bike.
But I've been told she's a crap ride. :(

M

Mid - Kirinia

I'm not really up with the licencing side of things (even though I work for the DVLA:rolleyes: ), but will you have a cylinder capacity limit (125cc?) after passing the CBT or will you be able to drive a bike with any size engine?

And are you after a brand spanker or a used bike?

S

Solid

Decided to do the full DAS licence, so no limits whatsoever.

Atm my best mate has reccomended a Honda CB500, and all the bike reviews i read cant praise this bike enuff.

Its a 500cc, 57bhp Bike, very nippy, very tide, super sexy...

Anyway, yer if I did the A1 licence, I would have been restricted to a 33bhp Bike for 2 years (most bikes can be restricted to 33bhp so thats not really an issue).

But it will cost me the same to get a full licence, so might as well, can then ride a 500cc straight up :D

T

The Kingpin

I went off bikes, just to many cars on the roads these days..

Sure, you can organise events, but its still not the same..

T

The_Sheriff

Seen too many motorbike accident victims come through casualty doors (and leave in a wheelchair or not at all) to make me wanna take it up.
I'm not saying all motorcyclists are crap at driving, I'm saying they aint got much protection when the idiot driver hits them.
And just seeing the real idiots on their bikes in the hot weather wearing shorts and a t-shirt makes me cringe.

S

Solid

hehe Job, well I am a novice to Biking, and I think a CB500 is plenty to get to grips with as a first bike :D

Really REALLY looking forward to it, should get most fo august and september with some good weather, make a few trips to the coast and maybe one up to Edinburgh. :clap:

O

old.job

Actually I agree, though the ZX is a rocketship, tear-arsing everywhere can get boring and is dangerous for you and your licence.
I have as much fun with my mates on our 50cc scooters, CB500 is top bike, though I tend to go for traileys myself around that cc.
I think they look a bit cooler, but the engines are never as smooth and all used ones have been stoppied/wheelied to death.

Your biggest problem will be insurance, it is fookin ludicrous now, with full no claims bonus the ZX12 costs me £700 a year!!!!

M

Munkey-

I erm....subscribe to Transworld Motorcross if that counts.

S

Solid

Job I also got 6 points on my licence tho so even worse.

I think a third party fire and theft will cost me bout 500-600 squids.

Its the bloody equipment costs thats a killer.

£180 helmet, £200 leathers, gloves, back protection thingy, boots, bike cover...etc etc.

I heard the CB500 is being discontinued, and my mate said i should look for good prices on the last remaining enw ones, this true? whats relpacing it?

BTW Honda are soon gonna reveal the name of the FireBlade replacement, apparently the legend has had its last dance, and the new incarnation is on its way :D

Think of any cool names for it? :D

M

Mid - Kirinia

BTW Honda are soon gonna reveal the name of the FireBlade replacement, apparently the legend has had its last dance, and the new incarnation is on its way.

Think of any cool names for it?

ShadowBlade :rolleyes:

V

Validus

pfft very few ppl have enough bling-bling to buy that. but if ppl can afford 2 buffbot accounts i guess they cant a afford a 170,000p bike

O

old.Tohtori

Not about the bling-bling, it's all about the lockpicks you use :D

And when someone reports that stolen, the conversation will be something like:

Police: Hello.

Guy: Yes hello, my bikes been stolen!

Police: Relax. What kind of a bike?

Guy: A dodge tomahawk.

Police: *laughter, whispers, more laughter*

*click*

K

kinag

Motorbikes are cool :)
Wanted to get a 128 cubic or how the heck its written, but changed my mind, getting a car soon so :>

C

cadiva

My ex boyfriend always rode Suzuki's and his last one was a very nice GSX-R, the latest model of which I think is the GSX-R600 K3.

Used to be nice to ride pillion too cos they had a decent bit of space at the back, of course the colour combos these days are totally different, not sure I'm too keen on the new blue options.

Me mate back at home has a Yamaha R1 but I reckon that might be a bit much after just passing your test.

I was never a fan of the Honda cos of that massive square petrol tank but hey, I'm a girl so I'm prolly not qualified to have an opinion on a bike just on looks as I just used to spend most of my time sat on the back while someone else did the driving.

Whatever you decide to get, good luck with it Solid, hope you have many hours of top quality biking and remember - car drivers forget they have rear view mirrors in which to spot the bikes and always miss you at a roundabout too ;)#

EDIT and PS: If you ever get a chance, take a ride up to Kirkby Lonsdale which is just beyond Skipton on the A65, biker heaven for browsing and meeting fellow bikers on Wednesday nights and Sunday afternoons.

J

Jonaldo

Streethawk4tehwin

streethawk_bike.jpg

S

speshneeds

Originally posted by Mid - Kirinia
(even though I work for the DVLA:rolleyes: ),

could be worse, you could work for NTL in swansea like me :p

Another bike to look at second hand is the Kwak GPZ500s, very versitile bike with almost a full fairing, dirt cheap to insure, econmical, good for 115 and embarrasing boy racers, and v good at long distance work too (used to ride from swansea to london return every other weekend on mine), cheap parts too being a kwak.

Rode a cb500 when i was looking for my 1st bike and tbh the gpz had a bit more poke and felt alot nicer to ride in general

A

arrakeen

I like the Honda but they are often pretty exspensive comparede to what you get.

So watch out you dont buy it to fast when you spot the one you like :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom