Any guitarists on here?

Boomeruk

Fledgling Freddie
need help :)

looking for a cheap way to play my guitar through my pc, prefferably with some software similar to that of my effects pedal, for creating different sounds etc and recording facility.

doesent have to be uber gear, just looking for the cheapest solution :)

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
*Also would like to know the same, so answer fast people :p*

Boomeruk

Fledgling Freddie
givf info!!11

not having much look with google, some forums say try guitar port, i found a pic and some spec of it, but didnt exactly figure out wtf it did lol

Maular

Fledgling Freddie
Guitar port although its not that cheap, but gives u unlimited effects adn u dont need to register to get updates.

Awsome or you could buy a zoom effects pedal and then plug into your soundcard via line in etc. <make sure you have a volume control between your guitar and the soundcard though>

PM me if you want any more info I record my guitar through pc and have used many differnt methods.

Boomeruk

Fledgling Freddie
clear some of your pms, ur inbox is full ^^

Chilly

Balls of steel
when i bought my ye old soundblaster live! platinum that came with a load of dsp stuff and the front panel had inputs the right size for my leads, plug n play baby! didnt do much recording on it cos i do that with either my mums stereo mic if im playing classical or use her minidisc direct if im doing electric type stuff, thru my pre amp.

Boomeruk

Fledgling Freddie
gonna get a line 6 guitar port, around the £75 on ebay, but looks like it rocks, 24 amp models, millions of different effects, and lessons (which i need badly as i suck)

anyone wanna buy a zoom 505 effects pedal and fender 15g frontman amp? :D :D :D

Maular

Fledgling Freddie
Yep would recomend Guitar port 100% although for the lessons you have to subscribe :/

but the latest versoin of the software is freakin awsome!!

Good luck with it, also i recommend getting calkwalk sonar software

Trust me put these two products together and your life is over hehe

Bloodaxe_Springskalle

Fledgling Freddie
for best result, put a mic into your soundcard (a real mic) then "mic up" your guitar amplifier.
if you wanna use effects from the PC it's best to apply them onto the recording when editing and not record with the effect active to get cleanest possible sound.
also, if your using fuzz, don't use too much of it on the amp, just play the riff twice (or more) with lower fuzz and use 2-4 layers for more "punch" in the fuzz. (Rammstein use this)
You can ofcourse just use a mini-jack converter and plug directly into to PC but the sound quality wont be uber.

ps. I've played in a metal band for over 10 years and we've done recordings in studio's and in the rehersal room with various success.
some of the best quality recordings are infact dont in the rehersal room with a computer, 4 track recorder and a few high quality microphones.

Maular

Fledgling Freddie
You should check guitar port m8 cause that is how guitar port works:-

It emulates a microphone in front of Any amp/cab you choose, also lets your choose the type of microphone you want and distance from amp etc.

Also i dont recomend for home recording putting effects until after recording use the live guitar ports function and u can record with any effect you want with no latency so why play clean and add it later?

Also what type of music you looking to record? I have loads of drum tracks etc I could maybe send you....

Also yes layoring tracks is great in the studio- but when you come to play live it sounds crap and is why most bands these days sound "empty" when playing live......... I never record anything that cant be reproduced live or thats just "fake" music imo.

Well anyway Good luck with recording maybe post some tracks :)

Thilde

Fledgling Freddie
By plugging a mic in your soundcard and record the sound from the amp will not give you the best result unless your pc is aimed for such thing (with a decent soundcard non-standard pc soundcard) and you got a mic that is made for it and what about your room?.

Line6 guitarPot (note- note guitarPORT) should be the easiest way for you(assume your pc is a game machine) and Line6 has a recording tool called RiffTracker (about £50) which is awesome.

I am using Pod-XT-LIVE from Line6 works the same way connection to your pc via USB.

Here are some examples how it sounds using Line6 podXT Live effectsboard together with a free software Line6 GuitarPort2.5 (recorded with Logic 5)
on my MAC.

http://www.ksjoytrap.dk/joey/loso_no_background.mp3
http://www.ksjoytrap.dk/joey/loso_background.mp3

Hope this helps

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
Easiest way is probably Instrument -> Amp -> Computer. Use whatever software you like to record the line in. The sound quality tends to be better if you mic your cab, though*, as then you are actually recording what your entire rig sounds like, not just your preamp.

If you don't want to spend a fortune on recording software and basicly want to record and edit, with maybe a few effects, I'd reccommend GoldWave

*This is presuming you're using a half decent microphone.

Thilde

Fledgling Freddie
Boomeruk said:
wanna teach me how to do that? :wub:

How to record or how to play?

if how to record sure but if the other one it depends on how much you have been playing :)

Killswitch

FH is my second home
I just use the line-out from my GT-5 straight into the line-in of the PC. I did have some shareware 8-track software for doing the recording, but can't seem to find it again.

To keep this thread interesting (I like guitars) I'll post a gear list...interested to hear what you other guys are using :D

Guitars

PRS CE24 (custom with EMG Active PUs)
Schecter Avenger
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Simon and Patrick 'Cedar 6' acoustic

Effects

Boss GT-5 Floor-Mounted FX box
Audio-Technica Wireless System

Amps

Marshall 6100 30th Anniversary 3-channel head (in purple Tolex :p)
Marshall speaker cabs (4x12 slanted and 2x12 straight)

Boomeruk

Fledgling Freddie
im a complete guitar noob and was on a very tight budget :p

Fender "Tom Delong" squire strat (mexican) in surf green, but with real duncan invader pickup

Fender frontman 15g practice amp

Zoom 505 II effects pedal

although i only had a budget of like £150, i started with a squire affinity, unbranded amp etc, but got a bit of cash for something, so spent like... £300 on the new setup, and tbh, my £160 tom delong plays much better than my dads £500 telecaster, even he says so, never ever looses tune, even if i hammer it for like 4 hours and has a wonderful clean tone, and very nice punky tone all on the single "volume" switch :)

Milne

Fledgling Freddie
Chilly said:
when i bought my ye old soundblaster live! platinum that came with a load of dsp stuff and the front panel had inputs the right size for my leads, plug n play baby! didnt do much recording on it cos i do that with either my mums stereo mic if im playing classical or use her minidisc direct if im doing electric type stuff, thru my pre amp.

I made some front panel input things like that a while back, were pretty useful...

Where'd you get that Tom Delong guitar from? my brother would love one of those for Christmas :eek:

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Killswitch said:
I'll post a gear list...interested to hear what you other guys are using :D

Bwahaha, here goes:

Guitars

Custom Haydn Williams 7-string (through-neck)...this one, in fact http://www.williamsguitars.fsnet.co.uk/Assets/Gallery/7stringguit.jpg
Custom Haydn Williams 7-string (bolt-on neck, scalloped fretboard)
Custom Haydn Williams 36-fret guitar...this one, in fact http://www.williamsguitars.fsnet.co.uk/Assets/Gallery/custom36.jpg
Ibanez RG-450
Washburn EC-29 prototype 29-fret
1986 Fender Strat '62 reissue
Fender Squire Strat (customised with Floyd Rose vibrato, scalloped fretbaord and painted by yours truly with a copy of a Kandinsky painting that I can never remember the title of)
Encore Strat copy (strung in octaves of C)
Rockwood half-size Strat
Kimbara cheap-assed acoustic

Basses
1982 Tokai Jazz Bass replica
Custom Haydn Williams 7-string headless
Custom Haydn Williams 7-string headless (fretless twin to the other one)

Rack Effects

Digitech Studio 400
Digitech TSR-24S (upgraded with 2nd S-DISC processor)
Digitech 256-XL
Yamaha REV-500
ART SGX-200 Express
Behringer Composer Pro compressor (x2)
Behringer Intelligate noise gate
Behringer Denoiser noise reduction system
Behringer Ultrafex stereo enhancer
Behringer Ultragain hybrid valve mic preamp
Behringer Ultrapatch Pro patch bay (x2)
Korg DTR-2 pro rack tuner

Pedal Effects
DOD Death Metal
DOD Buzz Box (ultra rare and completely insane)
DOD Gonkulator (ring modulator + distortion)
DOD Flashback Fuzz
DOD Pedalverb
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Coloursound Vibrato
Ibanez U-300 Bass Multi Effects (ultra rare)
Pearl Distortion (ultra rare)
Pearl 9-band Graphic EQ (also ultra rare)
Rocktron Purple Haze octave fuzz

Amps

Marshall JMP-1 rack valve preamp
Peavey Classic 50/50 stereo rack valve power amp
Marshall 8222 2x12" cabs
...and a cute little Kustom practice amp with red sparkle cushion all round it.

:D

Boomeruk

Fledgling Freddie
Milne said:
I made some front panel input things like that a while back, were pretty useful...

Where'd you get that Tom Delong guitar from? my brother would love one of those for Christmas :eek:

my local guitar shop had a display model i was able to purchace £20 cheaper than if they were to send away and get new from fender.

my friend bought one off ebay, but it wasent a squier, it was stag or something, and it was terrible, but he only payed £60 or something for it..

i'd highly reccomend the tom delong for a newbie, due to it only having 1 controll on it :p but seriously, out of the box, its a magnificent guitar to play, the action is so sweet, and if you're into punky blink 182 / sum41 sound, just turn the volume up and play it through any amp, lovely sound, or to get clean sound, just turn the volume down :)

as said earlier, my dad has played many many guitars in his life, but still seems to preffer to play mine over his tele :p

also, i played the origional (none mexican) tom delong in a bigger music shop in town, the build quality is better, its a lot heavyier, but still no where as nice to play xD and that retails at £399 iirc... it has a perley scratch plate and a origional seymore duncan invader pickup, identical guitar to the one tom delong plays in the video for "adams song" etc

Milne

Fledgling Freddie
He's not a newbie but he just bums tom delongs guitar lol ^_^

Lately his guitar got stolen, so he's using mine for band practice and it's been scratched already :/

Thilde

Fledgling Freddie
hi again :)

I have 2 guitars for every gig.

Ibanez JEM and Fender strat 52's vintage(0.9 on JEM and 0.11 on strat)
My gears I use Line 6 PodXT Live, Carl Martin fuzz. TS808,DS1,BluesDriver and some other MODs.

AMP: Yamaha G100-212 250watts combo.

Here is an example you can hear using Ibanez+DS1+TS808 and analog Delay.

http://www.lowsociety.org/forGG.mp3

btw the wah is Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon

Trylle^nzi

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
Bwahaha, here goes:
1982 Tokai Jazz Bass replica
Custom Haydn Williams 7-string headless
Custom Haydn Williams 7-string headless (fretless twin to the other one)

Nerf u svart! :touch:

Can bassplayers show off here too? xD

Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe w. passives
Schecter Stiletto Studio-5

Ampeg SVP-BSP (preamp)
Ashdown ABM300 head
Ashdown ABM410T (4x10" + tweeter)
Ashdown ABM115-500 (1x15")

ProCo RAT Juggernaut distortion
EBS OctaBass
EBS UniChorus
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 105Q

Givf a fretless! :(

Any other bassplayers here? post ur gear :p :drink:

Spudgie

Fledgling Freddie
I've got a Line 6, one of the best things I ever bought. I usually sit and strum away while I'm waiting for something on the comp. I have a strat-copy made by Vantage with 2 double humbucker pick-ups. It doesn't sound at all special until you kick up the drive :flame:

Thilde

Fledgling Freddie
lets have a competition ;) who can make the best record and let readers vote ;)

Jazz
Blues
Metal

Thugs

Fledgling Freddie
Thilde?

Was that really you playing? If it was - eh - amazing. Wish to hell I could play like that.

Fantastic and a joy to hear.

Me
My Site

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom