Any good games for xbox360/ps3 yet?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
As far as I can see they are both still full of endless franchises and franchise clones.

I dont want fifa pro evo 290489280299202 or halo 56 or fighting game 74 or driving game 99.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing those two consoles, I'm genuinely interested in picking up one or the other ( likely a PS3 ) but I cant see any games I think would be any good.

Sports Sequels and crappy franchises dont appeal at all.
Maybe there are some unknown gems I dont know as I havnt owned a console since my PS1.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If you want games then 360 is the way to go, some good releases coming up for the ps3, but it would be a long wait.

Good 360 games:

Crackdown
Dead Rising
Mass Effect
Gears of War
Call of Duty 4 ( i realise its a franchise, but it's good ).

These are simply the one's I have that I consider good and within your criteria, there are many others that I do not own and cannot really comment on.

On the ps3 side, there is not much. Lots of sub-standard releases so far. Or games that are good but are also on the 360.

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune is very good though.

Aada

Part of the furniture
As far as I can see they are both still full of endless franchises and franchise clones.

I dont want fifa pro evo 290489280299202 or halo 56 or fighting game 74 or driving game 99.

Looks like you have already made your mind up!

Milkshake

Loyal Freddie
If you've not already played it for the PC, Portal is a cracker :) Short but oh so sweet.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
All games are nowadays be it PC or console are franchises its the way the industry is going, the funny thing is these games companies want to make money and when they find a formula that works, they will release a sequel aka Far Cry 2, Halo 3 etc but other companies use the franchise process as a cash cow aka FIFA, NHL etc

It takes a very brave developer to make an original game aka psychonauts but that usually ends with the company going into liquidation. Its harsh but its the way the industry is maturing and successful original games are usually in the realm of Indie developers and Miniclip.com kinda sites.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Uncharted and Rachet and Clank are both good PS3 games and also Resistance is a good game that gets unfairly bashed i think.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
If you want games then 360 is the way to go, some good releases coming up for the ps3, but it would be a long wait.

Good 360 games:

Crackdown
Dead Rising
Mass Effect
Gears of War
Call of Duty 4 ( i realise its a franchise, but it's good ).

These are simply the one's I have that I consider good and within your criteria, there are many others that I do not own and cannot really comment on.

On the ps3 side, there is not much. Lots of sub-standard releases so far. Or games that are good but are also on the 360.

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune is very good though.

Cheers, havnt heard of the first three really, played gears of war on my friends 360 and enjoyed it and COD even though its a franchise is usually enjoyable.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
If you've not already played it for the PC, Portal is a cracker :) Short but oh so sweet.

I have and it is indeed epic and win, on the same token Audiosurf would be amazing on console also :)

Tilda

All games are nowadays be it PC or console are franchises its the way the industry is going, the funny thing is these games companies want to make money and when they find a formula that works, they will release a sequel aka Far Cry 2, Halo 3 etc but other companies use the franchise process as a cash cow aka FIFA, NHL etc.

This is rubbish, especially for PCs. Granted there are some franchises, GTA, Fifa, etc.

But;

Audiosurf,
Portal,
TF2
Sins of a solar empire
Crysis
Spore

many many good games have been released over the last 6 months which have done things have have never been done before in games.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Granted PC games tend to have more original games but only Audiosurf and Sins of a solar empire and Spore are the only games there that are not part of a franchise. Portal and TF2 are part of the Half-life franchise, Crysis is relative but is considered part of the cro franchise..Far cry, instincts, predator etc.

Though you could argue that Sins is part of the Stardock 4x franchise, but thats splitting hairs.

But then again I don't see whats wrong with franchises, it means that the developer gets another chance to perfect there vision aka Half-Life 2 (or make it worse aka Deus Ex invisible war) its also a great way to make a story longer without it being cut short because the developers only have a limited time-frame to give you all the details.

Some of the sports franchises stagnate, but even EA does try something new every few years.

But what are peoples issues with franchises?

Milkshake

Loyal Freddie
I think often (especially when I think EA) the next game in a franchise isn't actually worth the money for the upgrade, but the support and interest for the previous game goes...so you are almost forced to keep going.

I especially hate the EA sports games. Tiger Woods 08? Where is the innovation?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I think often (especially when I think EA) the next game in a franchise isn't actually worth the money for the upgrade, but the support and interest for the previous game goes...so you are almost forced to keep going.

I especially hate the EA sports games. Tiger Woods 08? Where is the innovation?

Better shading on the swing control interface!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Army of two is out soon on 360. Cant wait for that!

Army of two is also out soon on the ps3 though. Lots of the supposed "A" list games are dual releases for both formats, if you are not intrested in the back catalouge then it does not matter which you buy.

The 60gb ps3 was worth it for the backwards compatibility, but when faced with a 40gb ps3 or a 360, I would go for the 360. At the moment, it is the better machine for a pure gamer.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
With the franchise thing, fifa08 was a huge change from previous incarnations, and most of the time pro evo gets better with each revision. Games like pgr usually get better as well. And then you have fraanchises which continue a story line, like Resident Evil or Devil May Cry. These do no harm, as the games are usually better than the last, or the same but with a continuation of a story.

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
With the franchise thing, fifa08 was a huge change from previous incarnations, and most of the time pro evo gets better with each revision. Games like pgr usually get better as well. And then you have fraanchises which continue a story line, like Resident Evil or Devil May Cry. These do no harm, as the games are usually better than the last, or the same but with a continuation of a story.

I disagree with the PES bit. They've even admitted that they've been too lazy.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
That's why I said "most of the time pro evo gets better". Although I still prefer pro 8 to 6, it is not what it could have been. I still prefer it to fifa though.

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
That's why I said "most of the time pro evo gets better". Although I still prefer pro 8 to 6, it is not what it could have been. I still prefer it to fifa though.

It does get better yeah - just not way different :/ it has been like that since pes3. It's great for newcomers, but some of us old timers are getting a little tired of it.

I disliked fifa from 1999-2007. 08 has changed the footie gameplay alot though - something no other footie game in a franchise has managed to do, since the world cup 98 game :)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue out end of March for PS3. Something like 40 cars, 4 or 5 tracks (including the London City track), and any progress/cash made in the game can be saved and imported into GT5 when it's out a few months later.

About the only game that has got me excited about games again. That and the news that Deus Ex 3 is being made (although it may end up like DX2 and be a big let down).

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It does get better yeah - just not way different :/ it has been like that since pes3. It's great for newcomers, but some of us old timers are getting a little tired of it.
To be fair, it's a football game, it's not going to be uber revolutionary every time. If that's what you're after, hit Mario Strikers up.

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
To be fair, it's a football game, it's not going to be uber revolutionary every time. If that's what you're after, hit Mario Strikers up.

I've never said it had to be revolutionary every year - just that they've been so fucking lazy the last few years. They should learn from the canadian EA team tbh (atleast this year).

I've said it before, and I'll gladly say it agian - Pro evo fans are the most biased people ever. I used to be like that, before I actually gave 08 a chance. Now I see how much it has changed compared to PES, and I won't return to it untill it has improved.

A football game? yeah, but why can't they get the finger out of their arse like EA did.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Army of two is also out soon on the ps3 though.

I wasnt meaning that as its exclusive, i just meant that it is coming out on 360, thats what i have so only really interested in that

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom