Question Any finance guru's on here?

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
Is now a good time to invest in a tracker fund?

Probably looking at 3-5yr investment, maybe longer.

Any help/advice/info appreciated.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Only take financial advice from someone qualified to give financial advice. Don't listen to anyone else.

(imo)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Indeed!

I think its quite risky at the moment to start investing in the market.
I would only invest if you really know what you are doing!

Best speak to an independent financial advisor about this...

Ashala

One of Freddy's beloved
invest in your countrys largest bank =)

its no joke by the way

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
Only take financial advice from someone qualified to give financial advice. Don't listen to anyone else.

(imo)

Yeah, not really looking at advice as to what to invest in, more of a general "do tracker funds tend to give a reasonable return?". From what I believe the investment is spread across various companies within a chosen market thus reducing the impact if one goes bust.

With the stockmarket being so low at the minute just wondering if it's a good time to buy as they should (hopefully) return to normal within a few years.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Perhaps if you purchased a managed fund that had quite a few FTSE100 companies it may make you a good return in a few years...since the FTSE is at an all time (5yr?) low.

Its not guaranteed though...

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
This is definately a good time to invest in certain stocks, if you have sufficient information and knowledge in what you do. Myself, im definately going to buy some shares here and there.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Is now a good time to invest in a tracker fund?

Probably looking at 3-5yr investment, maybe longer.

Any help/advice/info appreciated.

A better bet would be to invest in a tremlar fund, your money will increase* massively at a fantastic rate. PM me for more details.

*decrease

rynnor

Rockhound

(imo)

Dont take investment advice from anyone - its all a gamble no matter how professional they appear to be - noone really predicted the credit crunch - all pension funds who employ people specifically to try and predict this kind of thing failed.

Saying that if you can join a tracker fund when the market is near bottom you should do well unless the companies that tracker invests in go bust by the bucketfull.

rynnor

Rockhound
Perhaps if you purchased a managed fund that had quite a few FTSE100 companies it may make you a good return in a few years...since the FTSE is at an all time (5yr?) low.

Its not guaranteed though...

I reckon it will bottom out around 3000 points in a month or 2s time unless we get a true collapse.

pcg79

One of Freddy's beloved
lots of managed funds are just sitting in cash/losing money at the moment so i would say nay to that idea (paying fees for cash?!?!)

an ETF based on the ftse 100 might be an idea. just bear in mind that we may not have reached the bottom. of course, if you are holding for 10 years you will probably be fine. maybe.

rynnor

Rockhound
lots of managed funds are just sitting in cash/losing money at the moment so i would say nay to that idea (paying fees for cash?!?!)

Theres always gold I guess :)

My bet would to be to go for non-financial companies whose share price is being hit - tesco if their shares have a bad day - they are solid and cash rich.

Personally I'm going to buy a flat to rent out - been considering it for years but wouldnt buy at the peak - now seems a great time - just need a decent deposit.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
noone really predicted the credit crunch

I completely disagree.

A lot of us in the financial world knew that 125% mortgages at 5x salary rates along with self certification, sub-prime markets were never going to last. As soon as certain lenders withdrew their 100% mortgages or "graduate" mortgages (a la Scottish Widows and HSBC) the writing was on the wall for where things were heading.

However, I never expected a fallout on this scale, my prediction was that interest rates would go very high to curb the rising house prices to the point where people couldn't afford the mortgages, then the "crunch" or slowdown would take place as repossesions increased.

rynnor

Rockhound
I completely disagree.

A lot of us in the financial world knew that 125% mortgages at 5x salary rates along with self certification, sub-prime markets were never going to last. As soon as certain lenders withdrew their 100% mortgages or "graduate" mortgages (a la Scottish Widows and HSBC) the writing was on the wall for where things were heading.

Yes - this is practically useless for investment purposes - as I say all the pension companies took a hammering because none could predict if/when or how much.

A general feeling that things cant last is alas not a usefull prediction :)

xane

Fledgling Freddie
However, I never expected a fallout on this scale, my prediction was that interest rates would go very high to curb the rising house prices to the point where people couldn't afford the mortgages, then the "crunch" or slowdown would take place as repossesions increased.

The cheap mortgage vs rising house prices was a classic bubble waiting to burst, one feeds the other, this was obvious at least 5 years ago. Interest rates were never going to be enough to prevent new mortgages, my first mortgage was 15%, that didn't prevent anyone back then.

I'm waiting for the fallout to hit the Estate Agents, even after extensive regulation after the last house price crash they have still found ways of manipulating the market for their own gain. I bought a house 2 years ago and was surprised at how much influence they still have over not only the price, but your choice of mortgage. I've bought four houses in my lifetime so far, the power that Estate Agents have on the entire transaction has diminished little since the first one 20 years ago.

It's a relatively simple solution, you can legally prevent registered Estate Agents from colluding with mortgage providers or brokers. It would make sense for market competition as well as preventing this kind of bubble being engineered again, and it will happen again for as long as Estate Agents make money from higher house prices.

Whilst we are on the subject of mortgages, I'd advise that if you do have one, or any sort of outstanding loan, then use any spare finances to pay it off first before you think seriously about investments, especially those involving equities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom