Any 2handed Paladins?

Audigy

Fledgling Freddie
Ive always been strongly against 2handed paladins, becuase i believe paladins to be very defensive.

However after playing RvR I am starting to warm to the idea of going 2h.

As S/S i can stay on one tank for a whole fight and have hardly hurt them, and my slam doesnt seem to land as often as i would like.

Having said that I love PvE as a S/S.

My question is if i was to go 2h how will i fair in PvE, ie what con would i be able to manage? could I still solo diamond mobs?

My spec would be
502h
48 chants (i think last AF is a must especially if i dont have a shield)
29 thrust / slash
12 parry

I have no bot atm.

I know this subject been flogged to death but just wanna hear in real terms how you 2handers manage.

Also is there anything on the cards for 2 handed albs? have mythic said whether or not they ever intend to sort out double speccing?

Cheers

Duivel

Fledgling Freddie
Audigy said:
Ive always been strongly against 2handed paladins, becuase i believe paladins to be very defensive.

As S/S i can stay on one tank for a whole fight and have hardly hurt them, and my slam doesnt seem to land as often as i would like.

So, u wana b deffensive + do loads of damage? :worthy:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
never played a pallie but my hero is 2h, they are much much more fun to play than s/s imo.

how about this spec? not sure if its any good
44 2h
42 shield
38 chants
25 slash/blunt/thrust whatever

ASq.Obscurd

Fledgling Freddie
i used to play 2h pally after a year or more s/s times. there you go, some info, hopefully it will be useful for you.

* you cant be caster guard after respec, that was mostly needed before toa thing came out, and rvr groups will accept you just for endurance chant :) but after toa you may have bodyguard and can still do some good at groups too.

* you cannot hold a hundred of yelow/orange con solo and hope to survive after respeccing. i used to roam at dartmoor and farm whatever i like all the way to dragon, and other paths, but after respec, it needed a lot of effort to survive around there.

* after respec, you will learn how crit shots of archer classes can do :p

* you still can solo diamond mobs at df, but definitely 1 at a time, i could handle nightmares but if a succubus decides to join your fun, cant handle threesome :p but i was only rr4ish, mabeb with high rr, you can be abgle to do 2 at a time too. umbral hulks solo, no way unbuffed.

* not solo, but with af debuff necro with you, you can kill everything way too much faster than before, even without the necro you are far more damage output if u compare to s/s

* you will be familiar with bone bruiser/bone breaker/ bone splitter combo :p suddenly you may find yourself at "hey, u hold the aggro, ill move to side and onslaught the mob to death" situation :)

in the end, it depends on your playing style. ive seen most of the paladins happy as s/s, but i was happier with my 2h new spec. and above spec you mentioned is one ofthe good working ones around, but if i were you, i just ignore the parry and go full slash :D but with that way youll be less useful for groups in pve section, your choice.

Seeaira_Tempest

Fledgling Freddie
I played a two handed pally for 2 years and always loved playing her. I mean I was two handed before we ever got end, but I still got groups :p

The damage is quite nice, you wont do as much as some 2 handed classes but its a lot of fun. I did anywhere from 400ish to 500ish in rvr. The annoying part of course is the fact you are so slow to hit.
Most groups wont like the fact you are 2 handed, but you will still get groups just for your end etc.. But don't count on making it into any caster groups.

In pvp I still did really well, I could run through a full room of celts in barrows of yellows and orange and kill them. Buffed ofc :p
Soloing in DF was not a problem, I could still take on diamond mobs but with adds with was pretty tough.

At the end of the day its down to what you want to play. After I swore I would never go S&S I tried it out when TOA came out and I highly doubt I will ever go back to 2 handed unless they give me more points to spec and I get a shinning white horse :p
I do sometimes miss the damage but the fact is im more efficient with S&S.

Good luck with whatever you try :)

Bometal

Fledgling Freddie
Well, there are indeed some 2 handed paladins in this game.

Like me for instance, playing a 2 handed paladin since beta and I am still playing on :p

2 Handed paladins are quite fun to play tbh but as said before, you are not playing the full "potential" of your class and you will be flamed for it a zillion times. People arent really used to the idea of 2 handed paladins and the idea of a paladin who doesnt stand next to their casters and guards em while playing end bots for the tanks, really frightens them...

The big surplus of a 2 handed paladin in RVR is, that you are in the assist train. Ergo the assist train always got end (in some battles, it happens that the train moves to far away from the end bot (the s/s paladin who stands next to the casters/cleric) and then no end for them :p Same surplus is always faith heal, always handy to groupheal for 1200hp / member

Like i said before, when you roll a 2 handed paladin, expect to get flamed, alot. Expect to stand alone in front of ATK and to wait hours for a group or you must have the luck to get a good guild which is willing to make groups with you. I, for instance, was in the prodigy and I rvred alot with them in the fixed rvr groups and it was great fun ! But unfortunaly, The prodigy kinda died , and now atm, I am guildless and I am spending loads of lonesome hours standing at ATK looking for groups. Ofcourse it is easy to get ROG pickup groups, but not really my cup of tea tbh.

If you are a S/S paladin, things like that will seldom happen ofcourse but I think I will never respec to S/S, I suffered to much flames with this char to suddenly follow the flow and respec it to cook & cutter spec :p

Anyway, if you wanna still go through with it and need a hand with something, dont hesitate to ask :p

Bometal out.

Audigy

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for all the advice, I will be respeccing.

one more question, can you recommend any weps to look out for? also is 2h included in "all melee skills"

Bometal

Fledgling Freddie
Audigy said:
Thanks for all the advice, I will be respeccing.

one more question, can you recommend any weps to look out for? also is 2h included in "all melee skills"

Weapons: Battler / Malice Axe (Toa), Sidi Weapons else ;)

It is included in all melee skills

judas

One of Freddy's beloved
dont expect any groups in pve or rvr with that spec tho even if its more fun ;)

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Battlemaster ml can make a 2H pally a bit more viable in rvr if you get grapple and bodyguard :)

Cawr

Fledgling Freddie
judas said:
dont expect any groups in pve or rvr with that spec tho even if its more fun ;)

Yes cause all 2h Paladins solo their way to 50...

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Cawr said:
Yes cause all 2h Paladins solo their way to 50...

I wish :( some always coming to AC pbaoe group with shield on and when action starts he draws the 2h and when you ask him to guard him someone "sorry m8 only have 1 on shield"

Cawr

Fledgling Freddie
Downanael said:
I wish :( some always coming to AC pbaoe group with shield on and when action starts he draws the 2h and when you ask him to guard him someone "sorry m8 only have 1 on shield"

Haha genius.

Theodoric

One of Freddy's beloved
Imo m8 you would be crazy to go 2h with NF coming and all the hunters/rangers being rolled guard is going to be very important.Plus shield is very good vs arrows , wouldnt fancy going up against all those hunters/rangers without my trusty shield :)

Lothandar

Fledgling Freddie
Excuse me, why do you want to do damage as a paladin? Roll an armsman then, not a pally :p. 2h pally is next to useless

HerculesPluto

Fledgling Freddie
most ppl assume pallys MUST STAY BACK and be s+s, what the twats dont realise is pallys slam dont landas much as a proper s+s specced armsman, and if they want a pure slambot invite a scout with high shield, not only that all the TURN END CHANT ON shit gets on the nerves too when its range isnt too hot so you try to get somewhere near the offensive tanks then ur casters are left unprotected, im sure you being with the main assist train will be appreciated by ppl who have played pallys and itll shut up the "TURN END CHANT ON FFS!" gimps who demand it on even from 5000 range.
A 2H pally is far from useless, one in the assist train will mean end chant no matter where it runs to, dmg add and faith heal, and all the actions of the assist train on the screen of the pally, finger ready on FH when charging a load of hib casters.

Spose it all depends if u run in random grps or set groups, if random go 2h and stick with the mercs and reavers, its not as if alb cloth casters can be properly protected anyway, we tend to try to look after each other wizzies aint totally utilitieless, same goes for thergs, any kind of root/mezz that gives us 5 secs more time can be the difference, i hardly ever see wizzies or thergs root/aoe rooting incoming tanks when the shit hits the fan, cant really moan tho since we still get 2 shotted by enemy casters 3/4 if its mids and can waste our whole mana pool nuking enemys to 50% hp.

Frontiers will fuck up all the perfect setup shit tho hopefully, roaming is the most boring thing in the world, roll a caster :)

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Give more 2H pallies, always enjoy duelling them :D

vintervargen

Banned
im gonna respec my bard to 50 blunt and pwn!! i wont mez so good, but i will 2shot casters!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom