Another GTA Lawsuit!!!!!!!

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Just makes me so angry!

--------------------------------------

Just when the furor over Grand Theft Auto: Vice City's "Kill all the Haitians!" level had finally died down, the game sparked another lawsuit. Along with its predecessor Grand Theft Auto III, the crime-action game is being blamed for inspiring the triple murder of three Fayette, Alabama, police officers.

Devin Thompson, 18, is accused of the slayings, which occurred after he was arrested in 2003 for suspicion of the crime of grand theft auto. According to the Associated Press, when he was caught, Thompson said, "Life is a video game. You've got to die sometime." While being booked at the station, he allegedly grabbed a police officer's pistol and then shot its owner and two other officers in the head--all three died. Thompson is then said to have driven off in a stolen police car, but was later apprehended. He is currently being charged with three counts of first-degree murder, and is set to go to trial on July 11.

Two of the victims' next-of-kin have filed a lawsuit accusing the two GTA games as having "trained and motivated" Thompson to commit his crimes. Besides Take-Two, the other defendants named in the near-60-page, $600 million suit are Wal-Mart and GameStop, where Thompson is said to have bought both M-rated games while under the ESRB-mandated 17-year-old purchase age. Sony Computer Entertainment America, makers of Thompson's PlayStation 2 console, is also named in the legal filing.

"I don't want another family to go through what our family has been through the past few years. It's about saving lives," said plaintiff Steve Strickland, a brother of one of the victims. The plaintiffs' attorney is none other than Jack Thompson, the Miami-based lawyer who has waged a one-man crusade "over the past twelve years in a national effort to hold accountable the entertainment industry for the harm it does to our children," according to his Web site, Stopkill.com.

After targeting gangsta rap's violent lyrics in the early 1990s, Thompson has spent the last half-decade railing against the perils of violent video games, which he refers to as "murder simulators." While speaking to the local NBC affiliate, Thompson said "[the game] industry has targeted, with the most popular and violent game in history, every police officer in America and put a bull's eye on their back." To back up his claims, Thompson cites studies at Harvard University and the University of Indiana that he asserts "prove that adolescents' brain functions are damaged by a steady diet of violent images."

For its part, Take-Two was conciliatory to the victims' relations, saying, "We would like to extend our deepest sympathies to the families of the officers killed." However, it gave no ground to the plaintiffs' attorney. "With regard to Mr. [Jack] Thompson, unfortunately he has a habit of doing this kind of thing often. No court has yet to take his legal claims seriously. The suggestion that there is a link between the use and sales of Grand Theft Auto and this tragic incident is utter nonsense. Anyone suggesting that such a link does exist is either misguided, misrepresenting the facts, or both."
------------------------------------------
Taken from Gamespot.com

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
This just smells of a hunt for "$". No way they are going to win.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Do they seriously believe perfectly normal people play a computer game, and then become raving lunatics? Or is it more likely that demented people also play computer games, and then emulate that game in real life?

So who should they sue for that person being demented in the first place? Or is that not an issue?

And how many questions can I fit in one post?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Tom said:
Do they seriously believe perfectly normal people play a computer game, and then become raving lunatics? Or is it more likely that demented people also play computer games, and then emulate that game in real life?

Tom's best line ever imo. Well done matey :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well i played leisure suit larry and still managed to land a chick...

Damn i'm gonna sue those f*ckers for a twisted mental image!

But on topic, it's not possible to steal a cops gun in GTA!! Hard evidence against the lawsuit.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
PLightstar said:
Two of the victims' next-of-kin have filed a lawsuit accusing the two GTA games as having "trained and motivated" Thompson to commit his crimes.

Right so, in this day and age it's possible to use a computer game to simulate crimes with predictable AI and and police who are thick enough to not know its you in a car when youve had a re-spray, right.

IDIOTS.

Catsby

One of Freddy's beloved
Catsby also wonders if Devin will respawn after being sent to the chair....

Aslo in light of this case, Catsby will perform surgery on people because he used to play "Operation" when younger. Based on this case, it should be more than sufficient training for Catsby to replace the 10 years practice it usually takes to become a surgeon.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
when he was caught, Thompson said, "Life is a video game. You've got to die sometime." While being booked at the station, he allegedly grabbed a police officer's pistol and then shot its owner and two other officers in the head--all three died

I've got to play more GTA :cool:

You don't pull off a move like that without training in guns. Those bringing the lawsuit should find out what he was doing before playing GTA. Though I'm tempted to believe the cops who arrested him were serial doughnut abusers...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Escape said:
I've got to play more GTA :cool:

You don't pull off a move like that without training in guns. Those bringing the lawsuit should find out what he was doing before playing GTA. Though I'm tempted to believe the cops who arrested him were serial doughnut abusers...

Sue Krispy Kreme!

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:
But on topic, it's not possible to steal a cops gun in GTA!! Hard evidence against the lawsuit.

Yes it is!

But yes this is silly .. kinda makes me think of a line on a t-shirt of a friend.

"Guns don't kill people. Little kids that play videogames do."

Tom

I am a FH squatter
When will they learn? They got blown away trying Led Zepplin for satanic lyrics, are these people really just unbelieveably stupid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom