Annoying 'niggles' in films

J

Jonaldo

Ever watch a film and wonder why people include certain scenes or don't really consider silly plot holes they leave in them? Y'know not things that totally spoil a film but the kind of thing that when you can't get to sleep one night and you're thinking about all sorts of crap you just think 'hrmmm, that ain't right'. Let's get nit-picking about things, don't wanna hear obvious "this film don't make sense and is crap!" posts but more little annoyances :)

Terminator 2

At the end, John Connor destroys all the parts of the Terminator and the bloke who lead the development of the technology died in a rather big explosion. Thus preventing the war in the future and everything is rosey again.

Except.. No war means Kyle Reese won't be sent back in time to protect Sarah Connor. This in turn means they won't meet and have some fling and Sarah won't get pregnant and John now won't be born. Does this create some sort of paradox as he's standing there and yet he shouldn't even exist now? And the universe explodes.. just wondering :)
(probably explained in T3 I suppose)

Equilibrium

After Christian Bale watches the woman get incinerated and gets arrested by the other cleric (Taye whatsisface) he gets away with the murders with the whole gun swapping shennanigans and they take the other cleric away. They then search Bales house blabla just to make sure he's ok.
Then later when he goes to see Father it turns out it was all just a ruse to make him think he had got away so that they could capture him.
So I'm thinking.. didn't they already have him captured and in handcuffs earlier? And they knew he was the guilty one all along? And they let him go and pretended to arrest someone else so they could capture him again later but this time not handcuffed and with a couple of guns. Clevar poepel in teh futar!

J

jo.

Back to the Future 2

Why did they have to get the sports almanac off Biff that exact day in 1955 ? Wouldn't if of been a smidge more sensible to get it off him the next day when there was no chance of Marty running into himself, or even that night after the clock tower thing, while Biff was asleep ? Seeing as the future was at stake, what'd be the harm in just robbing him of the book at gunpoint ?
They're far too polite about it all. :)

T

Tom

Would the films have been more entertaining if the scenes you describe were altered in the way you want?

Probably not.

Thread closed.

T

Tom

You heard me! Thread closed dammit!!!11!1

Bah no sleep for me tonight.

C

Ch3tan

In Equilibrium they used Bale to catch as many rebels as they could. By making him think he was free they had the chance to kill/catch all the rebels -which failed of course.

It wasnt about catching Bale, they could have done so at any time as they used him as a plant.

Or did that film go over your head in the same manner as Starship Troopers?

Thread closed damnit!

A

Arnor

Why did I read "Annoying '******s' in films" ?

im a bish aint I? :(

edit: I did think it was silly of the morons in matrix3 to pick up Bane who was in a coma and put him unrestrained in a room with sharp objects.

pps: why does the word ****** get censored? same with **** for that sake, anyways, if these are to be censored I demand that Cracker and cock gets censored too.
GIVE ME EQUALITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!

J

jo.

If that happened, it'd impact the frequent conversations about the appearances of poultry in Robbie Coltrane dramas.

A

Arnor

Originally posted by Clowneh!
Or you could just not post again. Please?

yes, JO. SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED ON BW!

:m00:

ps: no, we cant have any of that now can we jo. :D

X

xane

I just got X-Men 2 in DVD and I noticed that when Professor X is in Cerebo and causing all the mutants to writhe in pain, what about the mutant Jason behind him who continues to remain unaffected and holds him in the state of delusion ?

I liked it tho' :)

X

xane

Another one: in the worse film ever*, The Shawshank Redemption, when he escapes by crawling through a sewer pipe and out into the pouring rain, he is carrying his clean clothes in a plastic bag behind him, but how did he change into them and pass unnoticed away from the prison ? How do you get to have a shower and in relative dryness in the short space of time before all the guards were out looking for him ?

* because everyone likes it,

W

whipped

Originally posted by xane
Another one: in the worse film ever*, The Shawshank Redemption, when he escapes by crawling through a sewer pipe and out into the pouring rain, he is carrying his clean clothes in a plastic bag behind him, but how did he change into them and pass unnoticed away from the prison ? How do you get to have a shower and in relative dryness in the short space of time before all the guards were out looking for him ?

* because everyone likes it,
But it was pissing down with rain when he emergered. Natural shower. Not sure how he dried himself off though. Maybe a nearby, friendly beer hugged him for a bit.

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

Originally posted by Jonaldo

Terminator 2

At the end, John Connor destroys all the parts of the Terminator and the bloke who lead the development of the technology died in a rather big explosion. Thus preventing the war in the future and everything is rosey again.

Except.. No war means Kyle Reese won't be sent back in time to protect Sarah Connor. This in turn means they won't meet and have some fling and Sarah won't get pregnant and John now won't be born. Does this create some sort of paradox as he's standing there and yet he shouldn't even exist now? And the universe explodes.. just wondering :)

The war still takes place but 10 years after it was supposed to happen. Kyle would still come back to the past to do the matress mambo with Sarah except he would be 10 years older and probably have a zimmer frame or colostomy bag.

I just try not to think about paradoxes because it makes my head hurt after a while. :p

D

doh_boy

Its the age-old 'Grandad Paradox' isn't it.

You go back in time and kill your grandfather, therefore you won't be born and then AGAIN won't exist to kill your grandfather.

A

Arnor

Originally posted by doh_boy
Its the age-old 'Grandad Paradox' isn't it.

You go back in time and kill your grandfather, therefore you won't be born and then AGAIN won't exist to kill your grandfather.

unless you bork your grandmother, then you'll be your own grandfather, just ask Fry.

U

urz

Sixth Sense - Spoiler BTW

A film that annoyed me intensely.

If he didn't know he was dead then did it not seem strange to him when he got on the Bus and the driver didn't expect him to pay. This is just one of the inconsistencies within this. I felt cheated when I left the cinema because it just didn't add up.

P

PR.

Originally posted by urz
Sixth Sense - Spoiler BTW

A film that annoyed me intensely.

If he didn't know he was dead then did it not seem strange to him when he got on the Bus and the driver didn't expect him to pay. This is just one of the inconsistencies within this. I felt cheated when I left the cinema because it just didn't add up.

Or perhaps their buses don't give tickets so he just plopped his ghost money into the tray and sat down

D

DaGaffer

Originally posted by Jonaldo

Terminator 2

It depends on which quantum physics theory you want to follow. If you believe in the 'many worlds' hypothesis then the plot can work:

1. Reese comes back to 1984 from the future (Timeline 1) - shags Sarah, etc. Actually creates Timeline 2, which looks a lot like timeline 1 but actually isn't.
2. Sarah and John in Timeline 2 are attacked by the T1000, creating timeline 3 - Timeline 2 (nuclear war in 1997) still happens, but the Sarah and John we're following are no longer in it (another Sarah and John are).
3. A new Skynet comes in to existence in Timeline 3, ten years later than the Skynets of timelines 1 and 2. For all practical purposes it could even be a completetely different Skynet technology than the timeline 1 and 2 versions.

So you can see, in this model going back in time doesn't change the 'original' future, it just creates a new one, that runs alongside the old one. Which means you can play and fast and loose with time travel all you like without worrying about internal consistency, causality, grandfather paradoxes or any of that malarky. Of course it creates a new problem - any attempt by Skynet to go back in time to change history is doomed to failure because it won't actually change that Skynet's history, it will just create a new universe. So much for all powerful AI. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread