Annoying Graphics Glitch...

Borand

Fledgling Freddie
Upgraded from Windows 98 to Windows XP the other day and since then, I have been getting some weird graphical errors a lot of the time when playing DAoC. I usually get green stripes going down the screen and occasionally red flashing lights around my avatar. My PC is :

AMD Athlon 1ghz
512mb sd ram
Geforce 4 440Mx
Windows XP

Yeah I know it doesn't even meet the minimum requirements of ToA but I've been running it fine for the last 2 months in Windows 98. I've downloaded the latest drivers for my card (for Windows XP of course) and got the newest version of DirectX so I don't really have any idea what the problem could be. Here's a screenie of my problem : http://members.fortunecity.co.uk/borand/sshot083.jpg

Borand

Fledgling Freddie
Oh, I would also like to change my AGP speed of my graphics card from 2x down to 1x to see if that solves it...the only problem is I don't have a clue how to do that now - I used to use Powerstrip but my trial period has expired >_<

Kalid

Fledgling Freddie
Seems like a driver problem. Tried reinstall the driver? Which driver are you using?

CliffyG

Fledgling Freddie
Did you do an upgrade or fresh install? A fresh install would be advisable. Have you tried running the game in Win98 compatability mode?

You should be able to change AGP speed in the BIOS.

Borand

Fledgling Freddie
Kalid said:
Seems like a driver problem. Tried reinstall the driver? Which driver are you using?

I haven't tried that but I only installed the new drivers the other day after I had upgraded to Windows XP.

CliffyG said:
Did you do an upgrade or fresh install? A fresh install would be advisable. Have you tried running the game in Win98 compatability mode?

You should be able to change AGP speed in the BIOS.

I upgraded from Windows 98 to Windows XP, so I kept everything on the PC that was there previously. How do I run DAoC in Win98 compatibility mode?

Also, there is no option to change the AGP speed in my BIOS for some reason, that's why I had to use Powerstrip in the past.

Borand

Fledgling Freddie
Just figured out how to run it in Win98 compatibility mode, tried it and didn't help :(

Fearing I'm going to have to format the whole hdd to fix this :/

CliffyG

Fledgling Freddie
A format is definately a last resort but may be needed if you can't solve with any other problems.

To put in Win98 compatability mode right click on the shortcut you use to start the game. Click the compatability tab and tick the box, select Win98 from the dropdown. If it doesn't work try one of the other modes. If it still doesnt work try to download some older versions of the drivers and give them a go in standard and in compatability modes.

As to AGP speed if you can't change in the drivers im not sure where else to find them, if you post you motherboard make and model i might be able to tell you where to change it.

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Make sure that you have the latest chipset drivers too. You don't state your motherboard and/or chipset in your system specs, but since you have an AMD I assume that it's running on a VIA chipset (most common).

Check http://www.viaarena.com

Borand

Fledgling Freddie
Never mind, decided to just do format the PC and do a fresh install of Windows XP which seems to have solved the problem. I think I must have had some old graphics card drivers or something that was causing the glitch :twak:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom