Andriod virus

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Not at all, Apple has had quite a few cases were apps run malicious code. My favourite was the recent "torch" app, that actually allowed users to jailbreak their phone :) Apple stamped the app for approval without checking what it did...

All apps on the app store for android tell you what system resources they have access too, so for example, if you downloaded this media player it would say " ability to make calls and send messages" these are the permissions the app has, and cannot be hidden or faked by the maker. So if you install a media player that has permissions to send sms's, you are likely to be the same kind of person that clicks every link in emails.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
when was the last time anyone who considers themself computer savvy got a virus? I havent had one in ages

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
when was the last time anyone who considers themself computer savvy got a virus? I havent had one in ages
4 years ago, and that was at a LAN party when a major trojan was doing the rounds.
Not a single thing since.
I've had 3 infections total in 13 years of owning a PC.
I had 3 a year when I had an Amiga. :)

I'm not particularly concerned about malware on Android because it requires 2 things.
1) Allowing apps that ask for more perms than they need.
2) Allowing apps from unknown sources.

The first is easy to do because how many people actually read the screen before hitting "Install"?
The second is more difficult because it requires going into Settings > Applications > tick Unknown Sources
"Joe Public" won't necessarily have been into that setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom