And you thought GOA was bad when they raised their subscription costs?

L

longshot

People are already starting to whine about it on various boards, so let me get straight to the facts.

According to the new SWG website, not only does it cost $15 per month to play this game, but Europeans also have to pay 17.5% VAT on top of that as an added bonus.

Furthermore, from what I can gather, the same is going to happen with EQ starting July. It appears that some law has been passed recently regarding this, so we might see other companies doing the same soon. Could be that this will end up affecting those European players who are playing on US servers - who knows?

Just thought people might want to know about this since I didn't see anyone post about it here. Sorry if somebody did and I somehow missed it.

G

Gadd

holy s**t, thats ridiculous. what kind of law says we have to pay more??? swg is expensive enough as it is we don't need to pay bloody VAT on it!!!! i'm disgusted!!!

V

Vell

We already pay VAT on our DAoC subscription - well, the French version of VAT anyway. 19.6% I think.

But that's included in the price we already pay, so at least our subscriptions won't be going up.

V

vargen

lol.. why would anyone pay that much monney for such a shitty game.

S

Subbiz

Originally posted by Vell
We already pay VAT on our DAoC subscription - well, the French version of VAT anyway. 19.6% I think.

But that's included in the price we already pay, so at least our subscriptions won't be going up.

/salute to GOA if thats true :)

T

The Kingpin

Woah, we already have it cheap.

Adding 17.5% tax to £15 a month, is going to get costly for a game. as you already have to pay to buy the damn thing.

Mise well stay loged on 24/7 and get ya moneys worth of bandwidth.

S

SilverHood

its $15 + VAT

so in effect, $17.61

thats over ten quid per month at current exchange rates

do yanks not pay some form of VAT too?

I remember when I was over there, and saw an icecream for 7 bucks, and it was 8 and a bit cos I had to add tax too it as well

anyone know?

A

Archeon

lol, wonder how long all the kiddies using their mummys credit cards will get away with playing that. Maybe the game won't be riddled with 1337 h4><><0r's after all :)

L

longshot

So basically, we're being punished because of a 10 year old banana dispute. Somehow that strikes as being quite hillarious... the tactics that the EU and US governments are using remind me of the tactics used when I was a little kid... ie. if you do this, I'll do that to punish you and I'll tell my mother about it as well!

D

Damon_D

Didn't..nahh I'm not going there...feeking shid..15£ + tax..thats close to 200,- dkr ..god danm that will buy me 6x30 beer's if I go a trip acrosse the boarder...thats thas insane !!!!!

O

old.Halfpint

Hehe Damon, your a troll after my own heart, measuring things in the amount of beer it will convert to ;)

T

Tank Init

that wierd i never paid tax when i paid for my UO account and i was paying that to the usa

G

Galewyr Dark

came about from Freeserve complaining about AOL [and others, trying to simplify it a bit] not having to pay TAX for the servcies they provide in the UK. So now it works that any company form outside of the EU providing a service into the EU has to pay VAT. Which VAT it is escapes me atm but i 'think' its local to the payee [the gamer].

yah..great init :/

N

-Nxs-

Originally posted by SilverHood
I remember when I was over there, and saw an icecream for 7 bucks, and it was 8 and a bit cos I had to add tax too it as well

anyone know?

Different states have different taxes, if you went to florida there is a sales tax on most goods. that price needs to be added, so you will see items marked at $7 but when the cashier runs it through the till it will be more.

E

edoa

Indeed

Originally posted by Galewyr Dark
came about from Freeserve complaining about AOL [and others, trying to simplify it a bit] not having to pay TAX for the servcies they provide in the UK. So now it works that any company form outside of the EU providing a service into the EU has to pay VAT. Which VAT it is escapes me atm but i 'think' its local to the payee [the gamer].

yah..great init :/

Indeed FUCK EU

K

Kharok Svark

There has long been an ongoing internet dispute about various duties and taxes.

Much of it around 'Point of Supply' ruling, but where is the 'point of Supply' ?

You use a local client for DAoC and (I) sit in the UK, but the server you connect to is based in France.

Every country in the world views things in a different way, so they can get their hands on ...

... taxes, Taxes, TAXES ... meanwhile at work I now have to fill in stupid EU returns :(

Oh well ... only 3 things in life are certain and taxes are one of them ...

R

Roo Stercogburn

Originally posted by Damon Doombring
Didn't..nahh I'm not going there...feeking shid..15£ + tax..thats close to 200,- dkr ..god danm that will buy me 6x30 beer's if I go a trip acrosse the boarder...thats thas insane !!!!!

Damon you crossed the border a loooooong time ago :D

Nice here, innit :D

E

edoa

Well well

Only positive is that the dollar is so weak against the swedish Krona that it it wont cost more the it used to.

T

The Kingpin

Damon for president, and Mushrooms for all!

Feel the love :clap: :clap:

S

Stonebits

I still think we should become the 51st (or whatever) state of America :clap:

Sod Europe...

G

Gadd

Originally posted by Stonebits
I still think we should become the 51st (or whatever) state of America :clap:

Sod Europe...

i'd rather die ....

N

Nichneven

Re: Well well

Originally posted by edoa
Only positive is that the dollar is so weak against the swedish Krona that it it wont cost more the it used to.

Yeah dollar is quite messed up atm. Economy sucks, Euro is doing well, what the hell is happening here? :p

1.67 to the pound and rising. Bloody hell. :rolleyes:

N

Nichneven

Originally posted by Gadd
i'd rather die ....

well since your life's a glitch all you got left to do is die so might as well move over here ;)

C

chi_

It's about £1 extra, not exactly a huge amount. You can probably get around it easily anyway. I pay for SB, a game officially only open to the US, using a fake address, and I don't need to pay any tax on it.

C

chi_

But either way it's a moot point. Why pay slightly more for a game which isn't worth it anyway?

N

n00b79

Re: Indeed

Originally posted by edoa
Indeed FUCK EU

FUCK YOU, EU is the only damn thing that can stand up to the american bastards, go and lick some american ass you dirty fascist.

K

Kharok Svark

Re: Re: Indeed

Originally posted by n00b79
FUCK YOU, EU is the only damn thing that can stand up to the american bastards, go and lick some american ass you dirty fascist.

If I was you, i would check what your house is made of, before you throw those stones :-P

F

Falcon

The problem is for us Brits is that all that being part of the EU has done is cost Joe Public money from their own pockets, sure there are benefits provided by it but they're benefits that Joe Public never, or very rarely gets to see or notices.

If you want to blame anyone for this tax blame Freeserve, they whine and whine and whine about everything but this time their whine has cost us cash, and a fairly noticeable amount at the same time. Do yourselves a favour, if you use Freeserve, switch ISP and when they ask you why you wanted to leave Freeserve tell them that you couldn't afford their service due to having to pay taxes on other services you use as of July the 1st.

On a side note, about the SWG/EQ subscription cost, remember that SOE do a all access subscription that lets you play Planetside, SWG, EQ, soon EQ2 and whatever other MMOGs they offer, it'd perhaps be cheaper if you use that if you play all those games like me.

O

old.Tycho

Originally posted by Galewyr Dark
came about from Freeserve complaining about AOL [and others, trying to simplify it a bit] not having to pay TAX for the servcies they provide in the UK

And, as we all know, Freeserve are owned by Wannadoo, who also own Goa........so its actually ALL GOA's FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

(just kidding, im not a 'blame goa for everything' player, but this was just to good an opportunity to pass up :clap: :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom