Can't get enough of FH
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Rannie Yoo

(415) 777-4000

rannie@kohnkecomm.com

MYTHIC ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES

DARK AGE OF CAMELOT: CATACOMBS

Instanced Content Makes its Debut in New Retail Expansion

FAIRFAX, VA – APRIL 14, 2004 – Mythic Entertainment, developer and publisher of the award-winning massively multiplayer online role-playing game Dark Age of Camelot, today announced Dark Age of Camelot: Catacombs™, a retail expansion that introduces new challenges based on underground environments. The expansion will upgrade player character art throughout Dark Age of Camelot, add fresh content and challenges to the game, and introduce new player classes. Mythic plans to make Catacombs available in December 2004.

“Catacombs deepens the world of Dark Age of Camelot by adding new content beneath Albion, Hibernia, and Midgard,” said Matt Firor, Vice President of Development and Executive Producer at Mythic Entertainment. “Instanced dungeons support a more casual gaming style by giving players exclusive play sessions for groups of all levels and abilities.”

Catacombs’ system of “player versus monster” instanced dungeons will allow more casual players of Dark Age of Camelot to quickly find and adventure in exciting and challenging areas geared to their level. By eliminating the need to search (and sometimes wait) for monster encounters, in Catacombs, players generate private adventuring areas for their groups on their schedule.

New technical features for Catacombs include:

Major art upgrade to Dark Age of Camelot player character models utilizing the EMotion FX 2 graphics engine that provides more detailed facial features, hairstyles, and skin tones as well as enhanced armor, clothing options and character animations.
Instanced content will allow player groups to adventure in “private” dungeons.

New content for Catacombs includes:

Players can explore a new underground city for each Realm based on the backstory of one of the Realm’s underground player races. Each city leads to new dungeons, catacombs, enemies, loot and adventures.
One new playable class for each Realm.
Content will be provided for all character levels.

About Dark Age of Camelot: Catacombs

Catacombs is an expansion pack for Dark Age of Camelot in which players are given the opportunity to explore underground cities – with attached adventuring areas – based on the backstory of one underground player race per Realm. Many of these new adventures will be instanced, giving the player the chance to explore the underground world of Catacombs on their own schedule. The expansion features a major art upgrade to player character models that provides more detailed facial features, hairstyles, skin tones as well as enhanced armor and clothing options. The expansion also introduces one new player class per Realm.

About Mythic Entertainment

Mythic Entertainment is one of the most successful online game developers in the industry today. Credited with 14 online games, including the award winning Dark Age of Camelot, Mythic has played a major part in the evolution of the online game industry. The company’s other titles are some of the most popular online-only games of all time, including Aliens Online, Starship Troopers: Battlespace, Godzilla Online, Silent Death Online, Rolemaster: Magestorm, Darkness Falls, Splatterball and Dragon’s Gate. In 2003, Mythic was ranked 36 in Inc. 500. Mythic was also named one of Deloitte & Touche’s national “Technology Fast 500”companies and regional “Technology Fast 50” companies for the past two years. For more information about Mythic Entertainment, visit www.mythicentertainment.com.

No comment tbh

Sigurd

Banned
About time casual gamers got something... still skeptical about it though.

Smurflord

Fledgling Freddie
I wear some jeans and a t-shirt when playing. Does that make me a casual gamer too?

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
I'm a little skeptical Vs the new classes, I didn't appreciate being told to kindly fuck off when playing my zerk because savages suddenly became TEH WIN. :p

I just hope to god these new classes don't pretty much ruin the game for some other classes by being 1000 times better. :)

Mind besides that it looks pretty good, hopefully the dungeons will be for a large level range such as 15-50, It would be nice to see intanced dungeons for lower levels as it's terribly annoying when going to the lower level dungeons and most decent placed are camped.

Looks good so far. :)

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Smurflord said:
I wear some jeans and a t-shirt when playing. Does that make me a casual gamer too?

Depends on if you wear Trainers or Shoe's tbh

And the casual gamer part was Mythics part not mine.

Seems to me they are trying to get the type of people who will leave to WoW to stick with DAOC by includeing some of the ideas used in WoW.

But how on earth Instanced dungeons will help the so called casual gamer.

If the items are worse than ToA ones who's gonna bother ?

But if the items are better in these dungeons wont they be camed 24-7 by the so called "power gamers"

Smurflord

Fledgling Freddie
Hopefully they will be on a par with TOA items, but with different types of abilities.

katt!

Fledgling Freddie
Garok said:
But if the items are better in these dungeons wont they be camed 24-7 by the so called "power gamers"

Do you 1) understand what instanced mean? or did you 2) not just read the first post?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Garok said:
Depends on if you wear Trainers or Shoe's tbh

And the casual gamer part was Mythics part not mine.

Seems to me they are trying to get the type of people who will leave to WoW to stick with DAOC by includeing some of the ideas used in WoW.

But how on earth Instanced dungeons will help the so called casual gamer.

If the items are worse than ToA ones who's gonna bother ?

Thought the idea of instanced dungeons was that you got your own dungeon / or a dungeon for the group you are with. Therefore how ever many ppl go they get a dungeon .. therefore you can camp them 24/7 without affecting anyone else ...

Or am I wrong ?

CliffyG

Fledgling Freddie
You're not wrong. It's just like Lost Dungeons of Norrath for EQ which in my opinion added a lot to EQ. Sounds like a good idea, i'd like to see only random drops from them though but with matched skills / attrib for stats. Would mean that a casual player would get a chance to have the best in the game.

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
CliffyG said:
You're not wrong. It's just like Lost Dungeons of Norrath for EQ which in my opinion added a lot to EQ. Sounds like a good idea, i'd like to see only random drops from them though but with matched skills / attrib for stats. Would mean that a casual player would get a chance to have the best in the game.

Oh right .. well that is a sounds like a great idea .... I must of misunderstood and was under the inpression that it ment the part of the dungeon that you were in was locked and only those you invited in could enter ..

meerclar

Can't get enough of FH
the instanced dungeon system worked really well in anarchy online.
this is just the sort of thing that would keep me in DAoC.
imagine how its going to improve these forums too...
no more whines about camp stealing.

Serdan

Fledgling Freddie
Funny thing about this expansion is that the idea of private dungeons was under development in the cancelled game from Microsoft named "Mythica". :)
Sort of : "you take our name - we take your game" stuff :))

Still, I'm not completely sure how the engine would judge what content is appropriate for a group, cause 8ppl level 50 very often does not match to another 8ppl level 50. One group can barely kill reds, another bashing through high purples like knife'n'butter. Skill difference even more significant at lower levels. Maybe will be some kind of slider "easy-tough"? :)

Anyhow, its still too early to say anything about Catacombs. Let us live out to Frontiers at first. :)

Deepfat

Fledgling Freddie
Still going to WoW I'm afriad. Short of being offered to money to carry on playing there's nothing that will keep me here. Still frantically trying to get new content/challenge out of playing the PvP server but it's still essentially the same thing really as the other servers.

Guess I'm just kinda burnt out :(

Balbor

Fledgling Freddie
ther was some TV show on Bravo the other day with a feature on the new UO game that have dungeons like this. Problem as ever is that new areas make old ones pointless, maybe they should go back and redo the exp/drops of the old world mobs and areas a Bit.

meerclar

Can't get enough of FH
redoing the old areas wont make them less camped.
the instanced dungeons will ensure that you always have a spot to level in regardless of how many necros are pl`ing ppl in the area.

PJS

Fledgling Freddie
Woot, Planetside for Daoc then Planetside:Core Combat for Daoc too :p

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
meerclar said:
redoing the old areas wont make them less camped.
the instanced dungeons will ensure that you always have a spot to level in regardless of how many necros are pl`ing ppl in the area.

i just so bloody hope Mythic wont make them caves some fucking PL orgasm....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom