..and somebody gave these idiots jobs?

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Every single time I see something like this, I die a little inside...

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
if the local authorities dont look after you then its pretty certain you couldnt look after your self, its just a fact of britain!

thought id chuck this into the shit churner. the whole fucking place goes down the pot more each day.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6210532.stm

mank!

Part of the furniture
i burnt my mouth on a mince pie last week :(

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
to be fair the council are just making sure there is little room for a backlash, tho its a bit extreme it makes sense

tris-

Sparx said:
to be fair the council are just making sure there is little room for a backlash, tho its a bit extreme it makes sense

i will give you some fucking back lash sonny jim!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It's not that ridicilous if you don't read the list one by one. As a whole, it's probably just as normal a list that goes into any public events.

If i had a nut-allergy(har har i aer gay yes i know) and the pies might have some, i'd like to be warned about it.

"Caution: Eating this pie might kill you, have fun!"

tris-

old.Tohtori said:
It's not that ridicilous if you don't read the list one by one. As a whole, it's probably just as normal a list that goes into any public events.

If i had a nut-allergy(har har i aer gay yes i know) and the pies might have some, i'd like to be warned about it.

"Caution: Eating this pie might kill you, have fun!"

the point is it should be upto you to find out if the food contains nuts. as it is in the UK its not a legal requirement to put on the pack that it may contain nuts etc but its done to protect them selves.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
IF you've got a nut allergy you wouldn't be eating mince pies tbfh!

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
I think it's preventing natural selection.

Seriously, if you've got a nut allergy that could kill you, do you just rely on every thing being bloody sign posted for you or do you use a bit of initiative and ask?

We've managed to survive decades without this sort of nannying, why the hell do we need it now?

"Well yes, the deceased had an allergy to tinsel. I think it's a disgrace. I mean who'd have thought there'd be tinsel at a christmas party in this day and age? They need to warn people!"

I think common sense is fast becoming a thing of the past.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
To be honest I didn't even know offhand that mince pies had nuts in - I thought it was mainly fruit. Ignorance on my behalf I guess, lawl. Anyhow, the trouble with 'asking' is that it's quite likely that nobody there would have bothered to find out beforehand, and probably not have realised that the packaging (and ingredients/allergy list) might be relevant later - since, as demonstrated all the time, those without any kind of food allergy don't really give much thought to those with.
I come across this all the time with my gluten intolerance - you go someplace, they've got bowls of crisps going round. It's not necessarily at all straightforward to find out if it's safe for me to eat or not, even ignoring the dumb possibility of contamination via people's hands or other food or whatever. Am I really going to go through the trash in an effort to find out whether it's safe to eat crisps? Obviously if I can't find out I just have to avoid it altogether, and that's the sort of thing that happens far too fucking often.

Edit - so in that sense I wouldn't say it necessarily poses much of a 'risk' that needs to be assessed, but the hosts not looking out for this shit at all would be pretty thoughtless.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
On a related note, I remember a story of a friend of a friend with gluten (i.e. wheat) intolerance, going to a restaurant one time. They were interested in the pâté, and spent a pretty long time talking to the waiter, who was going back and forth between their table and the chef in the kitchen, ensuring that it contained no gluten of any kind. Having confirmed this to their satisfaction, they ordered it as a starter - only for it to arrive on slices of bread.

Food allergies suck.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
You make a fair point but in reality it's just hugely impractical for a bunch of old dears who're organising a little village party to put that much effort into it. Similarly if a mate throws a house party it's not reasonable to expect him to have checked every single food he's dishing out that night for specific allergies.

Large scale, professional events could be expected to consider these things but in all honesty people just wont bother with small scale events eventually because of all the hassle involved.

You've got an allergy to gluten. I've got a mate who's deathly allergic to eggs. I also know someone who's deathly allergic to nuts. My sister's allergic to a ton of stuff. That's just to name three out of hundreds of possibile allergies anyone turning up to a gathering could have. How practical is it for small scale events to go into so much detail?

It is a pain in the arse you've got to either not eat the food or hope the packet's available before you eat stuff but how's anyone organising a small scale event to know about your specific allergy and cater to you and the hundreds of other people with allergies who *might* turn up?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Am I allowed to make a PC Britain gone mad statement at this point?

I dont think Ill bother, its so GLARINGLY FUCKING OBVIOUS its not worth the effort.

Ive started working for Barclaycard in the last few weeks, I could not believe the shit they make you do. Like they give you each a cheque book style thing so if you think someone needs extra recognition for thier work you give them a cheque. And of course if you dont give anyone cheques thats a bad mark against YOU as you must be maladjusted.
I had to watch an hour long video about how to speak to the disabled today.

ARRGGHGHHHH!!! :eek:

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
WPKenny said:
but how's anyone organising a small scale event to know about your specific allergy and cater to you and the hundreds of other people with allergies who *might* turn up?
Hell, even just making sure you keep the packaging around would be a good start.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
throdgrain said:

Mentally or physically? Because if it's the latter, that's pretty offensive.

mank!

Part of the furniture
"don't stare at their crippling injuries"
"don't turn your head sidewards so you're level with a downy"

i'd quite like a mince pie right now.

Lester

One of Freddy's beloved
throdgrain said:
Am I allowed to make a PC Britain gone mad statement at this point?

I dont think Ill bother, its so GLARINGLY FUCKING OBVIOUS its not worth the effort.

Ive started working for Barclaycard in the last few weeks, I could not believe the shit they make you do. Like they give you each a cheque book style thing so if you think someone needs extra recognition for thier work you give them a cheque. And of course if you dont give anyone cheques thats a bad mark against YOU as you must be maladjusted.

Jesus Christ Throd. Barclaycard?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
throdgrain said:

Elaborate please.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
mank said:
i'd quite like a mince pie right now.
First thing I am doing tomorrow on my way to work is popping into a Greggs and getting mince pies :)

tris-

Louster said:
Hell, even just making sure you keep the packaging around would be a good start.

couldnt that pose a fire risk having cardboard boxes around?

im just trying to be at the councils level btw.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
nath said:
Mentally or physically? Because if it's the latter, that's pretty offensive.

Both actually. I dont find it offensive from that perspective, more that I have to sit through an hour video telling me not to say "oh are you wheelchair bound" and instead say "oh, I didnt know you used a wheechair".
Personally Id have gone for "what are you meant to be, and extra for chorlton and the wheelies?" , but then Im probably the only one who would remember that.

Jesus Christ Throd. Barclaycard?

Well, a mans got to live :( Its a way of getting me through the winter, until throdbikes (tm) starts up in the spring (hopefully). On the positive side, its bloody warm and clean, both are things Im not used to.

They are so sad it scares me. Yesterday we had a meeting to decide the theme , yes, the bloody theme, of the christmas decorations for our part of the office.
When pushed for an idea, I suggested a cheese theme, with various cheeses adorning the desks and computers. Only a couple of people thought it was funny, the rest just looked confused :(
In fairness, Im in my 3rd week now, and have already starting talking about badgers. I feel I am on a quest to take the piss out of them until they either chill the fuck out, die, or sack me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom