An interesting look at Horizons

O

old.Vae

You can read that but make sure you get some views from the beta testers about how poor and bugged the beta version (Once they lift the NDA which is still in force 2 days before the Euro release - doesn't that tell you something about the game...) was before you decide to buy.

Now David Bowman (head developer) claims that what is in the beta is not the release version. Whether you believe him or not is another matter...

Oh and also if you are Euro and want to play on US servers with your US friends etc (the games are locked by your IP/billing address to certain servers) be prepared to have to pay an additional fee for the privilege of an international account which they have still to confirm if they will implement or not and they have said they will only be confirming this on 9th Dec when the US release is.

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by old.Vae
make sure you get some views from the beta testers about how poor and bugged the beta version was
Not as bad and about the same amount of bugs as DAoC has now so no probs there.

Oh and also if you are Euro and want to play on US servers with your US friends etc (the games are locked by your IP/billing address to certain servers) be prepared to have to pay an additional fee for the privilege of an international account which they have still to confirm if they will implement or not and they have said they will only be confirming this on 9th Dec when the US release is.
Same as most games, separate EU and US servers, don't see any problems here either.

O

old.Vae

Originally posted by Jonaldo
Not as bad and about the same amount of bugs as DAoC has now so no probs there.

Same as most games, separate EU and US servers, don't see any problems here either.

Not quite the same - If I want to play US daoc I can import a copy - with Horizons it doesn't matter if I import a copy or not I still end up on the Euro servers unless I'm willing to pay extra per month to upgrade my account.

F

Fafnir

Seems they have underestemated the demand for the game release dates in EU varies between the 5th and 12th. Have to wait 7 bleeding days extra to get the game :( Will loose out alot as crafter.

S

Stekkerdoos

Pfew, good i ordered my copies very soon, got an email at 3 dec that i have 4x horizons coming to me :D

And to add something to this thread, i was a beta tester too. Not very long tho, i joined in when they were at patch 6.5.x and when the beta was over i had a 11 mage/11 scholar so its not like im a veteran and i didnt play a lot of mmorpgs, daoc was my first mmorpg actually so maybe some things i thought were great and new might already exist in other mmorpgs. Just sharing my experience with the game.

I really liked the fact i had to buy most of my spells, searching merchants for a good spell or crafting one yourself if you have the right formula.

Yes, there are still bugs in Horizons, but i havent found any that ruined the gaming fun for me, at the other hand i'm not "mr casual gamer" as i have heard someone say on an other forum.
Im really happy with the crafting system. As a scholar for example, getting new formulas for new spells, checking the merchants to see which spells are being sold a lot and which arent and at what price. Choose what spells you are going to sell and at what price, and later see the messages your spells have been bought and realising you need to craft some more of those *insert spell name here* A.S.A.P, cause they sell very good! ;)

There also is a lot more that made me enthousiastic, like the abilitie to build your own house, create a community.
All the different classes with the trainers "hidden" in istaria were also very intresting, and i like the idea you need to raise certain skills to become one of the classes,wanted to become a conjurer but didnt found a way to get my summoning higher as a mage (anyone who knows ? :p )

Only negative thing i encountered was the performance during an event and many people who were at that event with me too.
I don't have a monster machine atm, but an XP 1800+, 512 DDR, GF3 ti500 is above the minumum spec for sure. It was at Aughundel where the undead were attacking, when i exited the teleport my fps already were pretty low, but when i was at the frontline everything was running at 2-5 fps and casting took an eternity so there also was a lot of lag.
I hope they will work on that, i saw performance increase a lot during the last few patches.

F

Fafnir

lol talked to the store i preorderd from, they have 40 games in store, but are not allowed to sell the until the 12th. Think this is very strange. But the guy proved it by sending me a pic with the games on and he sitting next to them. FFS ATARI are you stupid?

S

Stekkerdoos

very strange indeed, even more if you look at when the servers open. At 5 december if im right, the EU ones at least, dont really know about US

F

Fafnir

Well they changed again, to many angry gamers :D

O

old.GeForce

sounds interesting, looks a bit pants.. :(

O

old.Vae

Just in case you lived in europe but wanted to play with american friends or vice versa you can have the pleasure of paying nearly an additional 40% on your monthly subscription for the pleasure...

NelsonT - *Kheldon* What purpose does the "TransAtlantic account" have and why is there an extra
fee/subscription on it? Does it provide anything more than other games that allow you to play on
whichever server you wish?
Eski-AE - The main purpose of the TransAtlantic account has is the service and quality we are
delivering to the customers. Both AE and GM are working to provide localized support for the
territories. This being said all we have done is extended this service to those who wish to play
in either territory by placing a small fee which only covers costs.

NelsonT - -[ Duckbill ]- Question: Could you clarify how the Transatlantic Account thing will work
? Are we apying for access to all servers or only if we want the 5 extra char slots?
Eski-AE - The TransAtlantic account gives you access to all servers available to the public that
are located in either Europe or North America. This is an additional $5 per month charge. We also
have given this Cdkey five more character slots. These slots are not restricted to 5 in North
America and 5 in Europe.
Eski-AE - You are simply awarded 10 character slots in total and can create characters and any of
the shards in either territory. So your motivation to upgrading your account could be for the
additional slots or the additional shards (more friend fun)… your choice.

K

Kahland

horizons is poo, so is eve, so is swg, until there comes a better game than daoc, i'll stay in daoc 8]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom