An idea for housing

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
Well i dislike housing, and i was thinking of ways in which it could be improved

Its a right pain running to and fro, getting to a merchant, searching it to buy the item you want. Only to find that you cannot enter that persons home, and the rest of the 'village' have also blocked entrry.

Now i know in a later release they will be going to remove area walls, and that you can buy directly off the ME, but instead of doing that, why not have a radical rethink on what it is housing is supposed to be achieving?

My idea would be to replace the main cities of camelot and the other 2 realms with an actual city of homes -arranged something like Minas Tirth from LOTR. Thes cities would then become more populated with people, within which you could build community areas etc.

What does everyone else think?

cheers

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Its not a bad idea.

I always thought that while the individual housing system and ME was ok in itself, its integration into the game was very bad. It just feels bolted on and not actually part of the game world.

What I'd like to see, as you suggest, is an overhaul of the major cities in the game which integrate housing into them. At the same time, the outlying villages and way stations, should also have housing lots that can be purchased, thus giving each of these areas more of a population and additional facilities to any players who happen to be hunting in that region.

Of course these prime site plots would go for a pretty penny and it is quite annoying in this game when you see a prime housing plot owned and occupied by someone who doesn't actually play anymore. I'm not sure what system can be employed to get round this, but I'd welcome any suggestion to get rid of "dead plots" so to speak.

The purchasing off the ME thing does sound like a neat idea, but really all it does show is how badly implemented housing is in this game. The actual physical graphical representation of each housing plot becomes quite meaningless, as most player interaction with them will be through the ME menu screen. In a way the houses themselves become a waste of space.

Neverever

Fledgling Freddie
There are city's and villages in everyzone. Make those house avaible for the players. . If a house is not entered by the owner within 4 months the house is for sale again.

This will make camelot a busy city again like in the old days. Now its a ghost town like alot of other places.

There need to be a place where all player merchant can sell there stuff to in the city's.

A seprate housing zone where i have to run for hours to find that house that sell that thing 1 want is boring. ( if i could order direct of the market merchant at the gate then it was a little better).

DavidH

Part of the furniture
I'd really like to see some 'apartments' and stuff too. More places to live. Its so boring with like 4 types of houses, and they all look the same. Housing is without doubt the most boring place in daoc.

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Ah hell. Lets make a skyscraper. Enough room for everyone.

WiZe^

Can't get enough of FH
Gifve Hugh hefner's playboy maison +bunnies imo ;)

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Now the old realms and cities are dead, this isnt a bad notion. Replace the towns like Fort Atla, Galplen with housing areas, and make them part of the scenery.

Lets face it, the current conecpt of housing is extreemly wrong, no weewolves peeing on lamp posts, no timber cats going through the garbage, no giant bears propping up the bar in the taverns. Pubs too, they are there, but nothing is happening.

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
old.Whoodoo said:
Pubs too, they are there, but nothing is happening.

Would these things be used more on a roleplaying server. On Excal and Pryd, roleplayers get pretty much mocked so these roleplaying bits of fluff don't get used by a population which predominantly has no interest in it.

GOA or Mythic would actually have to put some content in those buildings to make them relevant and interesting for the excal/pryd players to visit.

Neverever

Fledgling Freddie
In ultimaonline the housing was everywhere the city's where big market place where everyone sold there stuff that couldn't be sold on the merchants. The great thing about that if you had a good house where good merchants where you had a recall stone/book so you could transport you to that place. Sure there was much lag because of that,but nowadays that should not be a issue. In daoc you have city's that are dead make them usefull again by renting/selling that house to guilds our ppl. That will make the city's alive again.

And for those persoons that are so helpfull to post a good conversation like:

WiZe^and Aoln

Go to offtopic and post youre very usefull post there. Ppl like you make me leave a good game like daoc good be without kids like you.

Adoctor

Fledgling Freddie
any one here every played crossbows and catapults as kid?

i think if would be great if you and a mate could set up seiege weps and try and destroy each others houses :)

the damage would only be graphic and be reset after the fight.

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Adoctor said:
any one here every played crossbows and catapults as kid?

i think if would be great if you and a mate could set up seiege weps and try and destroy each others houses :)

the damage would only be graphic and be reset after the fight.

would be quite bad to come home after a 36 hour siege and 2 hours repairing to find out that your house got fucked over aswell.

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
Sendraks said:
I doubt it, he's probably just as sick of seeing stupid posts as I am.

well, this is a forum, where people can post what they want, aslong as it's within the rules ofc. FH would be terribly boring without alot of the stupid posts. Like it or not.
You have the choice to simply stop reading, but I guess you wont, seeing as you still read the posts, even though you claim they are stupid, my guess is you get something out from it after all. Otherwise you wouldnt read it. Whining about people posting on a forum is useless, since you are as stupid when doing it. Can be argued that whining about people whining about whining is even worse, mayhaps, but I aint trying to put myself above the average poster either, and admit I sometimes post stupid posts. So what if I do? :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Without stupid posts Teh Seel wouldn't exist! It's an interrga...inteegra...big part of Teh Seel as well as oddiness or carrots.

I shaltnot, wilt not, wont not stand idle while you people come in with your fancy wordings, presicion english and non snipish comments and bring ruin to the legacy of barrysworld! :touch: at thee!

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
/gives seel a halfopened can of tuna..

go play! ;)

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Shike said:
well, this is a forum, where people can post what they want, aslong as it's within the rules ofc. FH would be terribly boring without alot of the stupid posts. Like it or not.

By your own definition, we are equally entitled to comment if we find certain posts stupid. I agree that FH would be boring without the occasional stupid post, but that does not seem to be in any danger of happening.

Shike said:
You have the choice to simply stop reading, but I guess you wont, seeing as you still read the posts, even though you claim they are stupid, my guess is you get something out from it after all.

Again, by your definition, I am as entitled to my opinion as to the relatively stupidity of any given post, as the posters themselves are to make them. Some threads are enhanced by stupid posts, this is where I keep quiet. This thread, however, strikes me as a good and sensible topic for discussion, not in anyway enhanced by stupidity. If I feel the thread is best served by making this opinion clear, surely it is my best interests to post that opinion?

Shike said:
Can be argued that whining about people whining about whining is even worse, mayhaps, but I aint trying to put myself above the average poster either, and admit I sometimes post stupid posts. So what if I do? :)

I'm not above the average poster and not above posting stupidity myself. That doesn't mean that I can't agree with someone's opinion where they feel posts are to the detriment of a thread.

Neverever

Fledgling Freddie
No i'm not cranky just try to avoid a good topic to be trashed by none post like that. And yes they alway be here and sometimes its funny but i hate to read tons of none info before i see a good answer again.

Kids will be kids but go ruin the offtopic part thats why that part is invented.

Stupid post wich try to be saying something ok but none info post supposed to be funny :puke: .

And how can i read something else if this is the topic i like to read? Its not me that needs to bereading something else its they that need to go doing something else.

But going offtopic here.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Did you people notice that in your fight against off-topic posting you actually hijacked the thread into a discussion about off-topic posting :p

The housing ideais rather nifty in my mind. Would be more "real" in the whole system too.

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:
Did you people notice that in your fight against off-topic posting you actually hijacked the thread into a discussion about off-topic posting :p.

It did occur to me, once I'd posted, that it could've been better handled by a PM. :eek:

I am smote by the iron sword of irony once again. :D

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
thread hijacking / trolling is against the fh rules.....

further on the housing issue i raised at the beginning, whilst the ME fix will improve so that you can go and buy it straight away - i actually like to 'browse' for other crap on ppl's cm's

Also with the release of catacombes - the moving of housing zone into the main cities would really turn it into a community as opposed to what we got at the moment.

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
rampant said:
Also with the release of catacombes - the moving of housing zone into the main cities would really turn it into a community as opposed to what we got at the moment.

I hope so, right now I really do feel that the housing zone could just as easily and effectively be represented as a single menu screen. It would serve the same purpose as what we currently have.

Part of the problem is that the community really seems to hate in game travel. No one wants to travel to the different housing zones, and who can blame them, the zones contain nothing of massive graphical interest to make each trip worthwhile and do take time. The way the houses are laid out precludes much in the way of wandering from house to house "window shopping" and the ME removes the need for that completely.

A nice touch, for the Consignment Merchants, is something that features in the game Morrowind. Shop keepers will wear or equip any particularly valuable items that the player sells them. A CM wearing particularly flash gear would catch the eye of the player and entice them to come over and check out what it is thats being worn.

Armour dummies for housing would be nice as well. They'd function like a vault, but the mannequin could be equipped with any particular items of clothing the player wished to display inside his home.

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
Sendraks said:
By your own definition, we are equally entitled to comment if we find certain posts stupid. I agree that FH would be boring without the occasional stupid post, but that does not seem to be in any danger of happening.

I dont think I ever have seen a thread that sooner or later hasnt fallen victim of the stupidity of some posters, and yes, you are ofc entitled to express your opinion. As we all are :>

Sendraks said:
Again, by your definition, I am as entitled to my opinion as to the relatively stupidity of any given post, as the posters themselves are to make them. Some threads are enhanced by stupid posts, this is where I keep quiet. This thread, however, strikes me as a good and sensible topic for discussion, not in anyway enhanced by stupidity. If I feel the thread is best served by making this opinion clear, surely it is my best interests to post that opinion?

This thread for me, seemed pretty useless since I couldnt care less, so I posted something irrelevant, it is always in the eye of the beholder as you know, I found it useless, and you found it good, result will be a discussion, which is exactly what I feel a forum is made for except pure information. No harm done all in all in my eyes since thread is alive, and we have a nice "arguement" here on the side aswell :) Sure, its a form of "hi-jacking" but a pretty harmless one imo ;)

Sendraks said:
I'm not above the average poster and not above posting stupidity myself. That doesn't mean that I can't agree with someone's opinion where they feel posts are to the detriment of a thread.

ofc, nobody agree's with stupidity that they _see_. I tend to take things more lightly overall and laugh at things :>
Like this:

Sendraks said:
It did occur to me, once I'd posted, that it could've been better handled by a PM. :eek:

I am smote by the iron sword of irony once again. :D

good stuff :>

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
shike can u please fookoff and get yer own thread on thread whinging - this thread is about an idea for housing not a rant thread about ranting!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
rampant said:
shike can u please fookoff and get yer own thread on thread whinging - this thread is about an idea for housing not a rant thread about ranting!

I thought this thread was about me ... :(

Actually on the housing issue. What i'd like to see is actual names on the doors. Not just some floating thingies or whatnot they use these days(haven't seen daoc houses so :p )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom