Amsterdam!

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Going to Amsterdam this weekend - I've never been before, so can anyone recommend things to do and places to see?

Things to consider: Weed makes me fall asleep, I'm married and I'm going with my husband, and I'm about as cultured as a brick, so no art galleries please :p

Staffzor

Fledgling Freddie
Eat a Barneys burger and smoke a fat spliff, it was what was recomended for me to do, and I really enjoyed that, ofc go to the red light district even tho you are happily married it is still an experience. I believe it was amnesia haze that I had out there, from the coffee shop amnesia (that was a really nice smoke). I also remember seeing a giant red cock and balls statue I might have just been ultra stoned (That was the cultured side of the trip :p )

Oh, also beware of the godamn cyclists with dodgy bikes, and the trams of d00m :< they scared the hell outta me one evening when I was leaving Barneys. Hmm, now that I am thinking of things to be a little wary of, if you stay in The Winston (right by the red light district) then wear ear plugs in the night :eek7:

Enjoy the trip, don't look at anyone that psst's to you ;) and don't fall in the canals.

I never went to the sex museum, but that panckake place looks really nice

Congax

Fledgling Freddie
Naetha said:
Going to Amsterdam this weekend - I've never been before, so can anyone recommend things to do and places to see?

Things to consider: Weed makes me fall asleep, I'm married and I'm going with my husband, and I'm about as cultured as a brick, so no art galleries please :p

Go to the cinema ;)
Either Pathé or that pretty polish one (I always forget the name :D)
I recommend the pretty polish one, it's a bit more expensive but well worth seeing a movie in it, a lovely cinema :)

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Most of the mainstream cafes in Amsterdam are horrible tacky places and really not worth your time visiting. There is nice little family run place on the prisengratch just a short walk south of Anne Frank Haus (good, but somewhat sobering), but I wouldn't recommend most of the other places. There was one other little cafe near the vondelpark (an excellent place to visit) but I can't remember what its called. These were two friendly, not seedy like many other places, which is a bonus, as despite the liberal laws concerning cannabis in The Netherlands, the Dutch aren't too fond of it.

Most of the places in the city centre are horribly tacky though, especially around the leidsplein and up towards dam square. Awful bloody tacky tourist shops of every variety, including the sex museum, which is also tacky.

The Prisengratch, the Kreizergratch and herengratch, especially if you head east along them, are very picturesque and have many interesting shops along them with stuff actually worth buying other than tat. They are quieter as well, so you're not endlessly fighting through crowds of people and suspicious individuals who want to sell you "charlie."

The zoo is worth a visit as well. It has an impressive collection of animals that are well cared for and with a specimens I've not seen anywhere else in europe. Some good shops worth browsing in on the way there as well.

Food shops and restaurants are the places to check out in Amsterdam, because by god the dutch know their food and there is such an incredible variety available. I love eating out in Holland, be it traditional Dutch cuisine, Greek or Indonesian, it all tastes so good. My mouth is watering about the thought of the meals I had while I was last there.

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Tualatin said:
whatch your wallet, because others do too ^^

Well said. The Leidsplein in particular, because of all the tourist pubs and cafes, is a hot spot for pick pockets and also people who will steal your cash from you as you try to get some from a cash point.

My advice would be to avoid that area like the plague if at all possible.

Wiro

Fledgling Freddie
Sendraks said:
The Prisengratch, the Kreizergratch and herengratch,

Good luck looking for those, cause you won't find them! :kissit:
Prinsengracht, Keizergracht and Herengracht are more likely to be found.. :m00:

/smartass mode off :p

Wiro

Fledgling Freddie
Congax said:
Go to the cinema ;)
Either Pathé or that pretty polish one (I always forget the name :D)
I recommend the pretty polish one, it's a bit more expensive but well worth seeing a movie in it, a lovely cinema :)

http://www.pathe.nl/tuschinski.asp?bios_id=2
tusch2.jpg

Marczje

Fledgling Freddie
Go to see one of the beatiful buildings 'The Bulldog' has.. should be quite some in Amsterdam :p

You can get hash too, if you prefer!

:p

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Votan said:
Screw A'dam; come to Leiden or Utrecht :cheers:

I was going to mention Leiden, but I thought I'd leave it to you to advertise its many charms mate. :cheers:

Wiro - yeah, they were typos. Like it makes any frikkin difference. ;)

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Best way to avoid pickpockets for your wallet is that the majority of them have a piece of material to hook your wallet onto something...like those circular key chain wannabe things. Put the circle of metal onto your wallet and make a tiny hold in one of your pockets...the side or top of your pocket obviously so stuff doesn't fall out of the bottom :p Then attach your wallet to your pocket, then if someone is going to try and steal your wallet, you're sure gonna know about it.

Not really related to amsterdam specifically but it's something which is useful anywhere :D

faromir

Fledgling Freddie
One of the most useful tools i use when i travel is a bumbag that is worn underneath your clothing - dont even take a wallet!
Not alot a potential 'tea leaf' can do about that - even if they decide to mug you itts unlikly they will find it :p You can pick them up at most camping shops and there cheap and also comfortable to wear! Enjoy Dam.

Phusion

Fledgling Freddie
tbh, de wallen is a must to go when you go to amsterdam, it's part of that city, it belongs to it's culture, everyone who has ever been in amsterdam must have been there once.

or maybe take a boat tour over "de amsterdamse grachten". that is a must too :< ( :puke: ).

i also wouldn't shop there, since it's REALLLLY expensive.

anyways, go and try to find the local VVV in amsterdam, you can get a lot of info about amsterdam etc there.

here is a links where you can find more information about what there is to do in amsterdam:

http://www.holland.com/amsterdam/gb/

so, have fun in amsterdam ;)

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for all the help and advice guys - really looking forwards to it :D

Oh, and just because we're happily married doesn't mean we're not adventurous, or up for practically anything :D

:wij:

Ziva

Fluffy
Avoid "Hooters" if you wanna keep ur hubbie hehe (j/k)

Visit the "Rijksmuseum" for some pretty nice paintings or the "Van Gogh museum", personally i also like the "Condom shop" just cause they have such funky and funny rubbers :D

When u wanna go out i recommand the "Leidseplein" or the "Rembrandtplein" cause there are all kinds of bars and dancingplaces there.

And off course don't forget to take a Canaltrip!!

As for pickpockets, be sure not to take a big bag with you and put ur money on your body preferably. I have lived there allmost my whole life and i've never been robbed so it's not so bad as some people say :D

Have a fun trip!

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
I'll tell you excatly what i was told by my host family when i was an exchange student in Holand a couple of years back before my first visit to Amsterdam.

Do not eat cookies of unknown origin ^^
Do not eat cookies or small cakes if strange people tries to give them too you for free :p.
Do not make fun of the hookers.
Keep an eye out for pickpockets.
Do not wander alone down small shady alleys.

Anyway have fun :)

PS; Dutch people i like your country. I passed 2 whore houses just on my way to school :p And you have Hagelslag, which you can get in both normal and white chocolate. Mmmmm chocolate. Too bad i was only there a week. But trust me i had a bag full of Hagelslag with me when i left :p

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
After you have smoked too much and got the munchies head for 'Shiva', probably the best curry house in Amsterdam :)

Garnet

Fledgling Freddie
Guess im the only one thinking you go to Amsterdam for :cheers: and the :sex: /shrug

Anyway have a good time :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well, here's a Teh Seel guide to Amsterdam(or travelling in particular):

1: Don't keep your cash in your undies. Ok, doesn't get stolen but when you start to dig in your crotch to pay for a dinner, the looks are priceless. Actually do it and take pictures.

2: Empty wallet/empty purse. Find the most useless bag you got in the home and carry it around loosely. The pikkies go for it, leave the cash in your pocket/crotch.

3: Visit Teh Seel in the third(dark) alley. The alley that goes "psst" all the time. No hubbies allowed.

4: Eat what looks edible. Don't, i repeat, DON'T experiment on meat. URgh...ermm...where's the toilet!?!

5: Bottle water. It's not the quality of the water, but your system isn't normally used to different county waters. Unless you want to be "adventurous".

6: Use the first day, when you arrive, to get back into rhytm. Especially in long distance travels. Makes the rest of the vacvac go alot better. No,i don't mean THAT rhytm. Though i can help with it.

7: HAve sex with strangers. Though this only includes oddly speaking, white, fluffy, black eyed and cute little amfibians. :sex:

8: Don't talk to strangers. Unless it's a shopkeep, barkeep, hotelperson, guy you need directions from, taxi driver, ...err...nevermind. Go mingle!

9: You don't need to know part 9. You probably don't do things i do.

10: Have fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, sex, fun, fun fun, fun. And fun.

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Went couple years back when i was 17 first thing we done was go to a coffee shop for a couple hours dont remember the name had a motorbike indoors downstairs and upstairs was painted like a jungle and played Seel and Dolphin noises :eek7: Then we went to mac donalds a small fairground thing and spent about an hour on the dodgems :< Then found a lush clothes shop called CyberDog:

http://www.cyberdog.net/tradingstation/index.cfm

Got some wierd stuff but some really nice things spent nearly 450 euros in there in 20 mins :<

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom