Advice Amitriptyline

russell

FH is my second home
Been put on this today for my migraines. Has anyone any experience of this drug? -yes I have already looked up all the horror stories on the web:(

Sydrik

Resident Freddy
It's one of the more standard TCA's Russell. As with any new medication the side effects are so individualistic it's very hard to tell what will happen. The main thing with this, as your GP/Pharmacist should have explained, will be drowsiness. Make sure you give yourself an extra 20-30 minutes in the morning before driving in case you are affected in this way. There is a high chance of dry mouth during the night as well, keep a glass of water by the bed. If you notice anything really odd with in the next 3-5 days inform your GP straight away and stop taking them, but most patients I have dealt with don't have too many problems.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Trem might be able to help if he sees this thread, he used to have a lot of problems with migraines.

russell

FH is my second home
Thanks guys -never had to take anything like this before! x

MrHorus

Can't get enough of FH
I don't have any experience of it for migraines, though it's moderately sedating when you first start taking it.

Don't drive for a while until you know how you react to it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I took it because I was having pain in the front of my head that was completely debilitating (sp? back from pub) - wasn't the pain that fucked me but the fact that it gave me no choice about sleeping - I needed to sleep and was effectively barely conscious during some working hours.

The Amitriptyline didn't do anything for me so I stopped after about six months. Pain went away after 18, but from the hours of 1:30-3pm I was useless. (Thankfully, I kicked so much arse outside of those times I never lost a contract)

Now, if only they could have done something about my depression :(

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I was put on them a few months back to see if they would reduce the frequency of my Migraines. They didn't really do a lot but I didn't get any side-effects. Side-effects aren't as common as the horror stories would have you believe, there are thousands of people on Amitriptyline and only a small percentage suffer anything other than mild drowsiness.

Having suffered from Migraines since I was 7 (21 years now) I canv ery much sympathise with your plight and I hope that Amitriptyline or some other preventative works as they haven't for me =(

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
First thing that comes to mind; is it really that bad?

Often people these days just go overboard with drugs just to feel Mmmmmm cherry.

Poag

m00?
Oh wow, spooky.

I too take Amitrip for migraines, a small 10mg dosage. I also take propanol for it aswell. It has helped my migraines massively :) Also helps me sleep better at night if i take it before bed :p

russell

FH is my second home
Cool.
I am very wary of taking any pills for anything, but they had got quite bad -no so much the headaches, more the 'aura' symptoms of vertigo, confused speech, fuzzy thinking and tingly/ numb areas on my left hand side. Not nice when you havent been drinking ! -and not really allowing me to operate at the required level of looking after a young family and working F/T. In my job, i cant sit quietly in the corner -i am centre stage, full on all day:)

First night on Amitrip was ok -took 10 mg about 9pm and felt it relaxing me. Slept well -as I always do and woke feeling tired, but no more really than usual. So far, so good. Things maybe different on Monday when I am up at 6.30, not 8.30 and have to drive at 7am! We shall see. Thanks for all your comments guys x

russell

FH is my second home
Oh wow, spooky.

I too take Amitrip for migraines, a small 10mg dosage. I also take propanol for it aswell. It has helped my migraines massively :) Also helps me sleep better at night if i take it before bed :p

what does propanol do?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Ay up Russbacon.

I was put on this when I was younger for depression, it totally fucked me up to be quite frank.

Seems a very strange thing to put you on for migraines, why no painkillers first? Have you tried other stuff or is this the first thing they have put you on? I have http://www.imigranrecovery.co.uk/ for my migraines and it works brilliant, I was taken off it a while back due to the other pills I am on but my new doctors couldn't understand why so they put me back on it. I would suggest buying one (you can buy them over the counter but they are around £7 each) and trying that the next time you have a migraine. Still seems very strange to me that you are on those for migraine.

By the way I get loads less migraines since I was told about feverfew on here (sorry can't remember who told me about it).

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ay up Russbacon.

I was put on this when I was younger for depression, it totally fucked me up to be quite frank.

Seems a very strange thing to put you on for migraines, why no painkillers first? Have you tried other stuff or is this the first thing they have put you on? I have http://www.imigranrecovery.co.uk/ for my migraines and it works brilliant, I was taken off it a while back due to the other pills I am on but my new doctors couldn't understand why so they put me back on it. I would suggest buying one (you can buy them over the counter but they are around £7 each) and trying that the next time you have a migraine. Still seems very strange to me that you are on those for migraine.

By the way I get loads less migraines since I was told about feverfew on here (sorry can't remember who told me about it).
Trem,

https://forums.freddyshouse.com/threads/migraine.227115/#post-3385039

Sydrik

Resident Freddy
Seems a very strange thing to put you on for migraines, why no painkillers first? Have you tried other stuff or is this the first thing they have put you on? I have http://www.imigranrecovery.co.uk/ for my migraines and it works brilliant

Just to answer this point the Amitriptyline will have been given for prophylaxis of the migraines where as Sumatriptan (Imigran) or any other triptan sulfa drugs are used for treatment at the onset.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!

Ahh twas Moriath, I remember now, Moriath deserves massive amounts of Tremsex tbh.

Cheers Deeblar.

Just to answer this point the Amitriptyline will have been given for prophylaxis of the migraines where as Sumatriptan (Imigran) or any other triptan sulfa drugs are used for treatment at the onset.

Cheers for that Sydrik, you learn something new everyday. So was I not prescribed similar because I am already on anti-brain-exploding-in-stress pills?

Sydrik

Resident Freddy
Without knowing the exact anti-brain-exploding-in-stress pill (there are plenty of them) I'd say yes Trem. The idea of using Amitriptyline is that is reduces the stress/tension associated with a migraine. If it was taken in conjunction with other stress relieving tablets it's likely it would Zombify you and as I dont currently work for Umbrella Corp, Z0mb1es are bad mmmkay...

russell

FH is my second home
Thanks, may start Feverfew, as it is a natural remedy. But would I have to stop amitriptyline?

Yes amitriptyline is preventative and I have sumatriptan for the onset of the real thing.

Didnt realise how wide spread migraine is and how debhilitating it can be -I think I have Basiliar migraines, if anyone hears of any tips for that particular type, please let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom