Fact America's NOT facist!

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
They need radio tags to work out how many pupils are in each day...doesnt sound like a very organised school..thats the kind of tech approach walmart might use...open to abuse?
Well obvously.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
this in a country where they have students shooting up the schools with automatic weapons ? and youre worried about THIS ?!

priorities much

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah, ID trackers wouldn't bother me one bit.

The real story here is; "Ms Hernandez refused to wear the tag because it conflicted with her religious beliefs" but Scouse couldn't post that 'cause he agrees with a dirty religionist :p

opticle

Part of the furniture
Weapons or no, its a sorry state of affairs when you have to track innocent people. Says a lot for society.

Not to mention enforcing attendance, rather than allowing people to make that choice through free will. Some kids always used to bunk off at school all the time - but the majority would make the choice not to, and I think that's important.

Then again, I guess schools here use Registers to make sure people are attending - so electronicafying it isn't a huge change - unless they're GPS too (?) beyond the classrooms.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
This is no different from workers using the cards to check in and out of work.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah not quite, but not that different.

Let's say it like this, i can see the issue people might have, but i don't see the problem/downside.

opticle

Part of the furniture
You forget that kids aren't adults.

I wonder what effect it'd have on a kid's social development/responsiblity/etc. to know that from the age of 10-18 his movements are tracked and monitored and he HAS to turn up and CANT go anywhere or do anything he's not supposed to - then suddenly they're not and he can if he wants. But then again, we keep registers here, so if it's purely attendance - meh.

The kids can do whatever they want outside of school. Restricting freedom encourages rebellion. *meh*

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Not many read the article. Care to comment on this part of it:
student tagging and locating projects were the first step in producing a "compliant citizenry". "These 'student locator' programmes are ultimately aimed at getting students used to living in a total surveillance state where there will be no privacy, and wherever you go and whatever you text or email will be watched by the government

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah, that's speculation and scaremongering.

What are the cold hard facts of this system? It tracks if students are on school grounds.

That's it.

Let's put this system in the primary schools, somewhere where kids are 7-10. Wouldn't it be really safe if they knew if a kid went out of the school area and could track them?

Mey

Part of the furniture
To be fair, you have totally just quoted what the Dad said about it in the article. Which is total Bullshit. Compliant citizen?

Have you taken a look out the window recently half the civilised world is already full of "compliant citizens"..

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Nothing to do with "fascism". I completely disagree with what the school is doing but the thinking behind what they're doing is an inevitability. As it happens their chosen technology is ridiculously easy for the kids to get around, rendering it a pointless waste of time (if you were doing this right you'd track them via their phones).

opticle

Part of the furniture
Let's put this system in the primary schools, somewhere where kids are 7-10. Wouldn't it be really safe if they knew if a kid went out of the school area and could track them?

For small kids <10 I think keeping them safe is reasonable and could prevent the few isolated cases of grief there are - of which there have been several lately :( But you shouldn't let those things scare you into going too far. Beyond a certain age you have to start trusting kids, otherwise they'll never learn to take responsibility for themselves and their actions, in or out of school.
Not many read the article. Care to comment on this part of it:

Read that, wasn't sure how much was conjecture and how much fact, but it is a stepping stone in that direction.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
the few isolated cases of grief

you mean...kid meets nutball. nutball removes tracker. nutball vanishes with kid? the scenario that you can do fuck all about? the same fake security feeling as not being allowed to take liquids on planes?

opticle

Part of the furniture
you mean...kid meets nutball. nutball removes tracker. nutball vanishes with kid? the scenario that you can do fuck all about? the same fake security feeling as not being allowed to take liquids on planes?

..Reasonable point :)

But perhaps it'd take the nuitball a while to get into a place where they could remove the tracker - at least you'd have a last known location.

Lol, perhaps we should just put intradermal chips in.. activateable only by court order or something. S:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

Or nutball puts tracker on a random car and disappears with kid in the other direction!

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
exactly Raven. imo if you have to jump through hoops to activate an idea, then it's a bad idea. unless you're a fascist, where you can simply force bad ideas to be mandatory. :(

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I'll say it for the 752nd time, Handy today, compulsory tomorrow.

This will include
DNA profiling
GPS car monitoring
Face recognition software
24/7 personal recording units
Dashboard cams
Brain scans
Eye tracking
Drug sensing car ignition block
Online search profiling (probably happening now)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So could someone answer what the harm is in this?

Opticle raised a good point about it affecting a kid growing up and as such affecting the way the kid thinks, but other then that there's no real reasons for this to be evil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom